Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Sheet
Established Member

M.O.C. #21668
Skylight removal

My skylight has a leak and water is condensed on the inside of the outer light.
How do you remove the outer light I see the screws but when I try to putty knife the sealant it moves the roof material and I am afraid I will tear That material.
Any special tools or just go at it and hope for the best?
Tom

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Do not try to remove the old Dicor. If you must remove the skylight, I would take a utility knife and cut around the dicor sealant around each screw; don't try to remove it all. Once you have cut around the sealant, remove the screw. When you put it back together, freely use new self-leveling dicor on top of all the old stuff.

Do you have to remove it? Can you just put another layer of dicor on it without disturbing the existing dicor and see if that solves the problem? If you need to get to it for cleaning, I can do it on my rig from the inside. Pull the inner half of the skylight down from the inside and you will be able to clean the inside of the outer shell.

Are you sure the condensation is coming from the outside and not the inside?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Sheet
Established Member

M.O.C. #21668
There is a little hole right next to the skylight in the roofing, very small.
I assumed the condensation was due to that.
I did not know you could clear the condensation from the inside. This sounds a lot better than trying to remove the outer skylight.
If necessary to remove the outer.... is the self leveling sealant actually creating the seal on the flange of the light, or is there a sealant under the flagrant also ?
I have located the screws but the factory has installed a ton of dacor on top of the flange holding it down
Old 05-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
There is a little hole right next to the skylight in the roofing, very small.
I assumed the condensation was due to that.
I did not know you could clear the condensation from the inside. This sounds a lot better than trying to remove the outer skylight.
If necessary to remove the outer.... is the self leveling sealant actually creating the seal on the flange of the light, or is there a sealant under the flagrant also ?
I have located the screws but the factory has installed a ton of dacor on top of the flange holding it down
I don’t know about your model, but I can get to the inside of the outer shell by removing the inner shell, real easy.

Yes, items are screwed down first, then covered by Dicor. The Dicor used on flat surfaces is self leveling, almost liquid.

I would not remove the outer shell. I would just seal it up with more Dicor.
The new Dicor goes on top of the old stuff. Check YouTube, I’m sure you will find some instructions. You should check the condition of the Dicor on all your roof fittings annually; reapply over anything that looks bad.

If you decide to remove the outer shell, screws have to come out first, dig into the Dicor and back them out. Find the edge of the flange, use a putty knife or utility knife to lift the flange. Don’t cut or tear the roof membrane and don’t try to remove the old Dicor from the roof membrane.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Resealing it is the best repair if it isn't badly cracked. The current 5ers skylight has a 'factory installed' corner crack that has been repaired with DICOR and has held for 25K miles over 4 years But, with that said, you might want to pull the inner one down and check for more then condensation. I had to replace the outer skylight on our last 5er as it was badly cracked (power line on my street). When I pulled it off found that quite a bit of water had entered. I removed the inner liner and set up a fan to circulate lots of air down the roof cavity while waiting 2-3 weeks for the replacement.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
When we did the PDI on our new 5er we found two cracks on the "inside" half of our shower skylight. It also had condensation between the two halves. The technician easily removed the inside half, wiped the condensation clean, and replaced the cracked inner half with a part from the factory. He said to make sure to hand tighten the screws when/if that inner half ever had to be removed again. He said that most likely, a power screwdriver was used at the factory, and it torqued down the screws too much.

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Sheet
Established Member

M.O.C. #21668
Thank you for your help!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
Sheet