Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
GeorgiaDave

M.O.C. #9681
What is the downside of Fulltiming?

We have ask "What do we need to know" and received wonderful responses. Now we need to know if there are any problems you have encountered by Fulltiming. Are there any?

Thanks again!
Georgia and Dave

GeorgiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been Fulltiming for 6 years and can come up with an endless lists of pros but try as I may I can't find any cons. In a heart beat I would do it all over again.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
The only issue we experienced was there wasn't enough room for Christmas presents!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GeorgiaDave

We have ask "What do we need to know" and received wonderful responses. Now we need to know if there are any problems you have encountered by Fulltiming. Are there any?

Thanks again!
Georgia and Dave
Been full timing for nine years withe only downside being maintenance on both the Montana and the truck. Vehicles have problems that need fixing, so we have them fixed. Have to fix a stick house too but most of the time we don't even think about that.

We don't own a stick house. Everything we own we carry with us except for a few incidental items we leave in our shed on our leased lot in Lakewood, NM.

Would we do it again? You bet!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hmmm. Let's see. . .hmmmmm. We just celebrated our 10th year fulltiming and I can't think of anything that would deter us from doing it again. We've had some mechanical problems along the way, but nothing that made us want to stop.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
While I am enjoying travelling, I can't help but think: "What's Next?" Not having a permanemt site may affect you somewhat. Can't collect souvenirs on the road - weight.. Always wondering where you will be staying next. Massive planning to make trips go smoothly. Receiving maintenance while living in the unit can sometimes put you out of your home. Mail and meds can be a hassle. Permanent residence for voting??? These are a few I can thinkk of. Keep in mind that these can, and are being, overcome by many of us.

We are still having a ball but when we get done travelling we will look forward to a permanent residence, one with little grass, I hope......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I'm not a full timer even though my spouse would like to be. We long time instead. I won't give up my shop and I like having a permanent place [base] to return to even though it costs more. The setting up and tearing down gets to be a bother after awhile also.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
-I don't mind being gone for a few months or so at a time, but I like a home base.

-There is no room for many of the things currently in the stick house I am not willing to part with...ditto for the D/W.

-These things are big, but get small in a hurry.

-Small refrig, small hot water heater, small closets, small dressers, no room for guests, insulation too poor to stay in cold weather.

-When traveling, I get tired of my run around vehicle being a dually...yet that's what it takes to remain within the 'numbers.'

To me, the long timer is a happy medium between full timing and week ends.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
There are "downsides" to everything ... like everything else in life, it's only as good or as bad as you want to make it.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
What Vicki said.................
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
6 1/2 years here. If I went back those 6 1/2 years knowing what I know now, would I make the same decision? You betcha.

As Vicki said, it's all in what you make it, whether you fulltime or stay home. For us, in the past, one downside was we didn't see our grandkids while we were away from the KC area. On the other hand, we now have granddaughters in KC, Washington, DC area, and in southern California. Now we'll actually see them more often because we are traveling and can plan our travels to see them.

Phil mentioned some downsides. Some of those can be solved, though. We are registered to vote in our legal residence state of South Dakota. We get absentee ballots. We also have our mail sent to our legal address (we don't own anything there) in SD and have it forwarded to us on our schedule. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance and can get our meds at any pharmacy that accepts that insurance in their state. So it's easy for us but could be a problem for some with other insurance.

At first, getting cash and paying ATM fees is something I thought would be a problem. First, we pay most bills online or have them setup to draft our bank account automaticallly (includes our credit cards). For cash, we just buy something at a Walmart and use our debit card, choosing the cashback option. Up to $100 cash for each checkout. If we need more we split our purchases and each go to a different checkout line and each get $100. If we need more, buy some, get cash, put purchases in truck, buy some more, get more cash, up to the limit the bank allows per day.

Living together in a small space will test the strength and commitment of your marriage. We took a five week trial run prior to starting our fulltiming, just to make sure we could survive this. We both occasionally need "Vicki time" or "Steve time." I'll take off and go to Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply or whatever while Vicki stays home. Or she takes off and goes shopping or has lunch with friends, etc. It works for us. You'll find what works for you, too.

It's sometimes hard to get out of "vacation mode" and learn to slow down and enjoy the journey. By that I mean like when we were working and took a vacation we hurried up and got where we were going as quickly as possible so we could maximize our destination time. As fulltimers, the journey to get to that destination is as enjoyable, often, as the journey itself. Reduce the number of planned miles per day so when you see a sign about something you want to check out you can do it without having to rush to your day's destination. Or don't set a day's destination at all. Just find an rv park when ready to stop for the day. Take time to explore your destination area. Instead of a week, spend a month. Take some time for yourselves. Take days off, to relax, to just be retired. Let tourists have the area on the weekends.

Sorry, I got carried away. I'm really having trouble coming up with negatives. I know there's some there, I just can't think of them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fulltiming requires adjustment: scale of size, schedule, relationships, attitudes, and a dozen more. As has been mentioned, everything has both a down side and an up side. your own personal tastes and values determine what is important to you. Previous poster have revealed what they valued. Some folks have a hard time dealing with the realities of life required to full time. Others a more amenable to the flexing and challenges. Only you can determine if full timing is for you.

We selected this life style 5 years ago and were delayed 2 years in starting. We chose the limited space. We bought a rig with a double wide refrigerator. We enjoy the travel and the down times of 4 or 5 months at a time. Through local churches we establish relationships very quickly. We hold options open for an exit plan should circumstances dictate doing so.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

6 1/2 years here. If I went back those 6 1/2 years knowing what I know now, would I make the same decision? You betcha.

As Vicki said, it's all in what you make it, whether you fulltime or stay home. For us, in the past, one downside was we didn't see our grandkids while we were away from the KC area. On the other hand, we now have granddaughters in KC, Washington, DC area, and in southern California. Now we'll actually see them more often because we are traveling and can plan our travels to see them.

Phil mentioned some downsides. Some of those can be solved, though. We are registered to vote in our legal residence state of South Dakota. We get absentee ballots. We also have our mail sent to our legal address (we don't own anything there) in SD and have it forwarded to us on our schedule. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance and can get our meds at any pharmacy that accepts that insurance in their state. So it's easy for us but could be a problem for some with other insurance.

At first, getting cash and paying ATM fees is something I thought would be a problem. First, we pay most bills online or have them setup to draft our bank account automaticallly (includes our credit cards). For cash, we just buy something at a Walmart and use our debit card, choosing the cashback option. Up to $100 cash for each checkout. If we need more we split our purchases and each go to a different checkout line and each get $100. If we need more, buy some, get cash, put purchases in truck, buy some more, get more cash, up to the limit the bank allows per day.

Living together in a small space will test the strength and commitment of your marriage. We took a five week trial run prior to starting our fulltiming, just to make sure we could survive this. We both occasionally need "Vicki time" or "Steve time." I'll take off and go to Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply or whatever while Vicki stays home. Or she takes off and goes shopping or has lunch with friends, etc. It works for us. You'll find what works for you, too.

It's sometimes hard to get out of "vacation mode" and learn to slow down and enjoy the journey. By that I mean like when we were working and took a vacation we hurried up and got where we were going as quickly as possible so we could maximize our destination time. As fulltimers, the journey to get to that destination is as enjoyable, often, as the journey itself. Reduce the number of planned miles per day so when you see a sign about something you want to check out you can do it without having to rush to your day's destination. Or don't set a day's destination at all. Just find an rv park when ready to stop for the day. Take time to explore your destination area. Instead of a week, spend a month. Take some time for yourselves. Take days off, to relax, to just be retired. Let tourists have the area on the weekends.

Sorry, I got carried away. I'm really having trouble coming up with negatives. I know there's some there, I just can't think of them.
Steve has said it all. He also pointed out something that many of us have missed in our replies when he said "Living together in a small space will test the strength and commitment of your marriage." Your significant other most be more than your spouse and lover. He/She must also be your absolute "BEST FRIEND"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The only negative thing we can find in our lifestyle is wait so long to start it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers for over 3 years now. We spend 9 months or more "on the road" There are negatives and positives to everything..Nothing is perfect. We like our stick home even tho we are not here all that much. It is the only investment we have that we are still in the black in and normally will increase in value every year. We could not full time forever and sooner or later would have to settle down and purchase a stick residence of some sort, somewhere. We have a substantial equity in the stick house and most important our budget allows us to keep it and maintain it. We look forward to being on the road as we are now preparing for our 6 months in Florida..and.. we always look forward to our time here. I think we have the best of both worlds. The are negatives to long timing..The biggest negative is the cost of maintaining a stick home.

Whichever you choose you will make it work.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We didn't find any negatives. But its a major life style change. It will take a lot of discipline to maintain your health and not gain a lot of weight and get Lazy. And living in less that 400 sq feet is test of your Love for your wife in my case that was no problem. We are always together. You will learn very fast how to downsize everything. But just remember its not always roses, there will be days that will make you ask is this really what I want to do. When we started full timing we sold everything or gave it away, which I think is the thing to do. However we did have to stop full timing due to Medical issues with Delaine's mom. And built another house, and had to buy everything again. And we now are thinking of going full time again. We are now in the 5th wheel 6 to 8 months out of the year. We probably will not sell the stick house, due to the Change thats taking place in our Country. Your health is the big issue. A 5th wheel isn't designed for serious Medical issues. So its really a lot to think about. Its so easy to say how great it is as long as your in good health. Good Luck on your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
GeorgiaDave

M.O.C. #9681
Thanks for all the replies! It certainly looks like everything can be handled quite easily. I'm glad to get the reply saying your health must be good. We are currently healthy, altho' Dave has recently gone through treatments for prostate cancer. We are both 63 now and have a rock & mineral business so we travel all over the USA to collect rocks and do Rock & Mineral Shows - we also travel to Mexico and Brazil to collect. So, we are very active - when we are home I go to the gym 3-5 times each week and we both bicycle. When we start fulltiming we will be 68 which I know is fairly old to start.
Another question we have is once we sell our stick home how do we establish residency for taxes, voting, etc? We live in central Illinois.

Thanks in advance!
Georgia
GeorgiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Georgia,

When we started fulltiming we sold the house in Calif. and became South Dakota residence. Many fulltimers us South Dakota as they have no state income tax, they are one of the lowest for medical and vehicle insurance. It is fairly easy to become a resident in South Dakota and there are several mail service companies to do it through. We are with My Home Address in Emery South Dakota. They make it easy to transition and handle all the work except for you drivers license, which you have to do yourself. We have been with them for 3 years now and it has been a wonderful experience. There web site is at www.myhomeaddressinc.com
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
The only downside we have experienced is a nagging worry- What happens when I can't hook up and go one more day? In other words, there has been no regret on our part for 10 years- Just do it one day at a time and ENJOY!!!! We have met many who are now true friends and a few stinkers, just like in a stick house- And if you end up next to a stinker, just hook up and move on- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GeorgiaDave

Another question we have is once we sell our stick home how do we establish residency for taxes, voting, etc? We live in central Illinois.

Thanks in advance!
Georgia
I forgot to mention the reason I suggested slowing down, getting out of vacation mode, is that if you keep on hurrying and hurrying, pretty soon it wears you out. Slow down and enjoy yourselves.

When you have no property it is pretty simple to become a resident of most other states, at least the states we fulltimers choose. We chose South Dakota but Florida and Texas are also good options. Many who chose Texas use Escapees. They can tell you the procedure. Florida used to have a company called My Home Base or something like that, in Pensacola. We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD but the one in Emory and the one if Rapid City are also good choices.

We drove up to Sioux Falls rather than taking the Montana (it was February!) and spent a night in a motel. Next morning we signed up with Alternative Resources, took care of our insurance (our carrier did not sell in SD so we had to change), went to the courthouse to register our vehicles, get our drivers licenses, register to vote and sign up for absentee ballots. From the time we left the motel that morning until we were ready to head back to Topeka, KS, took four hours. The people in the courthouse in Minnehaha County (Sioux Falls) are very familiar with rv'ers and are prepared to do their jobs without question. It's probably the same in the other locations but I haven't tried them. Alternative Resources will help guide you through the process, if that makes you more comfortable. And I'm sure the otehrs will, too, whichever state you choose.

Another nice thing bout Minnehaha County -- a couple of months ago I received notice of jury duty, along with a questionnaire. I called the phone number to see if I could get out of it. Before I could say anything I had to listen to the recording which said immediately that if we are fulltime rv'ers we are to turn the questionnaire over, write "fulltime rv'ers" on it, sign and date it, send it back in the supplied envelope and they will send us a written notice we are excused from jury duty. Whoohoo! Yes, I got that written excuse. I do not know whether the other sites in SD (they're in other counties) or the ones in Texas and Florida do that for you. You might check on that wherever you're thinking of taking up residency.

I also like that in South Dakota I pay no state or local income tax, I pay no property tax on vehicles including the Montana and pay no sales tax on vehicle purchases, including the Montana. There is a 3% excise tax on the trade DIFFERENCE for vehicles including the truck, our car, and the Montana. We did not pay any tax when registering because we were previously registered in Kansas (not a new purchase, in other words). Also, SD has the third lowest insurance rates in the USA. And SD was convenient for us. Other states might be more convenient for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote