Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
Montana_3563

M.O.C. #3563
Montana 2980RL

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a 2980RL. Does anyone else have one? We would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this model 5th wheel. Thanks!

Montana_3563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our first Montana was a new 2001 Montana 2880RL, the predecessor to the 2980RL. The floorplan is very similar to the 2980. We liked it a lot and were so pleased with it that when we traded it was for another Montana. Since that time, Montana has become the number one seller in North America for the last four years in a row, so I figure we made a good decision going with Montana. Our experiences with the factory have also been excellent.

If you go with the Montana, check out our 2nd annual rally, to be held near Reno, NV, in early October this year. Also, several regional areas are planning get togethers this year.

Good luck with your decision. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are no dumb questions here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get valuable information about the care and feeding of Montanas. It is also a great place to make contact withsome very nice folks. I can't help with you current question. I sure like my Montana and have no problem recommending the line.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
One thing to consider. The 2980 has an island kitchen. Some people don't like them. On some models you can't get to frig. or other cabinets with the slides in. Just a personal choice. We like it open. Just our opinions.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We loved the island kitchen and all the storage that model has. On the 2880 we could get to the fridge with slides in but had to crawl over the island to do so. We didn't base our decision on that since we spent far more time in the rig with the slides open than we did with them closed. If we stopped for lunch and wanted in the fridge and didn't feel like crawling over the island we just opened the slides. We personally prefer the apartment feel, room separation, to the open space but that's also just our preference. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, so pick what works best for you. That's why there are several great floorplans available!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
We are picking up our 2980 this Wednesday and can't wait! Love the layout.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Dave & Emily! Be sure to keep us informed.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:30 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We've had our 2980RL since December and absolutely love it. We chose between the 2955 and the 2980 based on overall size and weight, and for us the 2980 was the best choice. Shari & I both liked the idea of the greater amount of counter & storage space that the peninsula kitchen counter gives. It allows both of us to be working in the kitchen since one can be at the stove, and the other can use the sink from the other side. Yes, with the slides in you can't get to the fridge becuase of the dining table. After taking the table apart to try to put a "lazy susan" type pivot on the table top, I realized all I had to do was to unscrew the table from the floor and turn it 90 degrees to allow us to get by to the refrigerator. So now when we're travelling, the table gets turned and the two extra chairs go on top of the recliners, with a pillow between the chair backs.

Shari says that for some folks the space between the sink/counter and stove may be an issue, that they may find it difficult to bend over to check things in the oven without bumping into the counter. She doesn't mind as we tend to use the micro/convection oven over the stove more than the gas oven below.

Check the position of the furnace exhaust in terms of the entry door in the open position. When Keystone redesigned this floorplan late last year, they moved the furnace and water pump from under the kitchen counter (to give more cabinet space) to a space just behind the basement storage on the curbside. Our furnace exhaust is right behind the entry door when it's latched open. As a result, the door got singed on our first trip as we had it open and the thermostat kicked on the furnace. Keystone did give us a new door and we were supposed to get a longer latch that would keep the door farther away from the exhaust vent.

The last comment I can think of is that they could have given another foot or so in length between the rear lounge area and the kitchen. To have enough room to have the recliners go all the way back, they have to be out quite a ways and the curbside chair gets rather close to the kitchen counter and blocks the trash can storage door. This is no big deal for us, but might concern others.

We love the layout. For us it's cozy and spacious at the same time. We love the counter space in the kitchen. It is a little pin heavy, other models are a little lighter, but I think that's mostly due to the 3-slide configuration. We got ours in the Desert Sunset (?) color scheme and really like it. Oh, we also did not get the dual pane windows and believe now after having camped in fairly cold weather, that we'll get them on the next rig. (yeah, we all know that as soon as we get one, we start thinking about the next, we just don't like to admit it)

Sorry about the long winded answer. Have fun choosing and I'm sure you'll love whichever floorplan you choose. We are well pleased with our choice of a Montana.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:56 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Good luck in your search for the right Montana for you. We have a 3255RL and like it very much. Ours is a previously enjoyed unit and we snapped it up when we saw it. I would like more kitchen storage, but the open floor plan suits they way we use our Montana - we don't full time. Be sure to share your adventures. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Montana_3563

M.O.C. #3563
Thanks so much to everyone who replied to our question! We knew we could depend on 5th wheelers! We got a lot of great info. Now I am even more excited to get one after hearing all the possitive comments. Even the "watch out for" info was so great to hear. Thanks again! Will keep you all posted!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
When Marsha and I started looking at Montanas last fall, the one I fell in love with was the 2980RL. First, I was entranced by the “mountain view” windows, but secondly, I really liked the bar. It was a nice package in what I felt was a nice size.

Now, if you look at our signature, you will notice that is not the way we went. Our Montana was used, and we both felt we would never be able to touch the price again, so we went for it instead. Ours does have the bar as well, only coming out of the camper’s rear. When the slides are deployed, it makes for an absolutely wonderful space, but when they are closed, well, you can forget about reaching ANYTHING in the rear of the camper. Life is full of tradeoffs.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the 2980, but be warned that it, like ours, has one of the higher pin weights in the Montana line. I do not know if that will be a consideration with your TV or not.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #12
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
debkrz

We have a 2980 and love it. As stated earlier, it's difficult to access the refridge with the dining room slide in due to the dining table.

In order to get around this situation I installed a lazy susan type swivel between the table pedestal and the table. The most economical heavy duty swivel I could find was a boat seat swivel at about $9.00 (check your local sporting goods store for these) .

We now turn and slide the table against the wall as we travel and also leave it that way unless we have dinner guests. Works great so far.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.

Gary & Nora Elore
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill Hill, we don't have the dual paned windows, either, but wish we did. As a workaround, since we spend Nov/Dec in the Kansas City area near our kids and grandkids, we use the 3M window film intended for stick homes. It makes a big difference. It might not be worthwhile for short term usage, though.

Wordsmith, when we visited RC and Samantha, we saw a change they made in their floorplan (3295RK) that we loved. We immediately changed ours the same way. When I saw pictures, I didn't think we'd like it but when we saw it in the flesh we changed our minds. At the rally, a couple of others with our model saw it and changed theirs, too. It sounds odd but we still use this method and love the change. What we did is to swap the locations of the dining table and the recliner. If you want to see what this looks like, click on the Our RV Travels link in my signature, then on that page click on Our Home. There are some pictures there. It may not show the change real well but we really, really like the change. With this arrangement we can squeeze our way to the back on the living side of the peninsual when slides are in, if we need to. And this layout works much better for visiting when friends and family are onboard.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, I had seen that before in your pictures; in fact, I believe you sent me a picture of the view from where you sit in the recliner because I wondered if you could see the television from there. One question, though: where do the table and chairs travel—in the same place that the recliner would have?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We love our 2004 2980RL, we made a few changes on the table and chairs rotated it, so we dont have to open the slide to get into the back area of the unit to the frig. If we had to do it again, you bet ya.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, Wordsmith, how easily I forget. CRS is master of the realm here, you see.

Vicki says when we leave here 5/6 she can take a picture and email it to you if you want. Meanwhile, I'll try to explain what she does. The recliner just gets turned so it is perpendicular to the wall. The dining table gets turned upside down and is slid next to the recliner, just aft of the recliner. She then sets other things on top of the tabletop that's now on the floor. If that makes any sense.

It doesn't take nearly as much time as it sounds. Back on Jan 4 when we found out about the ice storm coming in that would strand us for a few days and we were planning to leave the area, I told Vicki we had to get out NOW. She did the inside, I did the outside, and we were pulling out of the park in 20 minutes flat. Fastest we've ever done it but we had an incentive in avoiding the ice storm.

Swapping the table and chair may not be your cup of tea. You'd have to try it and see. I just wanted to mention how much we like this arrangement. We've lived with it this way since last September.

Debkrz, sorry I hijacked your thread.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the info, Steve. I will talk to you more when we get together Friday so we don’t hijack the thread any further!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 AM   #18
Montana_3563

M.O.C. #3563
the pin weight shouldn't be a problem. We have a Dodge 3500 (duelly) diesel. If it were it would just give my husband and excuse to try to find "more power!"
Old 04-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #19
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
The 2980 was our choice until we saw the new 3475. We liked the 2980 very well and it will be a great rig. We liked the more consolidated living room style on the 3475 (3400 and 3500 as well). Also the refrigerator is just inside the door so access couldn't be easier. That's an issue for some but certainly not all folks. You have to determine your personal requirements and go for that.

Good luck in your decision.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote