Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Roof Mounted Satellite Dish

We have a new 20ll Mountaineer 326rlt and I am planning to have a Winnegard Traveler 1000 dish mounted on the roof. Up until now in our old travel trailer, I have been using a portable direct tv dish, which is a pain in the neck to set up and locate the get a good signal.
Any thoughts on whether the cost is worth it? Mount at the front o the roof or the rear of the roof. Am planning to have camping world do the installation - not too many options or competition that I can find.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I had the great???????? camping wourld do mine 2 yrs ago and love it but you also have to install a switch over box and then also run 2 tv wires from the rear tv to the front bedroom tv as that is where it comes in , i ran the wires as that was easy as i ran it under the floor , just loosen up some of the bottom covering and a fish tape and start pushing . the dish for direct was with the change over box to go from cable- direct- and antenna for each tv was about 1800.00 but no one will do it and you want to cover the carpet as the guys are all greasey feat etc ;;good luck;;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
I installed a KVH on my 3400 and love it. just keep an eye on trees when you park, some time just a Little back or forward makes a big difference.Did the installation myself, it took some time to do.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You will love it. Consider that you have to get the Travler SK-3005 to get HD. CW should be able to do a good job, just depends on who they hired to install and if he is sober that particular day. With installers, you just never know.
We love our dish, just arrive at the Cg. after plugging in power push a button, grab that cold beer, and the TV is ready for you. Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We also have the HD version of the Traveler and love it. As long as you're not socked in the trees, it's great. Because of the fact that we are still working we leave many times on Friday night and have to set up in the dark. It's nice to hit the button and be watching TV a few minutes later. After working all day and then driving for hours, the last thing I want to do, especially if its cold, rainy or dark (or all three) is be kneeling outside setting up a dish for an hour.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We too, thought of a roof mounted dish. But after watching many people at different RV parks pull in & then out to another site to get a clear view of the sky, we decided not to. I,ve seen some move 3 times!
It takes me 5 to 8 minutes to set up my tripod & dish..never a problem anymore..I modified my Direct Dish with a folding arm for travel & use a Birdog meter. I can move my dish around in a 100 foot circle.
I guess whatever you are comfortable with, that is the way to go....

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would love to have one and have been tempted many times. However the fact is we would still have to carry around the portable setup as to many times trees and other obstruction get in the way. The roof mounted units are great if you always have a unobstructed vied of the southern sky. No guarantee there. We are considering the portable dish unit that can be attached to the rear ladder or moved around to clear obstructions..

As long as all the factors have been thought about and considered....go for it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have not installed a roof mount--to many trees in most RV parks that we use. Since I am a retired antenna engineer--I just look at the antenna setup as little technical problem that makes me get the cobwebs moved out from my senior brain! My wife thinks it is terrible but alway lets me set up and helps out when she can.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had one on the SOB before the Montana, there good if you have a clear shot at the satilite. I like being in the trees for the shade and the camping in the forest look, so it did not work out that well for me, I do like the New Cube idea, but I'm waiting for them to get better for the dish network it uses 2 LMB's and once I have it set up I dont want to mess with it again. set it and forget it just turn on th set.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have been tripoding my Hughes and Directv for the last 4 years and love it. When we are on the road I either go without internet and DTV or use the CGs wifi and cable or over the air. If we are there or two days or more then the dishes go up. I bought a birdog meter a couple years ago and that makes a world of difference. With it I have both dishes set for max signal before ever connecting a cable. And as Lambchop says I have a very large circle to shoot through trees with. My usual setup time for both systems is about 15 minutes each..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I have been tripoding my Hughes and Directv for the last 4 years and love it. When we are on the road I either go without internet and DTV or use the CGs wifi and cable or over the air. If we are there or two days or more then the dishes go up. I bought a birdog meter a couple years ago and that makes a world of difference. With it I have both dishes set for max signal before ever connecting a cable. And as Lambchop says I have a very large circle to shoot through trees with. My usual setup time for both systems is about 15 minutes each..
Dave,
Last winter there was a fellow next to us with a SOB 5th wheel that had the Hughes dish & Direct on his roof. He moved twice when he got there & could only get his Direct Dish to work..Too Many Tree's!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have used our Traveler for over three years and love it. However, as stated, they cannot see thru the trees, as no dish can. Many parks let you choose your site and we use a compass and eyeball the sight BEFORE backing in. Has worked MOST of the time. We also carry a portable dish and have used it twice in three years of fulltiming. If I just had the portable, I would have a Birdog (costly) meter also. We use the HD DVR in the LR and a HD receiver in the bedroom with the 22" LED I installed in there. Had to have technician run a seperate wire from Traveler to BR for the setup. For the hassle free setting up our money is on the Traveller. BTW: Camping World in Mesa did our install and the first dish they installed was NOT HD, I caught it in the parking lot and they had to change out the dish. I would sit down with service manager and ascertain if they had installed these things before. (I tried to have in installed in Tucson, but the service manager said she did not have a competent electronics guy at the time and recommended I take it to Phoenix, which I did). Ours was mounted above kitchen in our 3400. Hope this helps.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
"IF" you have given any thought of attending a Quartzsite Rally, a couple of MOCers have had them installed while in the circle! A very qualified man comes out & with his helper, they are usually done in hour or hour & half.

Sign up is in town @ DirectTV tent. HD dish, recorder & installed at camp = $1850.00 per HoboBob. We had it done last year & I know of at least one other who had it scheduled a couple days later. He was also concerned with the location of the dish because of his solar panels. They put where he was happy with,
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had ours installed at Wilsonville C/W and they did a great job. when we took it outside to test it there were a bunch of trees in the area and it still picked up the signal. When the dish is up it is about 14' in the air so it takes more to block than if it is on the ground. If you are right next to trees it could block but we haven't run into that problem yet.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We too have the SlimLine Dish and love it. More and more CGs are getting Satellite friendly. Ask for a Satellite friendly site when checking in. I also check with my compass to help position the rig if there are trees. The Carry-Out Dish is nice, but make sure it's chained to something that's not going to move, member of our Good Sam group had theirs walk away during the night recently.