Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Slide Seal Traction Pads

Somewhere - I saw some stick on textured strips, almost like traction pads for steps, the you put on the sides of your slides to help the black seal flip out when the slides are extended.

Noticed ours are hit and miss, with the kitchen slide seals never fully flipping out. Might be because it's new, but maybe not. I'm using the awning rod to pull them out now.

Anybody use these traction pads?? Just curious how well they work.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Might work, would the abrasive 'sand' the rubber to much and damage it??
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wondered that too Ozz
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Brad, I do the same thing that you do. Seems to work just fine and I also agree the rough surface could damage the seal. After setting up,I take the awning rod and walk around the camper and make sure the seals are flipped out like they should be. Simple and works great.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I don't know if anyone makes it, but some type of adhesive backed rubber strip would probably do the trick. It wouldn't be abrasive to the seal.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
It may just be that the seals are stiff. Why not just get some seal lube spray and see if that "loosens" them up enough that the fully flip out?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mike - they are actually very pliable, to the point I'm afraid the awning rod will poke through.

Ishler - Your idea would probably work great. I have seen those sticky floor mats in clean room entries that pull dust off your shoes. However, I think you may have just solved my problem. I noticed the seals are dirty from the gel coat dust. I imagine during manufacture that dust went everywhere. I think I need to clean the seals and the sides of the slides so the rubber can get traction.

Brad
Old 05-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad, Just checked my slides and the black seal flips out completely when extended. I would think that yours should do this without any help from you. Lets us know what you find.

Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,
Just checked mine and 3 of them were not flipped out. I never thought about this before....now, I have another step to setup...Geesh!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I've never had this issue, but the roof repair material comes in 4 inch wide rolls. A well placed run of that would give a small lip I would think would be enough to catch the leading edge of the gasket as the slide moves out.
It would be difficult to install though, you don't move that material around when placing it. You'd have to determine the correct placement and remove the slide gasket for an unobstructed work space.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozzie, the strips I saw would actually be placed outside of the rubber gasket with the slides out. They are designed to flip the seal on the way, but then they are clear of the seal between the gasket/roof, and gasket/sides.

Your idea would probably work if I just installed an inch or so beyond the rubber gasket. I need to probably try to clean them first.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #12
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Before our Bristol trip, I throughly cleaned/lubed the wipers with Aerospace 303, and some of them still do not 'flip'. Some completely flip, others don't flip at all, and parts of others flip. I think the clearance between the slide and the wall where the wiper is mounted also has a bearing on it flipping. I don't think the one under our kitchen slide has ever flipped out.
I've never personally thought of it as a problem on the sides. I can see that without slide toppers, a little water could possibly get under the top wiper, especially if the wiper is not adjusted right. Short story is I don't think cleaning and lube is going to help a lot.
If I remember correctly, the seals/wipers are made from the same stuff as the roof (Dicor EPDM ?) so the same rules should apply to what is used to clean/lube with. Just MHO.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for the info DLNK -

Is there a wiper "under" the kitchen? The kitchen seems to be the worst, as it's such a short travel.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #14
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I'll have to double check this weekend while getting the rig ready for a trip over to Bull Shoals State Park in Arkansas next week for a bit of trout fishing and relaxing. I may be thinking of one on a pervious rig. We all know how the old memory gets as we get older!
Our kitchen slide moves the same amount as the entertainment center and sofa slides in the den. The bed is the only one that moves a shorter distance.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
I have a 07 3475RL with the rubber seal slide out problem on one side of the bdrm slide. The dealer sprayed slider lube on the side with the problem, didn't work. He then trimmed some of the excess seal off at the top where the two seals meet. This helped a little. He then went from the inside and sprayed. His final solution was leave slide out when it is hot and it will form to the shape it needs to lay flat. School is still out on this idea
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Would it be possible to take a flat paint stir stick from the inside with the slide half way out and push the seals out before fully extending the slide?
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote