Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
fmsunoco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2384
Laptop or Desktop

I am going to start Rving full time in March, and would like to have your opinion on Laptop or Desktop in a trailer.

Right now, I have a desktop in my 3575 trailer.

Thanks!

Frank
in Massachusetts

fmsunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Montana_2505
Established Member

M.O.C. #2505
Hi! We left our desktop in the stickhouse which as soon as we can get back to Texas, will be emptied out!!
We have two laptops in the RV here in Colorado. One (the newest one) he calls mine, and the other "his". Pretty necessary since traveling constantly in his work, everything has to be emailed or faxed. We subscribed to an internet fax service, and have Direcway satellite internet. Will cells, we find little use for landline these days. Our 5er has a built in desk and with the dining room table, two laptops do great, but I really wouldn't want to think of the extra space my desktop would use. Plus, the laptops go with us when we can't take the RV. I highly recommend a laptop, but I bet if you wanna, you'll make space for your desktop. Oh, yeah....when we first started trying this full time camper thing (after almost 2 years of hotels UGH!) we started in a 23' bumperpull ....and I DID have my desktop in there for awhile. Just a regular flatscreen monitor (NOT LCD) (at about a zillion pounds) on the dining table. Good Luck with your decision!!
Montana_2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As of a few days ago Lorraine and I each have our own laptops.
But the newest one I call "mine" and the other "ours". Ain't that just like a man??
I was told not to travel with a desktop PC in the RV as they are not made to be jostled around. The cards in a PC are more susceptible to loosening or even falling out.
Whereas a laptop is designed to be portable and can take the abuse of being moved from one place to another.
And they take up a heck of a lot less space and they weigh a heck of a lot less. As fulltimers space and weight are very important factors to take into consideration.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I use the laptop in ours just to save the space. The laptop does travel better also. I have a HP printer that also travels well.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Frank -

I'd recommend you consider both the RV lifestyle you plan on leading and the way you intend to use the computer.

With larger screens available today, the major drawback to a laptop, in my opinion, is the reduced size of the keyboard and the fact that most have pointing devices rather than a mouse. I'll also quickly point out that both a mouse and a full size keyboard can be added to most laptops for less than $100. If all you're doing is surfing and emailing - and maybe keeping a travel log - the laptop will be fine. If you're planning on writing the Great American Novel, either a desktop or an external keyboard may be useful. Another consideration is that equivalent functionality is usally a little more expensive in a laptop.

If you're a weekender/vacationer, I'd recommend a laptop since you can take it in and out easily. (That's me. I haul out the laptop, which includes built in Wi-Fi capability.) Even the fulltimers like Glenn prefer the laptops. Now if we could get Steve R to pop in here... he's a fulltimer who does a lot of writing... I think he's using a laptop too.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordonR

Frank -

I'd recommend you consider both the RV lifestyle you plan on leading and the way you intend to use the computer.
With larger screens available today, the major drawback to a laptop, in my opinion, is the reduced size of the keyboard and the fact that most have pointing devices rather than a mouse. I'll also quickly point out that both a mouse and a full size keyboard can be added to most laptops for less than $100. If all you're doing is surfing and emailing - and maybe keeping a travel log - the laptop will be fine. If you're planning on writing the Great American Novel, either a desktop or an external keyboard may be useful. Another consideration is that equivalent functionality is usally a little more expensive in a laptop.
If you're a weekender/vacationer, I'd recommend a laptop since you can take it in and out easily. (That's me. I haul out the laptop, which includes built in Wi-Fi capability.) Even the fulltimers like Glenn prefer the laptops. Now if we could get Steve R to pop in here... he's a fulltimer who does a lot of writing... I think he's using a laptop too.
Gordon
Yeah anyway where is Steve?? Thought sure he'd be one of the 1st to jump in here.

Anyway, I do have the Toshiba M35X series laptop with a fullsize keyboard (9.95) and the new optical Logitech mouse (24.95).
Turned the dining table into a 'puter desk which also has an HP scanner/copier/printer setting on it.

HEY Steve!! Where are ya?????
Old 11-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Keyboard, etc, ends up being a personal preference. I have used laptops for so long that I am now on my 4th one! I wear them out, not the case, but the harddrives, mother boards, keyboards, etc.! The newest one, I purchased the neatest mouse, wireless, with a USB module. I mean SLICK!

I use my laptops almost exclusively, haul them around to libraries and research facilities and in and out of cars/trucks/vans and RVs so much it is impressive that I have never broken anything on the laptop doing the carting.

Mine is set up for wireless, modem to AOL for those times I have to plug into a land line (if you have to tote your computer to the campground office or community building to connect to that landline you are gonna be real glad you are toting a laptop and not a desktop), and cellphone useage.

I have written a number of books on mine and am currently editing about 10 more. I use it for photos, databases, email, word processing and......

I would not have a desk top in the RV, for the reasons that Glenn stated, rough roads and such, nope, not me.

I know that Steve R. has 3 lap tops with him, one for the GPS, one for him and one for his better half (err, Vicki). He totes his and Vicki's around on the bed in the 5er, or at least that is what I remember him telling us before.

I am rather paranoid about mine (better make that VERY VERY paranoid), and refuse to leave it in the 5er, it goes in the truck every day we travel. I do leave the portable scanner, and small printer on the bed, but NOT my laptop!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Laptops are better for what they do and there is nothing wrong with a desktop. 19" thinline flat screen sure is easy on the eyes. My HP has an array of periferals that won't fit into a laptop.

There will come a time when I feel like I can invest in an upper end laptop that will compete favorably with my fully featured desktop. But until then, I will just have to make it work.

I do have an older laptop that I use for research and for Power Point presentations. It is not feasable to upgrade the unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles, you have peaked my curiosity, what hardware can't you hook up to a laptop?? I have a feeling you are playing with some great toys. Maybe something I need to learn here, something to buy Al for this coming holiday???

Carol
Old 11-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Laptop!!! If you need a big screen hook hit up to your TV.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
No question the laptop wins on just about everything. The only ways to travel is with a laptop. All for the obvious reasons. Space, weight, portability, etc. Go for the laptop. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gee, folks, I've only been gone from MOC about a day! We had a granddaughters night last night and all day today. We had a great time. Can't say I missed y'all that much, though! (Just kidding).

Yes, we have 3 laptops, hers, mine, and the truck's. You have to remember computers was my career and I bought my first home computer in 1980. And worked on the forerunners to PC's in the mid-70's in a test for the Navy. Anyhow, that's what we have.

Frank, you asked for opinions. Mine is that a laptop is a better choice for fulltiming but it's do-able with a desktop. The reason I say that about a laptop is that unless you have satellite internet in your rig you may want to transport your laptop to the communal internet hookup at many campgrounds.

The other reason is that laptops are built to withstand some shaking and bouncing, within reason. Desktops are not super fragile but the harddrives can crash a head with a jolt that a laptop would withstand.

If you choose to keep your desktop onboard I'd recommend when you get ready to hit the road you move the CPU unit (with drives) and place it on the bed. The best ride is up over the truck plus the mattress cushions any hard jolts. Even though laptops can handle a reasonable amount of bouncing around, ours still ride on the bed. The printer goes on the bed also. The scanner is on a shelf in the front closet and does fine right there. I have a USB harddrive I use for backups. It rides in the closet as well and has done fine over about 25k miles or more.

I think we have a member, maybe more, who on this question awhile back mentioned they have a desktop and just leave it at the desk and it's done fine. So maybe they'll chime in with their experiences.

By the way, I use a mouse (trackball) with my laptop but use the standard keyboard. We used to have one of those MS Natural keyboards that would attach to the laptop via the ps/2 port. You also can get USB keyboards. It was for Vicki but she never used it so now it's in our son's basement. I don't care for the onboard mouse, too slow for me (I'm kind of a speed typist and anything that slow annoys me). The separate keyboard and mouse are options with most laptops.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:20 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My office.......

Old 11-23-2004, 02:53 AM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite M30 and have sold my desktop. Other than the obvious size advantage for use in the RV, we use it in the truck along with a GPS and MS Streets and Trips. I've had laptops at work for years and like the freedom of moving around they offer.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
A few years ago we had a PC that we hauled around in our 5W. We drove many miles on a lot of bad roads and had no problem with it although we rarely used it. Now have a Dell 5100 wireless laptop with a Starband satellite system and love it. If you are traveling around, you might want a brand name that you can get fixed most everywhere. The savings in space and weight makes the laptop the better choice plus all the other reasons everyone has given. The same capabilities will cost more, but not too much more.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
Montana_2265

M.O.C. #2265
Hi Frank...great question, I use a lap-top and run my IT business from it...VPN to my servers in Tampa and Miami....works just find...you can use wireless mouse and number key pad to enhance the fuctionality if you need them. Most of the parks offer wireless access and Bay Bayou gives wireless broadband free....of course if you are in the Tampa-Bay or Miami area you can always contact TampaBayDSL or GoldCoastDSL for broadband access.....great company and honest folks.

Jim
Montana_2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #17
Jeilering
Established Member

M.O.C. #509
This is our third year fulltime traveling with our desk top. The first year in a 2955 and the last two years in a 3295. We have had no problems or broken hardware in our desk top thus far. We have the CPU located inside a cabinet under the sink, way back in a inner corner thats good only for storage of items you never use, making it accessable with the door open located to the left of our desk. The printer and scanner or set up under the desk in the knee space on a wire shelf. The desk holds our flat screen monitor, keyboard and speakers that we unhook and store under desk when on the road, so far no problems with this setup from traveling across the country. When on the road we use Pocketmail between telephone hookups. Never having had a laptop we are very satisfied with this setup.
Jeilering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #18
Montana_1450
Established Member

M.O.C. #1450
Have been traveling with my desktop fulltime since 1996, fist in a Motorhome, now in our 3295RK, with only once shorting out a hard drive since the guy who put it in the computer did not tighten all the screws. Now, whenever I get an upgrade I make sure to mention that the unit rides in an RV. Until I got satellite internet, I also used a laptop to take wherever I could connect. The CPU sits on the floor under the desk (I'd be afraid to put it under the sink!), the flat screen monitor sits on the desk, the printer on a shelf I added above the desk. Everything stays hooked up and in its place while traveling and nothing ever crashed. I have never been as comfortable with the laptop as I am with my PC. I made another shelf right above the CPU (under the desk) for the scanner, so everything is handy and ready whenever I need it. In fact, I don't put many things away for traveling: The Coffee Maker and Cookie Jar ride on the counter, and smaller items like candles - and a full cup of coffee once or twice -survived without tumbling. I've never ridden in this 5th wheel, but it must certainly "glide" smoother than the truck that's pulling it.
Montana_1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ulrike,

I am amazed that nothing spills, falls over, the hard drive still functions. I am TRULY amazed. The back or our 3295 bounces around so much I could type for days about the stuff that moves. Here is one of my "best"??? examples.

Illinois 47 south from the Marango area, to just west of Kankakee, 17 east thru Kankakee and then wiggled our way over to Bremen for the MOC Rally in September. All secondary roads.

Had left a 3/4 full bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap IN the sink, have done so many times, no trouble, till this time! Found upon arrival that it had bounced OUT of that deep sink, onto the countertop, where a puddle of soap was found, the size of the bottom of a good sized coffee mug. Next, it rolled or bounced or walked or moved somehow off the counter top and into the corner, right beside the slide, on the kitchen floor, where it proceeded to make a puddle the size of a desert plate (about 6 to 8 inches around). That is where I found it.

So, you can see where I am truly amazed.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, we talked about this at the rally and I know you have lots of bouncing going on back there. I wonder if your wheels are way out of balance, contributing to the bouncing? We have more bouncing back there than does Ulrike but a whole lot less than you. Our wheels are not balanced but I think they should be. Balanced tires on new Montanas is something I'd like to see Keystone provide. As far as I've seen, nobody gets a new FW or TT with factory balanced wheels. I just got a new spare to replace the one I had bought used, the one with the wrong load range that contributed to an axle alignment problem and I had that one balanced. Naturally it's the spare and not on the ground.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote