Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
House just sold!!!!!!!!

We received an offer on our house today that we couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't refuse. We already have our South Dakota address and will be going there this week to change licenses and insurance. etc. Estate sale of belongings will be in two weeks and we will finally be FULL TIMERS. Yahooooooooooooooo.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
SUPER!!! Your excitement is coming through loud and clear! You've probably mentioned it already, but have you picked out the first destination of your new adventure?

You're the only others we know of who have gone the estate sale route. It's so much easier ... greatly reduces the stress of getting rid of the stuff.

Hope you can sleep tonight!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congratulations Ademoll. We hope to join the fulltimers by the end of August. We will move to Texas. Hope to see you down the road...we will be at the rally in October.
Myrna and Bob
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congratulations on the sale of your house and the begining of your fulltime adventure. Let us know how the estate sale goes. We may need to consider this when we're ready to make the transition.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
How exciting! We know that great feeling of selling the stick house. We sold, donated, and gave things to new owners to downsize to our vacation chalet and the Monty. We would love to go full time but still have some family obligations in WV where our vacation home is located. So we full time from Sept - April and spend the summers here in WV. The transition is a lot of work, but well worth it! Enjoy your new adventure.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and I watch this Fulltime forum with great interest.We are really not sure about"full timing" Just not sure that's the lifestyle for us.Right now our plan is to give it a try but keep our home till we are sure the lifestyle is for us. We like and want to travel but are very leery about 24/7 "on the road" Everything we read and hear from those who do full time is very positive..However, ...If it sounds to good to be true.. then usually it is to good to be true??? The clock is winding down..Helen retires Dec 06 and we need a plan before then?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:21 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted on the sale. I talked to the people that will be putting it on his morning but they don't think they can do it before the week after Memorial day. All I know for sure is that I don't want to be any way near here when they have the sale. I know I would start to cry when I see what people want to pay for our treasurers. Oh well, they are just things. Things can be replaced. The memories will be with us forever.
Vicki- We will be staying close to Minnesota for the summer due to a serious illness in the family but we plan on leaving for the rally in Reno by the end of September where we are looking foward to meeting many of you, then south thru Nevada, hopefully Zion and other National Parks making our way to Quartzite in January, up the West Coast to Washington by Mid- May and continue to Alaska returning via the Canadian Rockies and as many of their National Parks as possible before coming back to MN. to see our kids and grand kids by September 2006 only to start over going East and South before the snow starts again. As you can see, we will be busy but the great part of it is we will be able to take our time. We are re-visiting a lot of the places we have already been but this time we want to really see them.
Rich & Helen, if you go to the Escapees.com forum there is some really interesting discussions on full timing. It's really hard not to get caught up in it.

Helen
Old 05-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Helen ... Wow! What an itinerary ... makes me tired just reading it. But it sure sounds like fun. We'll look forward to meeting you in Reno.

Rich ... I'd be willing to bet that the most successful/happy full-timeers did a lot of planning prior to setting off on this fabulous adventure. Although one obviously can't plan for everything, by having some contingencies in place, one can be spared a few "surprises" down the road. The hardest part (besides not seeing the grandchildren as often as one would like) is making the decision to do it!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fantastic news!!! We will be glad when we can make that posting. Dianna retires June 1. Then the work begins to get it ready to sell. I know you are excited and ready for the great adventure to begin....but it already has begun!!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Congratulations on selling your home and becoming full~timers!! You will have to keep us non full~timers update when you can! Happy Full~Timing!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
adelmoll..we are into the Escapees forum..We will join Escapees later on..It usually takes us a long time to make a final decision. we try to think of everything..This forum and others are a big help. We know that sooner or later we will have to sell this home..It is way to big for just the two of us now and we are thinking well why not sooner than later..we can always buy another house when we are ready.We still have time to decide.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Rich and Helen. We just arrived in Sioux Falls and have a 10:00am appointment tomorrow to get everything we need to become South Dakota's foe a long time . We already had our mail fowarding and address with Alternative Resources here so we didn't have to register and pay the tax in Minnesota when we got the Montana ( You have 20 days to come here and pay the 3% tax instead of MN 7%. We will get our drivers liscenses, Full timers RV insurance, Auto Ins. (cost 55% of what we pay in Minn.)
Health Ins. ( We are in great shape so this will be half of Minn.) and best of all in our case is no state imcime tax. We really got hit hard with this in MN. When we first started all this we were going to sell the home ( Bill Built it 25 yeas ago) and downsize to a townhouse and after much thought we decited we wanted to be gone for long period of time and why get it now. Lets travel as long as we can and see what happens down the road. I do have to tell you though that after signing the agreement on the offer for our house there were tears and a really funny feeling. By the next day those feelings had turned to excitement and relief. I know it will be hard when we drive away for the last time but I hope we can put the snow blower in our rear view mirror and start to laugh real soon after. Think it over carefully but if you both want to do this and I do mean both, DO IT SOONER.
Helen & Bill Moll
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thank all of you again..Your input really helps.The thing is that Ohio, at least this part of Ohio is a good place to live, execpt in the winter, All of our insurance, Truck, 2 cars, Rv and house is under 2,000.00 per year. Our city does not tax retirement income and Ohio State tax on retirement income is not bad at all. License fees for the truck and camper are under 100.00 per year.There is no doubt that we will follow the sun, no more snowblowers.There are Insurance issues with leaving a house empty for long periods of time but my job with the FAA required long school assigmnents in OKC and we know how to deal with that issue.One of our sons is in the landscaping business so that takes care of lawn care and snow removal. Our mutual mind set right now is that living in a camper 24/7 is not our cup of tea.Everything else about full timmimg is Ok.We feel that sometime during the year we just might want to get out of the camper and go home for awhile.
We have till this time next year to hash this all out.We shall see?????
Old 05-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, if remaining Ohio residents works for you, go for it. SD and the other options are best for some, but if it aint broke...

Adelmoll, if you have an hour or two to spare, I'd recommend you spend some time in Sioux Falls' city park on the east side of town where the city's namesake water falls are located. I think they said there's over 1000 falls in that park. Many are small, some are larger. It's a beautiful park. We've been there twice. The first time was when we did what you are doing now, but it was February! The falls were totally frozen. Solid. But wow were they beautiful!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 AM   #15
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations on the sale! Hope your new full timing adventure turns out to be all you expect it to be. Both of us feel we need a place to come back to, so don't think we will ever opt for the full time route, but it sure sounds tempting at times and we have some friends who are doing it and loving it, and others who are considering it and will try spending their first winter down south in their Montana come November. Safe travels and good luck with the estate sale.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote