Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
For Goshen Rally attendees:

FWIW: Speeding in Elkhart just got expensive:

If you drive in Elkhart, breaking traffic laws just got a lot more expensive.

That's because the city has raised its fines.

"We write tickets because it's our responsibility to make sure that people don't get killed in Elkhart," said Elkhart Police's Ed Windbigler.

In an effort to save lives, Elkhart police made it clear that if you speed, you will pay.

Windbigler says, "It doesn't matter your speed. In Elkhart, if you get pulled over and receive a speeding ticket, $150."

If you speed in a school zone it's $300.

If you speed in a construction zone, with no workers present, $450.

And if workers are present, it's a flat $600. No questions asked.

A lot of people don't think this is fair.

"A flat rate is probably a little out of line," said Robert Dorsam.

"I don't think it's fair that it's a flat rate," says Erica Furkis. "I think 2 miles per hour over the speed limit is more forgivable than say 50 over."

Speeding isn't the only thing Elkhart cops will be looking for, especially in construction zones, like the one on Johnson Street.

"As you can see, there's a sign posted next to the Stop sign that says ‘NO LEFT TURN.' If they would turn right like they should to keep the traffic going, then the cars wouldn't be backed up here on Erwin."

Even with Officer Doug Ryback and his car parked right at this intersection, we saw drivers turn left while we conducted our interview.

In fact, it's so bad that Ryback doesn't even have radar in his car to fill a day writing tickets.

"You don't need radar to write tickets in Elkhart. There are so many bad drivers that don't think the laws apply to them that you can just drive around every day and watch for people turning on red or going against signs that are posted. It really doesn't take that long to accumulate several tickets every day."

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I had no idea Elkhart had so many speeding related traffic deaths.

(I am now removing my tongue from my cheek.)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Thanks for the warning.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
What? No fine for horses dumping in the street?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I wonder if they, like many other places, have a budget deficit they are trying to overcome?
It wouldn't take too many daily ticket counts to make it up, would it?
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Elkhart probably does have a deficit problem and a percentage of all citations goes into the City General fund, however it is divied up, and a lot of it gets back to the PD to pay for overtime and other items needed.

However, with that in mind, back up your thoughts, and just be very observant the next time you are out and count how many violations or acts of stupicity you see in a two block area. I think this will answer your questions. Just try to be a good driver and be courteous to other drivers. You may feel like you are being taken advantage of, BUT you will feel better.
Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If you are traveling in Cedar Rapids Iowa and other cities here ,The law has cameras mounted at some intersections and on 380 for speeders and red light runners. They are run by some out fit in MA. Boy are they collecting money.Iowa has been in court on this and the car gets the ticket ,not the driver. Held up and robbed and they don't even use a gun. Just be careful in IA.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote