Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Hypertech Programmer

I have read the previous thread where Hypertech was discussed, and I decided to start a new similar thread. I just installed my Hypertech III stage 2, and will be towing for the first time with it in a couple weeks on the way back to Wisconsin from Arizona. Does anyone with Hypertech have suggestions for me? (I used stage 2 because I do not have an EGT monitor at present).

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Karl,

The gearheads in my area say that stage two is not a problem. I really notice the difference in mine since putting on Hypertech. Acceleration from a dead stop and hill climbing is noticably improved.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Carl We got hit head on by a 16 year old that was reaching for his cell phone a little over a week ago in Geoegia. We survived with bruses and the like but it totalled our t 2500 GMC with a hypertech. I have since bought a chevy 2500 duramax and tried to load my hypertech in. They changed the duramax in mid 04 so it wouldn't load. We have been over 10,000 miles on this trip and over 11,000 last winter with the hyper, so I was reluctant to go without. Hypertech factory took my old in trade and charged me $216 for a new replacement. I felt so naked without it that I had them overnite it on tomorrows red lable ups. I ran it on stage 3 with 90 hp added for all those miles with absolutely no problems. We ran half of that mileage with a friend that was un-hypered. He pulled a 2955 and I pulled a 3400. I could run right away from him in the mountains-big time. As you can tell I am a firm beliver. We weren't pulling the 5er when he hit us so we don't have to deal with that mess. It's bad enough as it is. You won't be unhappy withyour decision. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Forgive me, what is Hypertech?
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Sissyph,
Hypertech is a computer progammer for your trucks computer. It increases your horsepower and your torque. In some cases it will also increase your fuel mileage.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Karl,
As you can see from our signature, we have the same truck as you do. We installed Hypertech at stage 3 for maximum boost. We now have near 60,000 miles with about 20 of that pulling either a big tow-behind or the fiver. We live in AZ and summer in the midwest so mountain tows are very familiar. However, I do not abuse the truck. I can climb Sunset point north of Phoenix flat out but Don't. I back down to 50 or 55 and keep the rest in reserve.

Besides the power and torque boost, we get a definite mileage improvement when towing although not when unloaded. With the travel trailer, I got 9.5 mpg with out Hypertech and 12.5 with. Never pulled the Montana without Hypertech but get 11.5 with Hypertech installed. At today's fuel prices, This device pays for itself again every 4000 miles we drive.

BTW, Five or six relatives in Michigan (there are so many, I lose count) bought Hypertech after I did. Everyone is happy with it. All are operating in stage 3.

Good luck on your trip to Badger country. We will be up there in August -- first near Sauk City, then near Ellsworth - the self proclaimed "Cheese Curd Capital of the World"
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Appears it works for gas and diesel... will show this to hubby... always trying to get milage improvement. We get 10-11 towing now. I love this place for info.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Sissyph;

Doesn't look like it will fit on your truck according to Hypertech's Dodge features page, only up to 02's. There are others though, Quadzilla Xzillaraider, Bullydog Downloader [bddl], and Edge Juice are the newest. This site is a Dodge forum that has many discussions on each.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...ea&forumid=107

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Hubby has been checking into Hypertech also.

Here's the link I see him using:
http://www.hypertech-inc.com

And to find a dealer in your area:
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/dealer.html
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am anxious to use it pulling next week when we go from Phoenix to Flagstaff. All indications of driving my truck with the unit set on stage 2 are positive this far without having hooked up the camper.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
I've used and been very pleased with Hypertech's programmers in multiple gasoline powered tow vehicles since 1995 ... they make a high quality product and stand behind it ... I perfer an Edge Juice programmer in our diesel for a couple of reasons ... Hypertech reprograms the vehicle's onboard computer, Edge's box plugs in down stream from the vehicle's onboard computer and doesn't make any changes to it ... in over 60,000 miles of use it has performed flawlessly and has proven to be very Allison friendly ... the use of a power programmer can void a vehicle's warranty so I now tend to use boxes that are easy to remove and very difficult to detect ... I do recommend the use of an EGT gauge with the addition of any box

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:10 AM   #12
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
For more info on programmers and Diesel issues, check out this site:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #13
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tweir

For more info on programmers and Diesel issues, check out this site:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?
excellent site ... excellent recommendation

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:08 AM   #14
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I said earlier that I was anxious to be able to use the programmer while pulling my Montana. Well, I have done it now, taking the trip from Phoenix up to Flagstaff, then east to St Louis, and finally back to Wisconsin. The difference (set at stage 2) is nothing short of phenomenal, in my mind. The two major upgrades really only felt like small hills, and I was easily able to keep a 60-65 mph speed all the way up, even accelerating back to 60 after getting caught behind a couple very slow semi's. The overall mileage for the 2100 miles was 12.1, and that included the leg from Phx to Flag where I got 10.7 mgh.

I know others have liked the boxes, but I am happy with what I have, and I have found it very easy to reprogram back to factory programming when I need to take the truck in.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I just put in a SCT Excalibrator Flash Tuner into my F350.
It is programed for your specific vehicle.
I got Economy, Tow and Extreme in it.
Just plug into the Ford programer port and select what program you want and it re-programs your computer on the truck.
What a difference when we towed this week.
Go to http://www.innovativediesel.com
Great to deal with.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote