Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
How much space do you need to back into driveway?

We have a 3295 with a F350 Club Cab short bed. The street out front is 2 lane approximately 16' wide and our driveway is approximately 20' wide. Can I back into our driveway without going into my yard nor the neighbors yard across the street? It is level. Thanks for replys.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well roger my driveway in fl is 37' long and i back a 3000rk in it and the street is a blvd type as each lane is 10' wide and we can't cross the meadean for the bushes ,, my drive is 16' wide and i back it in but i do need some of the grass to cut the corner but it fits in and i still get the car out of the other stall , the slides go out over the grass but i only leave it here to load and unload ,, about 2 days each way more or less but i back in on the right side of the truck so i have better control and view but its been in there about 20 times now in the 1st year john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our street is about the same size as yours.Our truck is the F350, long bed, crew cab. We have the 3400 39 feet 1 inch long.After running up over the tree lawn a few time attempting to back it in. we called our friendly local concrete guy and told him to put concrete everywhere he saw a tire rack on the grass. Our Apron is now 36 feet wide and we have 3300 feet of concrete driveway.It backs in easy.So back it in and see what you run over ..then concrete it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Simple way to find out is cut some paper to proper scale to simulate the driveway, street, TV and camper, should be pretty obvious whether it will fit then. Of course that is an engineer's thinking though {on edit (while ROTFL) it may be a little cheaper than Rich's method!!!!!!}
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have a situation where I back into a 14 foot wide garage so there is NO room for error. The distance from the front of the garage to the garage on the opposite side of the apron is 56 feet which is exactly the length of the truck and 5ver combined. It can be done but it is difficult and takes several corrections in the process.

At my wife's cousin, I have to back into a fourteen foot wide drive from a standard two lane residential street. It is much easier than my home parking but i still have to make a couple of correcting cuts to GIT ER DONE.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
A slider hitch on a short bed helps, also. We have a standard single drive entrance on a standard width street and back in just fine. In fact, when I come into the cul de sac, I have to use the slider to make the turn if I want to park in front of the house.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I have a driveway that is pleny big enough, but with only a two lane standard suburban street, the problem is the width if the street. The truck wants to go in the across the street neighbor's yard to make the turn while backing up.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My recommendation is to find a parking lot and put cones, gallon milk jugs (yes guys - empty of milk), or pails in the same spots as your curbs and attempt it. My first recommendation is to cheat and park the trailer in the driveway spot and then pull out. That will be the "perfect" path for the trailer tires and tell you if you can make all the turns without running over a curb. If you can then you practice backing in. A second suggestion: If you can pull out then park again the trailer in the driveway again and use a rope to mark where the trailer tires are during the turn. that means move a foot or two and put the rope up against the outside edge of the trailer tire. This will give you the guide you need to back in the the spot.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Its like the old trucker song says,
"Gimme 50 acres and I'll turn this rig around".

seriously, it may take some practice and you may cut the corner with the trailer tires. you can always wiggle them in.
It will most likely be easier than getting into some of the campgrounds.
Most of the campgrounds are only a single lane road with a narrow entry into the site.

Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Many, many years ago I used to drive semi-tankers fueling jet aircraft on the commercial flight line. I could put that tanker anywhere, day or night. It was a skill that I was taught by an excellent teacher and that we practiced and used every day. Today I find I have trouble backing my 5er up in a straight line, much less into a tight spot (that is, without practicing!!) John said it right; find a big empty parking lot, mark it somehow and practice, practice, practice. Next Spring you may find that you will have to repeat the training since you might grow rusty over the cold season but I think you'll find it easier as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #11
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Thanks for replies. I just needed to ask to see if it may fit in driveway and from the responce it sounds like it should. I failed to mention that I do have the Montana parked across our driveway blocking our other Garage on the rear Street. The only problem is that now we can't use the rear garage except for storage. So I will have to try and see how much grass and flowers I kill while trying to move it to the front drive. We actually want to park it along side of the garage if I can get it in the front drive. We do have the superslide so jack-knifing shoud not be a problem. Thanks again
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to put our 2003 3295RK in our driveway with a shortbed truck. Our street was a standard two-lane street. I'm not sure the exact width. I did not have to use the slider to do it but it does take some practice to be able to get it into the driveway without running the wheels up on the cross-street neighbor's lawn. A couple of times their kids would park on the street and I had to ask them to move the cars. I couldn't do it with their cars on the street.

I think it's possible but you will have to be watching not only where the rig and the front of the truck are going, you'll also have to watch that the cab and Montana don't crash together. And if you have the usual type driveway with the drop/rise into the street, be careful when any wheel goes over that threshhold. It will cause cab and Montana to move towards each other.

If you have a slider hitch, you should be able to pop the slider and do this with no problem. I was doing it without using the slider (laziness) and it was tight, but do-able.

If I were you I'd give it a try. But don't hurry. Take time to check everything out as you go and have someone watching everything from outside as well. Once you know the procedure you'll be able to do it more easily.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote