Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #21
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Hey all, just wondering what the highest wind speeds any of you all have been in in and what you experienced. We are currently in Pensacola and closely monitoring incoming tropical depression Fred, which they say may go back up to tropical storm status. They are not clear yet on just what the sustained/gusts mph will be, they are right now teetering around 45 to 50 mph. I've been talking to others here who are Hurricane experienced but getting mixed responses about staying or going. We are full timers so we do not have a sticks and brick home to go to. I do have plans and routes for if we leave but would prefer to stay if the camper can handle it. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks to all who, with specific experience with high winds , responded. Based on the updated forecasts we did decide to stay put. We were parked in an area somewhat shielded from the wind, truck hooked up for added stability, jacks down, slides in, and tanks filled for added weight . We were all set to ride it out but fortunately Fred decided to turn quite a bit east which put us well out of the cone. A little rain and mild winds and now blue sky and sunshine. We're good now until we have to get ready for whenever the next one comes.

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #22
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I've driven in 45-50 mph cross winds. Living in northern NV, winds like tha are very common. Pulling a MHC 305RL with a GMC 2500HD.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Hey all, just wondering what the highest wind speeds any of you all have been in in and what you experienced. We are currently in Pensacola and closely monitoring incoming tropical depression Fred, which they say may go back up to tropical storm status. They are not clear yet on just what the sustained/gusts mph will be, they are right now teetering around 45 to 50 mph. I've been talking to others here who are Hurricane experienced but getting mixed responses about staying or going. We are full timers so we do not have a sticks and brick home to go to. I do have plans and routes for if we leave but would prefer to stay if the camper can handle it. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Get the heck out. Not worth the risk. You can always return in a couple days if the storm didn’t cause a lot of damage to the area. You are mobile, a house is not. Tropical storms are tricky and can change at the drop of a hat. Don’t be lazy, get out asap, don’t “wait and see”. Its not just the tropical storm, it’s the tornadoes they can spawn which can be stronger than the tropical storm itself. If by chance you get caught and have to ride it out, put your slides IN. Only open any slides far enough to pass through room and don't walk or sit in those slides. Flush your black tanks well, than fill with fresh water 3/4 full. Leave enough capacity for 24 to 48 hours. Fill fresh tank full, fill galley grey water 3/4 full, if you have 2, fill the second, shower tank just over 3/4. On my rig that would add around 1700 lbs of ballast to the bottom of the rig, helping to stabilize it and keep it in one spot. You will need full fuel tanks for the TV and hopefully a generator with plenty of fuel because you will likely loose power for some time. Is all that worth “sticking around”?. I’d be out of there in a heartbeat. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #24
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I've driven in 45-50 mph cross winds. Living in northern NV, winds like tha are very common. Pulling a MHC 305RL with a GMC 2500HD.
You da' man. I chicken out at 40mph cross-winds with the FW. I've followed OTR truckers in my car in WY and thought they going over from high winds, and some did!
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote