Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Ultimate Garage Sale Find

Have just taken our Monty out of storage and moved it to a nearby campground where we can store/use it all year round. Will make for great weekend getaways with no towing but also easy to get in and out when we travel. One of our new neighbors is a full-timer of 2+ years. He and his wife shared the story with us of a spur of the moment garage sale which had amazing results. Seems that their little town had a yearly spring garage sale. A few years ago they realized that retirement was looming and they needed to be thinking about thinning out their possessions. At the last minute on garage sale morning they decided to put some stuff out on their front lawn to see if they could get rid of it. A couple came by and spent a good bit of time looking at tools and kitchen gear. The woman asked if she could use their bathroom. Came out and asked if they were possibly thinking of selling the house. The folks said "maybe for the right price". They took the woman and her husband in to look around and five minutes later had a $1000 check for earnest money in their hands. The next day the people came back with a cashier's check for the balance of the house price--which incidentally was for $15,000 more than the couple had ever thought they would get for the house. Thirty days later, the newly retired couple were on the road full-time.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Bowie, that is a great story. Sounds like a friend of mine that lives in Utah. He advertised his wifes quad for sale in the paper, a young couple came over to look at it. They asked why they were selling it and was told by my friends that they were going to get ready to sell the house to move back to California. As it turned out the young couple was in the market for a home and they not only bought the quad, they bought the home also. My friends close escrow the 25th of this month.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Can't beat those yard sales!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, great story, Bowie! Now, if I could just figure out how to have myself in the right place at the right time...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Now that's a "YARD" sale, with a House attached.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #6
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Bowie: Need how to get in touch with that couple. Maybe I can have them move into my townhouse and be "resident agents/garage sale proprietors". OR

DHenry: Are your friends interested in moving to North San Diego County? I'll even toss in a new Quad with the townhouse!

As soon as I sell mine, I'm going full-time!

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I like this kind of story. When we sold our house to go to seminary many years ago, it sold before the ad we bought hit the street. The house we sold to move to a new church sold in one week. We sure are hopeful that this one will sell as quickly as the others. Maybe we should have a yard sale.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote