Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
It's Official...I'm A Dodge Owner

After driving 2 more powerstroke diesel trucks this morning I signed the deal for the 2006 Dodge. I couldn't believe how much more power the Dodge has over the Ford power stroke. I went with standard transmission after many years of listening to people talk about the automatic tranny problems. I thought I would hate going back to a standard but I don't seem to mind it at all. The other thing I was worried about was fuel mileage but I reset the trip od and with just under 100 miles I am getting 14.3 city miles. I don't know if this is good or bad yet but plan a practice tow/weight trip this weekend.

Trust me this is hard to swallow because I am a true die hard Ford fan. If we could just get one of those cummins diesels into a Ford I would be in hog heaven.

What a good Friday!
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Phil: Congratulations on the new vehicle. Is it really a 2006 Dodge? If so, be sure to get an exhaust brake installed on it soonest (if not already installed). In their literature, DC has said that it is required for trailer towing on the manual transmission Rams.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I am sure you will be happy with your new Dodge. Now you just need to get a picture of it and your trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Congratulations!! I know lots of happy Dodge owners. I've always kind of been a Ford fan also but my last two trucks have been Chevy's. Just seemed to be the best deal I could get at the time. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three diesels.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
You will be very happy with that motor and truck. It will pull that camper all year with no complaints. I also thought about the manual not because of the transmission problems but the fun factor. I had a 1/2 ton dodge back in 95 that went over 100k on the factory clutch. Enjoy your teuck.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

After driving 2 more powerstroke diesel trucks this morning I signed the deal for the 2006 Dodge. I couldn't believe how much more power the Dodge has over the Ford power stroke. I went with standard transmission after many years of listening to people talk about the automatic tranny problems. I thought I would hate going back to a standard but I don't seem to mind it at all. The other thing I was worried about was fuel mileage but I reset the trip od and with just under 100 miles I am getting 14.3 city miles. I don't know if this is good or bad yet but plan a practice tow/weight trip this weekend.

Trust me this is hard to swallow because I am a true die hard Ford fan. If we could just get one of those cummins diesels into a Ford I would be in hog heaven.

What a good Friday!
Phil
Congratulations, Phil! I also am a long time Ford driver and came very close to buying the new Ford. I drove all three brands. I loved the Ford but was shy about a first year engine. But I kept going back to the Dodge. I loved the way it drove. I loved the power and the way it handles. So we bought the Dodge. I didn't care for the firmer ride but have installed the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks with incab controls and that took care of that "problem."

I got the automatic because it seems to be a super transmission. I understand it was tested to over 1000 lb-ft of torque. Dodge does not have a good track record with its diesel automatics but the later 48FE seems to be good and, so far, at 11,000 miles, this 68RFE automatic seems to be super. Best I've ever driven and towed with. But your choice of the manual is a good choice, too.

I am loving the way this Dodge handles our Montana. I think you're going to be awed by it.

Good luck and enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You should drop to yours knees and give thanks that you own a Dodge!!
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and hope you have many trouble free miles in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey Phil - Congrads on your new TRUCK. Here is wishing you MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY HAPPY MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you see if it will make to the BRANSON GET TOGEATHER IN MAY 2008, I know we would all like to see it.... Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for the all the kind words.
I have my first question. The diesel mileage is a lot better than I anticipated. I am getting between 18 & 19 miled per gallon. Has anyone tested the computer generated MPG to the old fashioned math MPG? I was not expecting to get this good of mileage while driving mostly in town. This does better than the Cadillac during City Driving.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The overhead computer is almost always wrong. Our 04.5 was always off about 2-2.5 + and the 06 looks like it will be off about 3-3.5 +.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

Thanks for the all the kind words.
I have my first question. The diesel mileage is a lot better than I anticipated. I am getting between 18 & 19 miled per gallon. Has anyone tested the computer generated MPG to the old fashioned math MPG? I was not expecting to get this good of mileage while driving mostly in town. This does better than the Cadillac during City Driving.
I checked it over three tanks. The computer read 1/10 mpg higher than my hand calculations. Your mileage may be accurate, depending on the kind of driving. We had a sightseeing trip yesterday. The trip up there was just 95 miles but was on a US two lane highway with lots of small towns. Lowest town speed limit was 25. Highest was 45. Most of the trip had a 55 mph speed limit and we ran 58 to 60. Some of the open road had 50 mph speed limit and we ran 55. There was no wind. Terrain was mostly flat with some rolling hills. We got 20.2 for that stretch. We then did a lot of stopping on our self-guided driving tours and some backroad gravel roads where we were running about 15 mph for probably 15 miles overall. Some extended idling but not a lot. For the entire trip we got 17.8.

This was on a 2007.5 6.7L. Is yours a 2007 6.7L or do you have the 2006 5.9? Your initial post says it's a 2006 so I wasn't sure. I thin the 5.9 does a little better on mileage than the 6.7.

By the way, Vicki saw the mileage numbers and will verify them.

---on edit, I just realized you said 18 to 19 for intown driving. That does seem a bit high unless most of that is city freeway? In the Kansas City area with mixed freeway and city street stop and go we get anywhere from 15 to 17.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks Steve! I live on the edge of the metro so I have mile sections and then freeway. Over all I do more freeway driving than stop and go.
I have the 2006 5.9 turbo 24 valve engine. All of this is so new. I am used to gas engines so not only am I trying to figure out the basics of the truck but also an engine which is foreign to me. Thank God I am a farm kid. Being around the tractors growing up has helped out tremendously in this transition.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can relate. We got our first diesel in 2003. In a gas engine I could recognize a rod knocking or piston slap. In a diesel I'm not sure I'd recognize a new noise. You have an excellent truck. The best advice is to just enjoy it.