Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Why buy an automatic slider? Here's one reason..

This guy is presently in our park and not a very happy camper. Seems he has a manual slider in his shortbed Chevy but he had a slight memory lapse..........

He's been pulling this 5th wheel for years and never had a problem (where have I heard that before). His site in his last CG was very tight and he just forgot to slide the hitch.
Obviously the window is completely gone and he has some body damage to the truck. The 5er has a very small dent.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
OUCH
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Been there and done that. I know how he feels.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Glenn is he pulling a montana? I have a slider but have never been in a situation to have to slide it. Been in some awfull uneven places and always watch but never been close. Looks like another 20+ inches coming at home. That's ugly!!!!Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Gotta Love Maine Dan...
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Well, I hit the cab of my truck, TWICE LOL, never broke the window, but a couple of hundred dollars damage both times. I am just going to get an 8 ft box on my next truck, maybe even a dually.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Seeing this pic makes me feel very good about the money I spent on the SuperGlide and I haven't even towed the 5er yet. When you consider it, it is not all that difficult to become distracted amidst backing up a unit.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Wordsmith,
You and me both. We started our life with the Monty with a SuperGlide hitch. In 4 months we've had several instances where it wouldn't have been safe to get out and manually slide the hitch back. Worth every penny, especially not to hear the better half say "I told you so". But to her credit, when she saw the the SuperGlide and understood what it did, she insisted we get it. No argument from me. (after 7 years of marriage, I'm actually starting to listen, should have done it a lot sooner, dumb me!)
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by foggyb

Glenn is he pulling a montana? I have a slider but have never been in a situation to have to slide it. Been in some awfull uneven places and always watch but never been close. Looks like another 20+ inches coming at home. That's ugly!!!!Dan
He's pulling the Prowler that is on the right in the photo.

another 20+ inches...sure am glad we are in Fla.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Double ouch. I have seen a couple these and they are not pretty. This is the reason that my truck has an 8' bed.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Get an 8 ft box and you don't ever have to worry about a slider or CRS syndrome of forgetting to slide it. Plus you can carry more STUFF!!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
On my Ford F350 Crew Cab, Short Wheel Base, I have a 70 gallon TransFlow bed tank, so we couldn't have a slider installed.
Instead they put a 10" extension set-up on the trailer hitch, so now I have the clearance I need for a short bed without a slider hitch.
The only thing I have to do now is lower my hitch in the truck 3" as I have 10" clearance.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thats why I got a long bed..I am old and feeble minded and would hurt my truck if I had a short bed...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I have a short bed Dodge 3500 with the super slide hitch, it would be cheaper to buy one for yourself than to buy a different truck. besides all that, the super slide is just so darn easy to use and it seems to me it is a very secure hitch compaired to some I see, I think I will always use the super slide even if I don't need it for cab clearance. Wacot
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

Well, I hit the cab of my truck, TWICE LOL, never broke the window, but a couple of hundred dollars damage both times. I am just going to get an 8 ft box on my next truck, maybe even a dually.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
oooooooooooooppppppppppppppppssssssssss ...$$$$$$$
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WACOT

I have a short bed Dodge 3500 with the super slide hitch, it would be cheaper to buy one for yourself than to buy a different truck. besides all that, the super slide is just so darn easy to use and it seems to me it is a very secure hitch compaired to some I see, I think I will always use the super slide even if I don't need it for cab clearance. Wacot
If you don't need the slider, then just get the non-slider version of the PulRite hitch. I have the 15.5K Pulrite because as you say, it seems more secure than a split jaw. It'll save you about $1000.....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops! Glenn, you know I'd love to have the superglide but just can't justify the expense since we already have a perfectly serviceable manual slider hitch. The other day I put ours into a rather tight backing turn to get into our site and was watching both the wheels on the trailer and how close I was cab to trailer and was thinking at that time how nice the superglide would be. I didn't need to pop the slider, the Montana and accurate hitch installation helps a lot with that, but nevertheless I do have to keep the possibility of a crash in mind. Looks like this guy nailed the window but not the sheetmetal so he's still way money ahead. But a little sheetmetal damage could change that in a hurry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #18
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a question for you folks with the superglide. I had one installed and went to put the Pullrite plate plate on the pin box only to find that due to the size of the plate some modifications will have to be made to the pin box. It seems our Montana pin box has a smaller surface than the Pullrite provided plate. This requires welding on an extension to the pin box. Did any of you experience this and if so, do you have any tips?
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

On my Ford F350 Crew Cab, Short Wheel Base, I have a 70 gallon TransFlow bed tank, so we couldn't have a slider installed.
Instead they put a 10" extension set-up on the trailer hitch, so now I have the clearance I need for a short bed without a slider hitch.
The only thing I have to do now is lower my hitch in the truck 3" as I have 10" clearance.
Carlson, could you tell us more about this hitch setup? I'm not sure I quite understand but it sounds interesting.
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Pete,
Yes, we had the same situation. The pin box plate supplied by PullRite that acts as a key in the hitch plate is larger than the king pin plate on the pin box of the Montana. The front edge of the PullRite key plate extends out about 2-3 inches, and we had to have 2 pieces of flat stock welded from the leading edge of the key plate to the leading edge of the pin box to make sure that it wouldn't be bent upwards when hitching up. In looking at it afterwards, I'm not convinced it was necessary as the key plate is fairly thick, but that's what PullRite recommends doing if the pin box isn't the same size.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote