Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Water Pressure

I recently purchased a Montana 3813MS. I filled the on board water tank and water heater but when I opened the tap I get nothing but air and a little sputtering of water. This is true at every tap in the coach. It is the same result when I connect to City Water. The only time I got good water pressure was when I had the selector set to “FILL” and the on board pump working. However, after a period of time the water started pouring out of the overflow on the back of the coach.

Muhldeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your water CITY/FILL valve should be in the CITY NORMAL position always unless you are filling the fresh water tank. The WINTERIZE valve should be OFF, and your water heater bypass valve should also be OFF. If you are operating the pump to provide water from the tank, it might take a bit, with a faucet open, to move water into the system. How did you fill the tank? Outside gravity fill or from the fill valve in the convenience center? How did you fill the water heater tank? If there is still air coming from the hot faucets, then there isn't enough water in the water heater yet to reach the hot water outlet, and hopefully, you haven't turned on the electric water heater function yet. Is this the first time you have tried to use the water system on your trailer? Also, what year is the trailer?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
rohrmann, thank you for your response. The trailer is a 2021 Montana 3813MS. We just purchased the trailer - trading in a 2004 JAYCO. This is the first time that we have attempted to use the water system. I filled the on-board tank with the fill valve in the convenience center. The switch was set to fill and I let the water run until there was water coming from the overflow hose in the back. I then turned the switch to normal flow. The Winterizer switch is off as is the water heater bypass. I let the system run for - what seemed like an eternity. The pump motor never shut off which suggests there is no pressure build-up in the water lines.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
There could be numerous mechanical issues causing this. An easy attempt to get pressure up is to run the pump with a faucet open. That can let air in the line escape and allow for water to be drawn in. I've had to turn the faucet on and off a few times to get water to displace air in the line.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
I've also had the water pump run continuously especially after the trailer has not been used for awhile. when using the water pump i often need to open each of the blue and red water lines in the convenience center until I get good water flow from them. then turn them back off. then the water pump can pressurize the system. hope this helps.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSNRET View Post
I've also had the water pump run continuously especially after the trailer has not been used for awhile. when using the water pump i often need to open each of the blue and red water lines in the convenience center until I get good water flow from them. then turn them back off. then the water pump can pressurize the system. hope this helps.
JoeUSNRET, Thank you for your response. I will try this as soon as we get back up to WV on Friday. BTW, I'm a retired Marine! Semper Fi!!!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
There could be numerous mechanical issues causing this. An easy attempt to get pressure up is to run the pump with a faucet open. That can let air in the line escape and allow for water to be drawn in. I've had to turn the faucet on and off a few times to get water to displace air in the line.
Thank you Sir. I ran the faucets for what seemed an eternity. At one point I was getting spitting of water with the air, but nothing more. I talked to a Tech guy from Good Sam and he advised I should just let in run longer. Will certainly try that, but how long is long enough?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It normally doesn't take more than a minute, two at most. Opening and closing the faucet while listening to how the pump responds. That drain line trick may help also. If not, then checking the inlet hose on the pump for tightness would be the next obvious step. Once air is removed from the pump inlet the rest will take care of itself.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:06 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You also might try "pre-charging" your lines, at least that's my terminology. Hook up to city water and run without the pump until you have good flow at each tap. Turn off and/or unhook city water and turn on your pump. Then run each tap until you have good flow. The first step just gets all the water lines full of water first so the pump doesn't have to pump so much air out of the lines.
If that doesn't work, you may have a leak somewhere allowing the pump to draw air so it never pressurizes. The pump is typically mounted behind the convenience center. You can remove the wall in the basement passthrough to see it. That may shed some light on what's going on. Also, make sure that the pressure relief on the water heater is closed.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
You also might try "pre-charging" your lines, at least that's my terminology. Hook up to city water and run without the pump until you have good flow at each tap. Turn off and/or unhook city water and turn on your pump. Then run each tap until you have good flow. The first step just gets all the water lines full of water first so the pump doesn't have to pump so much air out of the lines.
If that doesn't work, you may have a leak somewhere allowing the pump to draw air so it never pressurizes. The pump is typically mounted behind the convenience center. You can remove the wall in the basement passthrough to see it. That may shed some light on what's going on. Also, make sure that the pressure relief on the water heater is closed.

RMcNEAL, Thank you for your response. I have a number of options to try now and am anxious to get back to my coach to see if they work. It can be very frustrating to fight with the water supply - especially when you can't take a shower. But everyone here has been so helpful with suggestions and I am grateful for them all.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #11
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Your water CITY/FILL valve should be in the CITY NORMAL position always unless you are filling the fresh water tank. The WINTERIZE valve should be OFF, and your water heater bypass valve should also be OFF. If you are operating the pump to provide water from the tank, it might take a bit, with a faucet open, to move water into the system. How did you fill the tank? Outside gravity fill or from the fill valve in the convenience center? How did you fill the water heater tank? If there is still air coming from the hot faucets, then there isn't enough water in the water heater yet to reach the hot water outlet, and hopefully, you haven't turned on the electric water heater function yet. Is this the first time you have tried to use the water system on your trailer? Also, what year is the trailer?

rohrmann, How do you tell when the water heater is full?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhldeer View Post
rohrmann, How do you tell when the water heater is full?
Either when connected to city water or using the pump, when water is flowing from a hot water faucet. From empty, it takes a while to fill the water heater tank before water gets up to the outlet near the top of the tank.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #13
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Is your outside faucet turned on?
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #14
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
I don’t have an outside faucet.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #15
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Quote:
I don’t have an outside faucet.
The one that is in your wet bay by water hookups.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #16
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
If you are talking about the outside shower hook-up - those valves are off. Also, the valves for the hot and cold water are off.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I made the mistake a few days ago when I filled my fresh water. I flipped the valve to "fill" and once water started spewing out the over flow, I turned the shore water off. I wasn't looking, I just reached inside the wet bay compartment and flipped the switch back to "normal". When I went inside the camper and turned the water spigot on at the sink, it started spitting air and the pump would not shut off. I was horribly confused. I even turned the switch for the pump off and back on. Nothing, but the pump running and the water and air spitting.

Then I had the "Duh!" moment!

I went back outside, opened the hatch and looked! Sure enough, I flipped the winterize valve, not the "fill" valve. When I flipped both right, everything was OK again.

Duh!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #18
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Another way to insure hot water tank is full is to open the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank a second or two and if air is escaping water level is not yet sufficient inside tank to turn on heating element. Once water starts flowing out pressure relief valve you know tank is full. Then I run each hot/cold water tap to bleed remaining air out. Upon air gone and good water flow then I turn on the heating element switch. It maybe a tad over kill but I am always confident my tank is full of water before activating the element. If you cannot get water to the tank or fixtures I would definitely search for the loose, broken or obstructed pathway.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #19
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
I recently purchased a Montana 3813MS. I filled the on board water tank and water heater but when I opened the tap I get nothing but air and a little sputtering of water. This is true at every tap in the coach.

It is the same result when I connect to City Water.

The only time I got good water pressure was when I had the selector set to “FILL” and the on board pump working. However, after a period of time the water started pouring out of the overflow on the back of the coach.
Do I understand that you have no water when hooked to pressurized city water?
Old 05-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #20
Muhldeer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28648
Smile Thanks

I want to thank everyone for your very helpful suggestions and ideas. When we got to the coach Friday night I put the selector on "FILL" and let it run until it was running out of the back of the coach. I turned on the water faucets one at a time and let them run until they stopped sputtering. Then I turned the selector to "NORMAL FLOW" and have had good water pressure since. It is still not pumping from the on-board tank, but at least I have water and we do not intend to move the coach anytime soon.