Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Solar Question

I have read most of the post's about adding solar to 5th wheels. But I am thinking of a different approach. Since were still working and parked in a permanent spot except maybe a few weekends a year. I was thinking about installing a system in our shed. More like you would do for a stick house. But only big enough to run the 5th wheel. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to approach this? Should I even Bother? Would I be able to plug in with the 50amp cord and stop using City power all together? How long do you think it would take to pay for its self? In the past 12 months our lowest power bill was 40.13 and the Highest in January was 113,70

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
George,
I will take a stab at it and give you a short answer about the viability of solar on a typical shed. (10'x12' at most.)
It would take a very long time for the system to pay for itself. You still would have a problem running everything in the RV. Like AC. The frig is a hog if you run it on the batteries with the 110.
I do not know what State and location and the amount of sun you might get daily. That can be a factor also.

I am assuming you are not speaking in the terms of tying into the grid vs using batteries and an inverter.
I might direct you to this site to read in more detail about what you can expect from solar. http://www.jackdanmayer.com/

You can install a system that you can use that would furnish you with enough power to run everything with a mindful eye on your consumption.
The answers to your questions can be long and drawn out and still not give you a definite answer because of the unknown situation you have as far as expectations and usage.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a system with 4 panels (440 watts) for about 7 years now. Would i do it again? Yes. Has it payed for it's self? NO WAY.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
i have the same set up as you do on my 5ther the question is that i could not put price on the freedom from having to have power suppled to me and i can make my own power
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote