Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Our first Monty is here!!! 2005 2980RL

We picked up our first Montana last Saturday and parked it in our back yard until we can get our things into it. We don’t have much to start as we went from tent to tent trailer to the 2980RL, 2005. Have found two minor problems in two days. The sofa is to close to the wall and will not open up, simple fix, and the two rear speakers do not work, you can hear static but no music. Changed the selector switch but did not fix the problem. We did not receive a manual on the furnace so am a little confused when reading the thermostat control information if there is a “heat strip” on the furnace. Looks like the new Granite impregnated composite countertop could be a problem with scratching, will just have to keep an eye on it. We will just have to make a list and have the dealer fix the items after a few trips.

Some of the things that we did not expect were a washer/dryer hookup, porcelain toilet, 2 televisions, a DVD/CD/MPC/?/AM/FM player that played through the surround sound. A slide out extension on the table. There are two hidden (secret ) storage spaces in the bedroom that are interesting. A big plus after reading some other threads is that there is hydraulic manifold with three small valves that will let you select which slide outs you want to move by shutting off the Hyd. Flow to one or two of the three slides. There is also a third waste tank, not sure what goes where but will learn real fast. I think the third thank is for the kitchen only. Microwave has a convection oven cycle that will be great. Sliding privacy doors have been exchanged with a sliding accordion screen. Not sure that this is a plus but will probably not be used as there will just be the two of us.

I am through rambling now,
Looks like we will be happy campers.

PS. My wife asked me to post a question to the MOC but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. How am I going to get out of this one?

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
RLDriver-Yes the third tank is the kitchen gray water.The pull is located between the two tires.Good luck and happy RVing
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations as you start your new adventure. Discovering and supplying a new Montana is almost as fun as traveling with it.....ALMOST. Enjoy! Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
RLDRIVER, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new wheel estate. Have fun deciding what you want to put in all that space. You will quickley fill it up. LOL May you have many happy miles with your new toy.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow!! New Monty!! Great fun!! We haven't had a problem with the counter top scratching. That may be because we have a "no cutting without a cutting sheet" rule. I believe I remember reading a repair instruction stating that super fine sandpaper and polishing rouge would restore the surface.

Our rear (bedroom) speakers work even when we don't want them to. Haven't figured out if there is a fade control or a rear speaker cutoff or how to add one. Seems like I remember someone else with a speaker problem. They indicated surround sound would not work unless the right kind of media was used.

Just tell her you forgot the question. That way, you don't hafta get smacked for the lie as well as for forgettin'.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Congratulations on your new Monty! You will have great fun in stocking it, then rearranging after a few trips to know where you want stuff. I found it easier to buy all extra stuff instead of raiding the house but sure everyone has that keeps a stick home.........have fun and enjoy your adventure.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Montana! We used to have a 2880RL and really liked it. The 2980RL is the updated version of that one.

That privacy curtain - we have the sliding doors and find that when one of us is sleeping and the other downstairs watching TV, closing those doors, opening the bathroom door as an additional barrier, and closing the sliding door between upstairs and downstairs effectively kills the TV noise, allowing the other person to sleep undisturbed. This may also work with the privacy curtain. If you're weekending / vacationing you probably won't have as much need for this as we do.

If you have a heat strip it should be on the AC, not the furnace.

The sofa is probably not bolted down. Ours just sits there and can be moved just like in a stick home.

Check with your dealer about that furnace manual.

And, your wife should get her own userid so she can post here, too! Or share yours.

Good luck and again, congratulations and welcome aboard.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
rldriver,
Congratulations! We got our 2980 last month, and were surprised by all the things that you mentioned. But I'm intrigued, we only found one hiding place (over the bedroom window), where's the other? The sofa must be a recurring problem, ours was the same, but we had the dealer remount it before we left. Found out the rear speakers don't work on music CDs, but work great on DVDs (watched "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" the other night, and it was just like in a theater). The dealer is also going to buff out the countertop, but I suspect it will continue to get minor scratches as time goes by. Tell me more about your dinette table, ours has the side-to-side ability to make it easier to enter, but no extension. Our biggest disappointment in the rig is that you can't get to the fridge with all the slides in, the table sticks out too far. I'm going to put in some kind of a rotation device to allow the table top to turn 90 deg. so we can get by. We knew we were getting the micro/convect oven and the porcelain toilet, but were very surprised by the washer/dryer cabinet (no hookups) and the extra TV (all came at no extra charge!), and by a KING size bed (72x80)instead of the queen.

You've already learned about the 2 gray water tanks and the hydraulic selection valves. We also quickly figured out that to get the king bed, they had to shorten the water closet and that's why the accordian divider instead of the solid sectional one. Doesn't make any difference to us, just 2 ready-to-retire folks.

We looked and looked at different brands and different Montana floorplans, but kept coming back to the 2980RL. My wife loves it more each time we go out (3 trips already). The counter space allows both of us to use the counter and sink without being in each other's way.

Anyway, congrats again on a terrific choice!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I can't imagine that water closet being any shorter than it already is. We wish ours was a little longer, not shorter.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome rldriver and Congratulation on the your new 2980rl, I have the 2004 2980rl it works for me.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 AM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
rldriver,
Shari reminded me of one more thing about the 2980RL. They moved the furnace from under the kitchen counter (on the left as you walk in) to the right of the entry door. When the door is open it covers the furnace exhaust. We had our door latched open in Prescott while I was running in and out doing some work, and the heater came on and it singed the door. Keystone has recognized that this is a design fault and will send a new door with a longer latch to keep it away from the exhaust. Don't know how long yours is, but be aware.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the Forum. You will have lots of fun outfitting the Montana. Even though we had plenty of things we could put in ours from our TT, it's been fun buying the new things we need to fit and match the decor. Enjoy!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks for the posting, lets see if I can do this right and answer your questions.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

rldriver,
Congratulations! We got our 2980 last month, and were surprised by all the things that you mentioned. But I'm intrigued, we only found one hiding place (over the bedroom window), where's the other?
On ours the trim on the right side of the bedroom window hinges and there is a hidden compartment for your keys or those gold and diamond trinkets.

The sofa must be a recurring problem, ours was the same, but we had the dealer remount it before we left.

I think the problem is that it's high in the center so when the installers push it back it does not have room to hinge down. It I don't have to take it back to the dealer for other repairs I will just remove the screws and leave them out.

Found out the rear speakers don't work on music CDs, but work great on DVDs (watched "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" the other night, and it was just like in a theater).
I will have to give that a try but it's interesting that we get static when the radio is on.

The dealer is also going to buff out the countertop, but I suspect it will continue to get minor scratches as time goes by.
They say to use a light abrasive powder but will just have to keep an eye on it.

Tell me more about your dinette table, ours has the side-to-side ability to make it easier to enter, but no extension. Our biggest disappointment in the rig is that you can't get to the fridge with all the slides in, the table sticks out too far. I'm going to put in some kind of a rotation device to allow the table top to turn 90 deg. so we can get by.
The end of the table has about a 10" extension that is self storing under the end of the table. If push comes to shove you can set the HYD. valve to just open the one slide about a foot and then are able to get by.

We knew we were getting the micro/convect oven and the porcelain toilet, but were very surprised by the washer/dryer cabinet (no hookups)
I think you will find that the washer and dryer hook up is there but behind the panel in it's compartment. Check in the basement and you will see a drain line from that area and if you open the panel in the basement there is water lines for it. Also they added a 120VAC outlet in the closet for it.

and the extra TV (all came at no extra charge!), and by a KING size bed (72x80)instead of the queen.

Interesting ours is a queen (60" X 80") but just right for us short people.

You've already learned about the 2 gray water tanks and the hydraulic selection valves.
I whonder what the size of each tank is now. Same total capacity or more?

We also quickly figured out that to get the king bed, they had to shorten the water closet and that's why the accordian divider instead of the solid sectional one. Doesn't make any difference to us, just 2 ready-to-retire folks.

We looked and looked at different brands and different Montana floorplans, but kept coming back to the 2980RL. My wife loves it more each time we go out (3 trips already). The counter space allows both of us to use the counter and sink without being in each other's way.

We hope to make our first trip this weekend but don't want to take it out in the snow so will wait and check later in the week.

Anyway, congrats again on a terrific choice!

Thanks and the best of luck to you and yours.
Dick of Dick and Jackie Driver
Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801

Thanks, I noticed that, and I was wondering why the door holder was sailing in the wind in my rear view mirror. Will have to get some kind of a plastic snap hook to hild it back during travel maybe one of those that you use for mounting a metal rack in a closet.

The furnace is now located next to the water pump and all the piping so should not have a problem with freezing. The access is in the basement behind it's back wall. Just 4 screws and you are there. Also has a open vent across to the hot water tank on the other side. Looks like they changed the heat duct to a solid duct in the basement so it will not get crushed and then they ran the water lines back to the kitchen inside it. Good design.
Thanks again
Dick of Dick and Jackie Driver
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

rldriver,
Shari reminded me of one more thing about the 2980RL. They moved the furnace from under the kitchen counter (on the left as you walk in) to the right of the entry door. When the door is open it covers the furnace exhaust. We had our door latched open in Prescott while I was running in and out doing some work, and the heater came on and it singed the door. Keystone has recognized that this is a design fault and will send a new door with a longer latch to keep it away from the exhaust. Don't know how long yours is, but be aware.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill and Shari, I don't know if you are comfortable about doing this but we just unbolted our table from the floor and let it sit there unbolted. That let us move it at will, such as turning it sideways when ready to retract the slides. It never moved on the road and it did a lot of miles unbolted. If you get a chance, you might unbolt it and see if you think it's steady enough to ride ok. In the 2980 the table is across from the entry door, right? That's forward of the axles and won't get a lot of movement other than some rocking when you hit a pothole and the like. Ours did just fine there in our 2880RL and in our 3295RK.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #16
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Steve and Dick,
Thanks for the responses. I found the second "secret" cabinet tonight when we got home, very clever!

Steve, I've thought about just unbolting the table, I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I'm thinking about using a lazy susan spinner between the table top and the pedestal, I picked one up at Home Depot this afternoon. I think I've figured out a way to pin it in position. If it works, I'll take pictures, if not, I'll keep my mouth shut!

We just got back from a weekend at Jalama Beach (near Vandenburg AFB north of Santa Barbara CA) with our HiLo club. This was our first club and we are officially S.O.B.s (some-other-brand) with our beautiful 2980RL. We held a open house and everyone was very impressed.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If the lazy susan spinner works, please do provide specifics and pictures. I'm sure many would be interested. It wouldn't work on our table. Ours is one of the 'older' type with a leg pedestal on each end rather than a pedestal in the center (I think that's what the newer ones have, anyhow). Thanks. You're right to be proud of your Montana. The 2980 is a beauty. A great layout.