Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
3685FL On Order

we currently own a Cougar 281FS which is about 33' long. We have just ordered a 3685FL 2 weeks ago. it's 37'3" long, anyone out there with such a model? How is getting around pulling sucjh a beast. We have F20 PSD, CC, SRW, 4x4 so I am not worried about the truck pulling just the total lenght, do you have problem,s at parks wioth 4 slides?

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Broome101,
Congratulations, I went from a 33' TT to a 35 Fifth wheel. Parking is easier in the long run once you get use to how it reacts. There are many threads here about manuvering them. The two biggest things that come to mind are turning corners on the highway. Since your pivot point is over your rear axles the trailer tires will come in about 4' to 5' on a sharp 90 degree turn. Do not start your turn until your trailer tires are at the pivot point. I know it is all common sense. Backing into a spot remember to pull past the point you think is correct by 5' to 10'.

Most important if it is not right start again. Ego weighs nothing compaired to messing up. Also as suggested get into a praking lot and practice.

Good luck and enjoy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
What a great model. A little practice would be in order. Keep us posted on your adventures. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Broome101,
I tow the 3400RL with a length close to 38' long. I had the 315RLS Mountaineer TT at approx. 33' I have four slides on my coach and I just let the campgrounds know at time of reservations that I need a spot at least 65' long to get the truck and coach in. Also let them know that I do have four slides and need a wide spot. To date I have not had any problems getting into a park. As already stated, towing this size of coach for me has not really been any trouble, it is the corners that will bring the trouble. The best thing I have found is patients. Dont let someone hurry you and put you into a tight spot. I spent the first weekend at the local high school parking lot with some cheap orange caution cones from home depot. Practice going around them as a right corner and backing into the jacknife position to get the coach into a spot. Hurts a lot less running over a cone instead of a car. Congrats on your new purchase.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Thanks to all for your advise. Never thought of going to local school parking lot, will give that a try when new rig comes in. They say it will be 8-10 weeks before it arrives, than they have to prep it and install washer/dyrer combo. Wife instisted on one, looking at it doen't look like it will hold many clothes but I got what i anted in gel coat, so she got her washer.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:31 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I think you will be surprised how much that washer / dryer holds. I can put 2 queen fitted sheets and 4 pillow cases in there together and it does a great job. Mine is so quiet you can't even tell it's on.

Congrats on your new unit.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Thanks to all for your advise. Never thought of going to local school parking lot, will give that a try when new rig comes in. They say it will be 8-10 weeks before it arrives, than they have to prep it and install washer/dyrer combo. Wife instisted on one, looking at it doen't look like it will hold many clothes but I got what i anted in gel coat, so she got her washer.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:18 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have a 3685 bought last Nov and towed it from White City Ks to Colorado Springs and then to Fountain Co we did go to the shopping center parking lot and tow it around prior to departing on the maden trip (both me and my wife)you never know when she may need to drive. Not a lot of moveing but have had almost no problems we love out new home we are planing a trip to Utah with some family in a week or two the south route to stay out of the huge mts. we have had no trouble from our Ford it seems to tow great but what do we know it is our first Rig but it runs great we think. I hope you like your new 3685 as much as we do.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:43 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The 3685FL is a great unit. At first, I thought it a bit daunting to get it into "tight spots". As others suggest, find a parking lot & practice. To me, it does not matter if it takes two or three tries to back it into a slot. The more you do it, the more familiar you become picking up "reference points" during backing-up. As stated before, watch your 90 degree turns---it does have "creep". Enjoy---and I'm sure you will.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Montana_1056

M.O.C. #1056
Congrats on your new purchase.I too own the 2004 3685Fl and really enjoy it. Ive had it for almost a year now and have had no problems until recently with it. The front cab weather stripping flew off somewhere between Chesapeake and Dover Md. The only modifications I have made to mine was replacing the stock water pump to a quitier one that delivers more GPM. I'm thinking of installing a deluxe screen room over the awning to keep the pesky bugs out when using it. The only thing that i found out was that with the washer/dryer combo installed you must be hooked up to a sewer system to use it, since it discharges after the holding tank . Hope you enjoy your new Monty.

Joyce & Butch Hansen ( U.S. Navy)
Chesapeake Va
2004 3685FL
2004 Silverado 2500 HD
Montana_1056 is offline   Reply With Quote