Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
12V short causing auto-reset CB near battery to trip

2014 High Country 343RL. I moved the rig to temporary storage while I'm away. Everything had been fine prior to and during the move. as I levelled I could here a loud click every 15 seconds or so. Then found slides and awning inop. There are three auto-reset breakers near the battery, with the battery hooked directly to one of them - it was that CB that was tripping.

On the supply side there were two wires, I disconnected both and the CB stopped tripping (or course, because there was no longer a load). With those wires removed it seems like everything else works, except the slides and awning. I had to leave to drive north so didn't troubleshoot the whole trailer.With the wires disconnected 12V power seems normal, battery is charging, and fridge works, my primary concerns.

I'm thinking one wire is for the awning and one for the slides, with both systems relying on this CB rather than a 'burn style' fuse in the fuse panel. Since all of the fuses in the panel are 15A (seems low especially for the slides), and since the CB continued to trip, I concluded none of the fuses in the panel could be associated with the slide or awning.

With this guess in mind, when I return in a couple weeks my plan is to see if I can isolate through trial and error which wire has the short. Obviously my hope is that the short is in the awning and that the slides are operational, but if I can get one or the other operating it will at least confirm I'm on the right track.

Is my guess correct about what those two wires are connected to? And does someone know the purpose of the other two CBs next to this one (daisy-chain wired to battery).

Thanks as always

Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A picture would really help! Most Montanas have two self-resetting breakers (CBs), each 40 or 50 amp. I am not familiar with a three self-resetting breaker setup, hence the picture. The CB that feeds the pump has another wire which feeds the converter. The awning is usually connect to the fuse panel inside.

There has been a lot of discussions about these CBs recently. Here are some of the more explanatory ones.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79890

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78438

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
A picture would really help! Most Montanas have two self-resetting breakers CBs), each 40 or 50 amp. I am not familiar with a three self-resetting breaker setup, hence the picture. The CB that feeds the pump has another wires which feeds the converter. The awning is usally connect to the fuse panel inside.

There has been a lot of discussions about these CBs recently. Here are some of the more explanatory ones.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79890

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78438
Thanks. I have a picture but only if the affected breaker. Won't be back to the rig for another 10 days.
Planning on hooking up one wire and see what works and what doesn't, then disconnect and try the other wire. Then go from there. When I get back will post a picture so maybe others will know what's hooked up to what
Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote