Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

We started this trip from Hot Springs Village, Ar. to Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa,Illinois and to Philadelphia, Pa.
Currently in Freehold, New Jersey and are heading for Knoxville, Tn. and would like to take in the "Blue Ridge Parkway" enroute, but the other "BOSS" thinks it will be to hard to traverse with truck and trl.
Would like some feedback and advise on how difficult it would be to make this side trip.
I know the speed limit is 45mph or less but not sure on how hard it is to maneuver the roads.
Also how difficult is it to find a RV park.
Any input would be appreciated.
AL OLSON aka Kountry Traveler

On Edit: Moved to a more appropriate category - CRAFT-Guy

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
It can be slow for sure but a beautiful drive so take your time....campgrds can be far apart and sometimes have to go to valley to get one...depends on where you are when you want a campgrd...also sometimes it is not convinent to get off just anywhere. .so plan your day and stay....seems more campgrds in NC section...I can tell you Montibello campgrd is a no no for big Montanas...couple of real nice ones near I77 and the parkway.... and near Boone NC and further south...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Al, If you do not mind the slow travel you should be fine on the parkway. Others have traveled it without any problems. There are a few tunnels between Cherokee and Ashville that are a little low so you may want to check this website.
Many of the National Park Campgrounds are not big enough for the Montana but there are a lot of private ones that will be not problem. The big tour buses travel it all the time.
Hope you have a good time and trip.
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...el-heights.htm
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There are several RV parks on the parkway. It is a slow and winding road but why would you wont to go fast. That would be like running through a museum. It's one one the most beautiful roads in the nation. If you are traveling down I 81 get on the parkway at Lu ray Va. Then if you wont to you can get off at Roanoke, and back an 81. South of Roanoke is my favorite place. If you are through the last week of July stop at the Floyd fest. Its on the parkway has lot of music of all types and other things to enjoy. Its about 40 or so miles south of Roanoke. I live about 10 miles from the parkway.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Would be a long slow trip, but if you follow it all the way to the end you will be near Maggie Valley NC, Biltmore House, Cherokee, Cataloochie Valley(Elk herd), Great Smokie Mtn Nat Park, Gatlinburg, lots to see and do. Parkway is beautiful scenery.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This has been discussed before and I was under the impression that you cannot take the Monty the entire way due to tunnel heights in some sections. Can anyone confirm they do or do NOT have tunnel height restrictions?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We started on the Shenandoah and took it as far as Asherville.. After that there are some 10' bridges.. It was wonderful but be real careful when you pull over for the scenic views.. If you can not see where you will park, don't go there.. We got into one that was a no-no and had to back out a long ways on a very steep section. We went off the Parkway when we stopped for the night (night's) and found lots of great places to explore. The last time we did this route it was in Oct. and the leaves were beautiful. We took about a month to drive this.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think some of those tunnels are 10 foot or less in the area Wayne mentioned. We've driven that part but not towed it. Most of the parkway should be just fine for towing and you can probably route around those tunnels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We just came back from Asheville N.C. and the Monty will not be able to go thru the tunnels, 10 foot clearance. We also stopped at Luray and drove the skyline drive too. (all without the 5th wheel)

In my opinion I would not take the Monty on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it has a lot of curves and can be very steep at times. The parkway is beautiful but I think it is much more enjoyable to stay in a campground off the parkway, go drive and explore a portion of the parkway, and be able to pull off whenever you want. Go see a section at a time and move on to another campground. (that's what we did)

If your wife is concerned now, she will be very concerned when you drive it with the Monty. Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

We just came back from Asheville N.C. and the Monty will not be able to go thru the tunnels, 10 foot clearance. We also stopped at Luray and drove the skyline drive too. (all without the 5th wheel)

In my opinion I would not take the Monty on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it has a lot of curves and can be very steep at times. The parkway is beautiful but I think it is much more enjoyable to stay in a campground off the parkway, go drive and explore a portion of the parkway, and be able to pull off whenever you want. Go see a section at a time and move on to another campground. (that's what we did)
I agree with you, park off the PW and travel in TV. Many convenient CGs.

If your wife is concerned now, she will be very concerned when you drive it with the Monty. Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
We drove the parkway last year but I totally agree with Mainer. Drop the Monty and enjoy the ride. We stayed at Shanendoah, Lenoir, and Brevard and took day-trips from those points.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
I want to say thank you to all for the information about the the Parkway. The best advice was to park the trailer and go with the tow vehicle. We really enjoyed it and got home on the 28th of July and now will head for Estes Park, Co. on August 8 and be back in Hot Springs Village, Ar. about Aug. 26.
Thanks again and safe travels.
Al Olson aka; Kountry Traveler
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Slow is really the opertative word....the highest speed is generally around 35MPH.
but if you go you must stop at little switzerland and walk around the lodge...the view is unbelieveable.
enjoy.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Agree with Mainer, also as driver your view of all the scenic stuff is very limited a lot of the time, you will have your hands full.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote