Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK new owners of the '08 Ford Super Dutys

Tell me how you like them, and what improvements over the old ones.
Two Turbo chargers??
Cool beans.......

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozz. I drove one for two days,F-350 CC, LB, SWD, 4X4, 6.4L. It was very quiet but contrary to what has been said by others it could be heard inside the cab. No turbo lag and I did everything to encourage it. Very quick off the line. The MPG was not impresesive not towing..Little better that my 05V-10 but the truck was brand new. I like the design and all over look better than my 05.. I may buy one????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
You know Ozz it would be good to get Rich in to a real rich truck go to the king ranch ,, all the way john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ozz: while you asked for 2008 owners, I am not quite one yet (truck being built week of Sep. 3rd). I have driven 2008s but not long, or hard, or in tow mode. So comparing the behavior to my current 6.0L is a little early. Other than that, compared to my 2004, these are the things that changed for the better:
  • Increased Towing Capacity - a biggie for us with a 8800 GVW 2004 truck.
  • Integrated Trailer Brake (aka Tow Command) - another biggie for us, but you already had that on yours.
  • Power Mirrors - we always forget to extend/retract the stupid mirrors.
  • Tailgate Step - Looking forward to this one.
  • Separate A/C controls - driver and passenger control their own temperature. Also includes rear seat ducts for better cooling in back
  • Electrochromatic (aka self dimming) Rear View Mirror - New to us (might have been installed on 2006/2007 model), but not sure what value it is. How many times have you been bothered by bright lights behind you when driving the truck? Usually we are the ones blinding the guy in front of us.
  • Compass in Mirror - (Job 2 - built after July)
  • Tire Pressure Monitor - (Job 2 - built after July) still not sure how well this works.
  • CD Radios now MP3 Compatible - The iPod plugs right in
  • Audiophile Sound System- four additional speakers and a sub-woofer. Since the motor is so quiet, we need to make more noise.
  • Reverse Camera System - (Job 2 - built after July) displays in the mirror.
I am sure there are more, but these jump out at me.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Boy, they sure sound sweet, I came from GM to Ford, and have been very happy except for my driveling problem, thanks for your input.
Rich.....go for it!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Go for it you guys!!

Other than the truck was upside down when the guy screwed on the headlights, they are nice. Love the interior layout.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dang, just as I was about to buy a Dodge with no leather seats, and no lots of other stuff just to get the Cummins. Love those bells and whistles.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey OZZ, check with Bill Collier, he had a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE in Branson.. He should have enough miles on it by now to tell you what he thinks.....And Stiles, Check out the Dodge Laramie all leather with the TOOTS and WHISTLES.... STEVE R can tell you guys about his Dodge 6.7. Cummins. and then if you would tell your dealers that I sent you we can split the BIRD DOG FEE. Help pay for marshmellows and weiners at the Branson CampFire, ho ho ho Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All that fancy stuff on the king ranch does not make it tow better. Besides..way over my budget. But they are purtty.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Hey OZZ, you missed your chance to drive mine while we were in Branson. I havent done any pulling since I returned from Branson except for taking it to the dealer but I really like this truck, the ride is exceptional, empty and towing. The last leg of my trip from Branson on flat land I got 12 mph. The difference between this one and my 03 is like night and day. The one option I like the most is the Navigation system, satelite radio, works and sounds much better that I had hoped.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We were also in Branson with our new '08. It was brand new at that time. First pull. We just got back from a trip to Estes Park with the Monty. It performed very well with no problems. I really like it as I have said before on this forum. I reset the trip computer when we left the KC area and the average MPG (roundtrip) is 11.0. It still has only 3.5K miles on it. I think the ride is better than my '04 and unlike Rich I hear very little if any noise at crusing speed (65 MPH) when pulling, and yes my hearing is not as great as it once was. There is increased noise if pulling a hill and it has to downshift. Love the integrated brake system and Power fold and extend mirrors.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Jim, I got the gasser version with just the XLT trim. The ride is solid and with just shy of 1 ton pin weight, I get about 2-2 1/2 " sag on the rear. I love the way it sits level loaded or not. The box and fenders (dually) sit down on the frame instead of up on top like your previous brand does. I do agree that the lights were put in upside down but they sure do work good. The truck I found has the heavy duty front suspension so the ride is "truck", but that is alright. May stand up to our Missouri highways a little better. Everyone I have talked to has liked the new oil burner. Twin turbo's are only new to light trucks. They have been around for years over in Europe. Have fun shopping. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Bob. Good report, do the large tires present a clearance problem on the already lofty Monte? I don't know how high your new one is.
The automatic retraction and extension of the mirrors is a very nice feature, as is the one touch folding mirrors. I have scrape marks and White paint on mine. I have 1" on each side pulling into the garage.....
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill and Bruce, I was admiring your trucks there. The hood open is like a big rig, how do they get all that stuff in there? What height tires do you guys have, and those would raise my Monte 2" or so, I was wondering how close to the bed rails I can get and still tow in uneven conditions? I guess I would need to drop my hitch, as I have the Sat. dome up front and the A/C.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did not mean to imply that the 6.4 was noisy.It is a very quiet diesel. I should have said that compaired to the V-10, which you really can't hear running inside the cab, you do know that there is a diesel under the hood of the 6.4. OZZ.I found that the 4X4 swd was @ 3 inches higher than my 4X2 dually.I think that was with the 20 inch tires.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #16
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Well Ozz, with Ron having his new F450 for about a week now we can't offer much insight on your question at this time. I can, however, tell you that Ron is still glassy eyed, feverish and light headed from the new truck smell!

Matter of fact he is sitting in the new beast at this very moment, with manual in hand, muttering something about "no oil pressure guage, just a d___ idiot light" -- I think he is disappointed about something.

From my viewpoint, I like the redesigned dash (it is lovely just as nice as an expensive car), dual air controls, automagic side mirrors (can't tell you how many times I had to hang out the window and pull out the side mirrors while driving down the road), the rear step tail gate is really cool, the ride is unbeliveably quiet and smooth (I may even be able to read a book while traveling down the road)along with a cleaner exhaust.

On the downside, this truck is soooooo big that I feel intiminated and will take me some time to adjust to the size before I take it for a spin around the block. Also, a small stool would be nice to get into the cab for that first step is a dilly!!!

Anyways, we should be able to give you some meaningful feedback after Ron gets some driving and towing experience under his belt.

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Vic I'm happy for you guys. Where to this Winter? Got to break that big beast in.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #18
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Ron must have read the entire truck manual this morning while sitting in his new beast. The F450 DOES NOT have an oil pressure guage - it is a red light - disappointment. He prefers a "he-man" guage.

Also in reading about the integrated brake controller Ron discovered it is not a FULLY integrated system. Per the manual "the TBC has only been verified to be compatable with trailers having electric actuated drum brakes and NOT hydraulic surge or electric-over-hydraulic types."

Can anyone explain what hydraulic surge or electric-over-hydraulic brake systems are??? We are confused --guess we thought all brakes were electric actuated drum brakes.

Ozz - plans are again for the Rio Grande Valley, Arizona and New Mexico.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Vickster,

Hydraulic surge brakes are primarily used on boat trailers but are sometimes found on utility trailers. Hydraulic master cylinder located in trailer tongue - when stopping inertia is applied between trailer and TV the trailer tongue applies hydraulic brakes at the axle. Because there is nothing electric involved, the tow command cannot integrate with these brakes.

(However, the trailer/haul mode is still very effective with surge brakes. I tow our boat with the Ford tow command and it still downshifts just like it does with the Monty)

Electric over hydraulic brakes are typically the retrofit type disk brakes for your trailer, where the electric voltage from the electric actuator physically pushes on a hydraulic master cylinder located in the trailer that applies the hydraulic disk brakes. (The Tow Command is probably more effective on these type of brakes than Ford wants to admit).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I also have been watching with interest the new Ford 6.4L. Have been very happy with my Duramax/Allison, but it is a 2001 and will need an upgrade soon and I will go to a Dual Rear Wheel.
But just a point in fact: Ford does not have twin turbos on the engine. it actually has a single turbo, with two sets of vanes. One for the low pressure which spools up faster to prevent turbo lag, and a high pressure that comes on after the low pressure spools up to really increase the turbo pressures, upwards of 34-37 pounds of boost.
Cummins and Duramax use a variable vane. Same single turbo, but only one vane but it is variable geometry. Still, both are a good system, with the variable geometry having a couple of years use already on it.

Good luck in your hunt for your new truck!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote