Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A different form of protection

One of the things that came to my attention when traveling, is how does one protect oneself from those people who are intent on taking things that don't belong to them, or breaking into the RV. This pertains to "when you are home (in the RV)"

Wasp Spray

It shoots 20 feet, has the same effect as mace, and it's legal.

Also, it doesn't leave a hole in anything.

Happy trails.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tip, gives me the shivers just thinking of getting hit by it.

Hair spray and WD-40, add a little BIC lighter to either, and it is a formidable counter-attack to a horde of Wasps.
or whatever..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Wasp spray in a fight for your DW and your life?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
retired523
Established Member

M.O.C. #11028
I'd like to know where those things have occurred so we'll know to avoid going there!
retired523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kansas City...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Larry, It is just an alternative.

Now I am assuming that it is one perpetrator at a time. If it is a group of them, run. Let them have what they want. That's what insurance is for.

Jim, I gave up smoking 35+ years ago. We do have a lighter in the drawer for the stove if need be. For those time the piezo(sp) doesn't work. Also, those sprays only go out a few feet. It allows for to close of a contact.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The subject can quickly turn political and we have seen to many gun threads taken over by wackos who see a conspiracy or threat around every corner.
IMO it is a subject proper for a RV forum same as should I get a bed saver or what kind of tires do you have, etc. As long as the subject remains informational and it rarely does on forums,It is a OK subject IMO.

It would be nice to just answer a posters question with out climbing on the soap box. We have the CC licensed and have for years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Now I am assuming that it is one perpetrator at a time. If it is a group of them, run. Let them have what they want. That's what insurance is for.

Jim, I gave up smoking 35+ years ago. We do have a lighter in the drawer for the stove if need be. For those time the piezo(sp) doesn't work. Also, those sprays only go out a few feet. It allows for to close of a contact.
It's not where or when but if. You may have read about an incident in N.C. where a 12 yr. old girl was at home sick from school. Three intruders came, child was shot to death. Her father was my employee.....his father found the little girl, he died a short time after, some say of a broken heart Jeff and his wife still suffer. I really hope "if" never occurs, yet I shall remain prepared. Larry If you are going to reply inside the quotes then try using a different color for your text. That way readers will be able to see your reply vs the original.
Larry when you post inside the quotes it is difficult to read your response and distinguish it from the original text. If you want to include it in the quote then it helps to use a different color for your text. Just a suggestion. RVWheels
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Some RVers arnt as confedant as you Rich, and it can be a concern to them for there safety, and I do agree with you regarding the part about turning into a gun thing and a threat around every corner there is danger. this is a crazy and wacked out time right now.

Another alternative is that fire extinguisher, if you dont have the wasp spray. I personally would invest in a can of bear repelant, I think that would work a lot better than wasp spray, and a lot better attenion getter.

But in reality most of the time things like that happen when you least expect it, and those things are never near you when you need them unless you carry them with you all the time, and who does that. other than a hiker when on a trail.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do have a CC and I may or may not have a firearm in the 3400 and I may or may not carry all the time.That is not the point. If a poster has a question just answer it without a lecture on how nasty the world has become.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Well said Rich
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Evidently, some members feel a need to discuss the self defense/preparedness subject as is evidenced by several recent discussions here (one of which was locked). Unfortunately, the state of today's society IS relevant to RVing. One only needs to read the newspaper to understand that violence can and does happen anywhere at any time. "I won't think or talk about it because it's unpleasant and besides, it won't ever happen to me" is not my idea of being safe and secure in my person and belongings. I have been a victim of crime and carry a feeling of violation that will never go away. Let me just say that I learned from my experience and am prepared to defend what is mine.

Sometimes posters need to expand on their post to clarify their rationale for the post. Personally, I'm willing to read through the post in an attempt to gain better perspective on their position.

In reference to the OP, I choose the least aggressive approach 1st and go from there ... ie: #1 - Situational awareness ... look at your surroundings and what is going on around you. If a situation doesn't look or feel right, trust your instincts and do what is necessary to make yourself, your loved ones and property secure, NOW. If that means hitching up and moving, so be it.
#2 - Lock your RV, TV & stuff up, all the time, every time, even if you're just going to the vault toilet. At least it's a deterrent.
#3 - Security alarms.
#4 and up is the same as for your stick house. Do what makes you feel secure and safe.

Remember, YOU are responsible for YOUR safety and security.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Unless, of course, it's DW. Then it's game on!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I kind of like the wasp spray thing. We have a couple of cans of it on the back deck and I tried it out yesterday. It did shoot out a long distance and don't get some of that stuff on your hands then later wipe the sweat out of your eyes..Holy Moley.
It might be a bit awkward to carry in your purse or in your hip pocket but it would not hurt to have a can handy in the 5th wheel.It does work but you would have to get a eye shot to be effective. It is cheaper than a firearm, Don't need a permit or a backround check to carry it. Now if we could only get the bad guys to carry wasp spray.....
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The mustard spray we had with us while we carried mail for the USPS worked well and it shot out at least 10-12 feet IF the can was new and never used! You really had to watch what you were doing however and make sure the wind is blowing from your back and not into your face! That stuff really stings if you get it on you, period! Need I say more!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
The great thing about wasp spray is that is does go out 20 feet or so, and is very accurate. Would not take much to turn a bad guy into a fleeing felon, and it is easy to use. I think I'm gonna design a special holster for the economy size can, maybe with leg tie downs like the old west gunslingers...
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #17
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I had a friend in New York city,
Never called me by my name, just hillbilly.
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land,
his taught him to be a business man.
Well he was killed by a man with a switch blade knife,
For $43 my friend lost his life.
I'd like to spit some beachnut in that dudes eyes,
and shoot him with my ole "can of wasp spray"

Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #18
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Purchased a can of Wasp Spray last week to spray Wasps shook the can pushed the button nothing happend the Wasp o to live another Day
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ken,
Practice pitching. When that happens throw the darn can at the perp.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I thought I had posted this, but woe is me.

Fatal Campground Stabbing in Myrtle Beach, SC

Violence is around us all the time. We just never know when it is going to strike.