Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Hearing Aids

I thought about where to post this topic, but finally agreed with myself that this would be the place to do it. I had a hearing test on Thursday and my wife Judy and I decided that I should order some hearing aids. I have been having hearing problems for sometime now. In my younger days I was am aircraft pilot and the engine noised caused me some hearing problems (I am 73 and quit flying in about 1980 after about 30 years), later I made it worse by deep water SCUBA diving.

I found out these things are not cheap, I am buying the Miracle Ear 4 channel digital in canal type. I just hope that I see about 4 thousand dollars worth of hearing improvement. The test they gave me showed that I had serious problems in both ears. But of course I knew that before taking the test.

I was just wondering if anyone here on the forum with hearing aids might comment on being new to them and how long will it take for me to get used to wearing them. I am sure they won't restore my hearing to a natural state, but I do hope they will help me hear better in crowds with a lot of back ground noise, also when watching TV, This seems to be where I have the most problems.

I have reached the point where I have to read my wife lips to fully understaand what she is saying to me sometimes. Of course some of what she says, I don't won't to hear anyway

All comments would sure be appreciated as I don't know what to expect. I assume you take them out when you go to bed to sleep or take a shower.

Thanks....

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have had a hearing aid since the late 70's. I hate it and now my ears have changed shape a little so I need a new set. I am sure you can get a set for under 4000.

I am ok one on one but put me in a group with more than one person speaking and I have problems. I think it is because of the dynamic range of the hearing aid. Although they probably have better ones now. I don't wear mine very much and they are completly useless on the telephone. That is why I prefer speaker phones. I use it in movies and meetings.

When I got my hearing aid they did not even give me a hearing test with the hearing aid in. So there is no way to check their work.
One company come to the house and tested me and gave elaborate charts showing what the problem was but they do not test your hearing with it installed.

To keep from being cheated I would go to a certified audiologist.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have one and it didn't take any time at all to get used to. Mine is a Resound, which is a good brand. Mine is about 3 years old so is probably an older technology although it is digital. It's an in the canal type, most people never see it. It's been in for service a couple of times and each time they added another year to the original one year warranty. So it's still in warranty for a couple more months or so.

$8000 for two seems a bit steep. I went through an established small office audiologist. He originally quoted me $1800 for the aid. I called him a couple of days later and told him I was not prepared to spend that much. He asked me what I would be willing to spend. I told him $1200. He said "I can do that" and did. So you might have some room to negotiate, especially if it's not a big, high volume dealer.

Tom, the newer, digital ones can be adjusted by computer in the audiologists office. I took mine in and told them background noise was a little too high for me. It took him about two minutes to adjust it, he asked if I needed higher pitches louder, lower pitches higher or lower, etc. Like everything else, technology has brought about some very good changes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Floridanomads,
I do not have personal experience with hearing aids but I have a relative that has to have them. For the digital the price of about $2k was about what he paid. They have really made a positive difference for him. The digital ones allow him to hear things that he could not hear with the older ones. That's all I know about them. According to sreigle it sounds like you can do a little negotiating regarding the cost. Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks for the comments. I should have stated that the price for the two I am getting is about $3,800 for both. They were a little higher and I did receive some discounts to lower the price to $3800. I am buying them from the Sears Hearing Miracle Ear Aid Store. They will furnish batteries and inspect and adjust the aids every three months. Also, will do adjustments to the programs if needed. I think I have a 3 year warranty.

I told the guy who tested me that I really had problems using a telephone and he assure me that these aids would correct that problem. I had to choose which ear I would use for telephone calls so that he could do special programming.

I will keep you posted on my progress with them. I can return them in 30 days if I am not pleased with them for $150 fee.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:28 AM   #6
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I've used them for about 10 years. The newer digital ones are worth the price. It's not unusual for the dealer (and I also recommed a certified audiologist) to have some room to negotiate price. You can probably get two for around $3500, and they are worth every penny.

Be sure to get the ones that can be programmed in the office. It takes perhaps 3-4 visits to get them optimized for your unique situation. Also it helps to get those that have a few different settings that you can select with the push of a button for differing environments.

Another bit of advice - your hearing won't get any better over the years, so you may want to go to the larger, more powerful ones so you won't have to spend that kind of money again in a few years. (I'm not suggesting the ones that hang outside the ear, rather go for the "full shell" rather than the almost invisible "canal" type.) Not being terribly vain about my hearing loss, I opted for comfort and satisfaction rather than appearance. I have no problems using the newer technology aids while on the phone.

PM me if I can be of further assistance.

Norm (too many jet engines, too many years)
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay I have some more questions and one comment. Check your health insurance policy. I've had the same policy for many years and did not realize until recently that I have a $1,000 every two years allowance for earing aid. I have a 60% loss in one ear due to ear infections and possibly from flying while I had the infection. It is nerve damage so not correctible by any kind of surgery. I also have a constant buzzing in that ear. Did any of you have that? If so, did the aid help. I've been told different things so have not yet taken the plunge but it is very difficult in any type of group especially if someone is on my left side because I cannot distinguish speech in my left ear at all.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Well the ones they fitted me with really suck.

As installed they were way to loud... absolutely useless.

I must point out they were "state of the art" remote controlled aids.. if your hands are full and the aids are squeeling and the control is in your jacket pocket in another room...what do you do???? Fire them into the garbage!!!

Now we have them turned down... 3 modes on a push button signaled by beeps. One beep on, two beeps phone, 3 beeps crowd... guess what... on the street you can't hear the beeps so both ears end up different.... absolute crap. Compensation paid for them and they are a typical govenment product...glitzy and useless as a $300.00 hammer.

Hope you can find a dealer driven by customer satisfation and not government checks.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #9
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
If you are offered insurance on the hearing aids take it! I paid $6000 for a pair and was asked if I wanted insurance coverage. I asked "why would I ever need insurance coverage?" I was told in case they were lost for some reason or maybe eaten by a pet. I thought heck, that will never happen so turned the insurance down. Guess what?? I took mine out and put them on the night stand. My faithful Lab thought one looked interesting and chewed it up beyond reconition. I now walk around with only one. Expensive lesson!!
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I'm just going through the process of settling on which hearing aid to get. I think I found a good one so will probably keep this one when I go in two weeks from now for my 1 month checkup. I have been very deaf in my left ear for about 10 years and never bothered to do anything about it. When I decided to retire I tried to get any medical issues cleared up while on benefits so I went after a hearing aid. My post retirement benefits have a ceiling on them.

I am getting a Starkey (from Minneapolis)and first started with an ITC (In The Canal) but found it didn't help me much and the battery only lasted 8 days. At my one month checkup we changed to an ITE (In The Ear) model because it offered more power and has a larger battery. I've had the battery in for almost 2 weeks and it is still working and I'm hearing much better. The quality of the sound certainly doesn't rival my good ear but I mainly use this for "fillin". The fit on both of mine were so good that neither bothered me right from the start. I'm sure that my brain is learning to hear on the left side again as the clarity is getting better.

Interesting...the aid cost $1100 Can. This sounds cheaper than they are south of the border butI'm sure these things don't cost more than $50 to make!!!

Stay with it...it gets better with time!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm impressed with that battery life! Mine gets 5 to 6 days. Yellow 10 battery.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Today is day 14 and the battery is still working great!! I'm surprised on this as well.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chester, what kind of batteries does it use and what do they cost? Just wondering if my cost per day is excessive. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152

spent $5000 for a pair of digital aids. They work great.
In fact they work to great. I could hear! Thought it was
a blessing until I wore them for about a month. I have decided
that I have heard enough in my life, took them out and they are
now in storage.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 AM   #15
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Steve, the ones that I use are Siemans S13A and cost $6.00 Cdn for 4.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I think in the last 10 years I've tried all the battery brands. Now I mostly use the Wal-Mart brand, $9.93 for 16 and they last about 10 days (size 312). I've found no difference in battery life among brands.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote