Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
Warm Water Shower This Morning, Not Hot

Took a shower this morning but the water was just warm, not steaming hot like it's been before. Even after several hours with the electric water heater switch in the "On" position the water never got very hot. But when I flipped on the propane water heater the water was seriously hot in less than an hour. So yeah, my electric water heater is having issues I guess. I thought it was either working or not, nothing in between. Maybe a bad thermostat? Anyone have any suggestions on how I might get this working again? (This is a 2011 3100 RL.)

edmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With our 2012 rig, early on, we lost the electric side of the water heater. It turned out that it was the 120 volt thermostat/Hi-limit switch that had failed. I found a new one and changed it out, and all was good. The old one that failed had a red reset button and the new one had a gray button. Some time later, I discovered that there had been a recall on the thermostat that had the red button. Turned out that the vendor that made these for Suburban had made them not to specs and they were failing. I didn't pursue the recall as I had already discarded the bad unit.

As long as you have not burned up the electric element because the tank was empty when 120 volts was turned on to it, I would check the thermostat/hi-limit switch. It should be Suburban part #232306.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
There are some really good videos on UTube about checking out the various Suburban water heater issues and replacement. After loosing a thermostat switch at the start of a long trip, I carry spares for both thermostats, electric heating element, and even an anode rod. Cheap insurance and all really easy to replace. Have a 1 1/2 inch socket for the electric element and a 1 1/16 socket for the drain plug.

Just an FYI, my gas side wasn’t lighting consistently and while he repaired the electric side he checked it and found that the distance between the spark and gas outlet was too wide and adjusted it. Now it lights every time.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Check your outside shower. If it’s on it will allow cold water to back feed hot
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote