Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Lancaster PA from the North

On a return trip from Maine to our home in Texas, we have a planned stop in Intercourse, PA (Beacon Hill RV). Without going into detail our plan includes a stop the night before in the Cooperstown, NY area. My planed route is I-88 W to I-81 S. Right now I am planning to exit at Exit 90, follow PA 72 S to US 322 E to PA 501 S to PA 772 on which the RV park is located. Is anyone familiar with the last part of this plan (the local roads in PA)? Anything I should look out for? Anything I should consider changing?

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Dave - this is the way that I go to the Lancaster area. I81 around Scranton, PA has construction. they are replacing bridges and traffic early in the morning and late afternoon gets hectic. Getting off I81 at exit 90 (Lebanon) will get you to route 72. You will have to go thru downtown Lebanon. Could be congested. Your GPS may try to send you further down I81 to exit 85B (Route 934 south). It is a good road. You will have to go thru the small town of Annville but nothing like Lebanon and all the traffic and lights. Follow 934 right to 322. Left hand turn onto 322. It will run concurrent with 72 for a short while. Be sure you stay in the right lane as it joins with route 72 so that you can exit and stay on 322. Route 501 will take you to downtown Lititz. To avoid downtown, just north of Lititz look for East Newport Road. It will cut you across to 772 and you can go on your way.

As you travel down I81, wave as you pass Exit 217!!! We live 1 mile off the exit.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you are around Litiz for the 4th of July they have a great park and fire works display.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Becon Hill is hilly and the sites are not level at all. Owners are really nice. It is located in Intercourse. Roamers located on Rt 30 (close to the gap)about 12 miles from Intercourse is a Pastport America campground if you are arrive M-Thurs. for half the price. It is really nice with level sites. Just a FYI. Also there is Country Acres with level sites in the back with 50 amp they have a pool.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I will reply in reverse order (last first): cdaniels, I guess I'm committed to Beacon Hill as they replied promptly to my email inquiry and I have made a reservation. I'll just make the best of it. Thanks for your 'heads up.'

John, we will be in the Cooperstown, NY area on July 4 at the Beaver Valley RV. In fact we drive from there to Beacon Hill.

bullroc3, this is just the kind of information I was seeking--from someone who lives in the area and knows the local roads. I will do some re-planning based on your helpful comments.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
John and Judy, I have incorporated your suggestions into my plans. I note your comments about I-81 and Scranton. Others have advised not to take NE Extension of the Turnpike (I-476). What is your judgement about that? It looks like we would be in that area around 11:00 am.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Well, Dave, I would stay on I81. At that time of the day, you should be OK. I don't use the turnpike much. It will take you around the construction but I believe the toll to go two exits with the Montana would be around $4.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Many, many thanks, John and Judy, that confirms my earlier plan. Your responses have been most helpful.

If you ever come through East Texas, let me know and I can certainly tell you about the highways in this area. We have had three Montana couples to stay overnight in our back yard. We are just north of Longview on I-20.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Thanks for the invite. Ya just never know!!! I don't know when you will be passing through PA but if you have the time, stop at Exit 217, Harford, pull into the Harford Penn Can station, which right now has the cheapest diesel if you are paying by credit card, and tell Chip to give me a call. If we are home, we can do lunch.

Speaking of food, while in Lancaster, ya just got to go to the Bird-in-Hand Family restaurant. They have an all you can eat breakfast buffet that we just love. Great dinners also. Not open on Sunday. And, if you are into LARGE flea markets, get to the Green Dragon in Ephrata.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Becon Hill is hilly and the sites are not level at all. Owners are really nice. It is located in Intercourse. Roamers located on Rt 30 (close to the gap)about 12 miles from Intercourse is a Pastport America campground if you are arrive M-Thurs. for half the price. It is really nice with level sites. Just a FYI. Also there is Country Acres with level sites in the back with 50 amp they have a pool.
Based on this I looked up those site and we are booked into Country Acres tonight and tomorrow.

Now, we just have to get there. We are still in South Carolina!
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote