Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is my guess.Montana has been the #1 seller of 5th wheels for years.Montana did not need the Big Sky option to maintain that status. The bean counters would know exactly how many Big Sky options are sold per year.the Alpine may have needed help in their sales. To be honest in the Alpines we have seen we do not see any significant difference between that model and the Montana. That option on the Alpine without competition from the Montana may increse sales yet not impact on Montana's # 1 status... The bean counters will be watching..My Opinion..it won't work.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rumor back in late April/May was the Big Sky is no longer going to be produced as you can order every option on a standard Montana that the Big Sky has except the paint. There was talk of the Montana having the full body paint job as an option (like the Alpine), but it would still be called a Montana. The Big Sky name was supposedly done. It will be interesting to see how line ups of the top manufacturers shift over the coming years... Baby boomers and folks with jobs that transfer frequently are jumping into the RV industry full speed ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
They have quit making the "Big Sky" in the past only to bring it back after they find out it was a dumb move. Stay tuned
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve Grobstig (WTF) traded his 2007 Montana in on a 2013 Alpine. So far, he is very happy with the improvements and floor design. For those going to Q, he might give you a tour and also heard a rumor he might be serving wonton appetizers!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #25
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Yes Robbie so far I really like the new Alpine, 3500RE, was going to down size till I looked at this model. But then like other model trailers the more on the road the more complaints. This is really a new design, all the mor-ryde pin box and suspension are gone, never did figure out if was any better. Will be at the Q for all to come take a look, as for won ton's will see.
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
It's a shell game. Look at the Alpine, the Redwood, the Big Sky, and Montana. They are extremely similar. I think it comes down to personal taste and opinion. Montana is tried and true and will be hard to overcome when a fair comparison is made. Only reason I can see for Keystone to build them all is market share. IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I just traded my 2011 Alpine 3640. Biggest reason....junk. In 24 months we have had 2 different cracked rims, converter toilet bedroom tv tires brakes all had to be replaced, big piece of molding on kitchen slide out fell, leaks too numerous to mention, oh and add water pump to list of things replaced, and to top it all off frame flex on the hitch.
Now it will be someone else's p.o.s. When the frame flex problem appeared I made an appointment to take it to a dealer who said the last one he had had to be sent back to the factory. Had to wait 5 weeks for the appointment and in the meant time I traded it in on an 08 Mobile Suites. Unbelievable difference in quality. I have been full timing for 4 years and Keystone almost caused me to give up the life style.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember now it is a whole new ball game with these lines starting in about October 2012.When we were at the rally in September they were rolling out the new lines, 12 inch frame , etc. Stay tunned.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #29
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
The Keystone website now shows Montana and the Alpine as luxury models.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #30
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I see quality differences between the Montana and the Redwood and would not describe them as similiar. Will be interesting to see what the final Alpine turns out to be. Several of the old senior managers who built the Montana Line are running a new subset of Forest River called Prime Time, and building a pretty sharp fiver marketed as Sanibal.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The web page for the new Alpine list all the equipment does not list near the equipment of the Big Sky ,no G rated tires, no MOR/ryde pin box, no EZ lube, no full body paint,Lipert 6 point leveling or mamy other things. The plain Montana has options not listed on the Alpine.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They just moved the Montana over to the Luxary list wthout doing anything else.No Full body paint..No Big sky package. I sense conflict among the brands.Don't think Montna was happy about losing the Big sky package.Let them duke it out.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #33
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Well Monty owners I suggest you checkout the Alpine in person, all the ones I looked at had more then whats listed as standard. Mine has the Alps package, Chateau package and most of the options package plus the 6 point lippert system. I loved my Monty but life is so much easier now. Plus had my solar system moved to new one to boot.
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #34
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just when you thought you could brag about having the top of the line, they go and change the top. Go figure!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I see quality differences between the Montana and the Redwood and would not describe them as similiar. Will be interesting to see what the final Alpine turns out to be. Several of the old senior managers who built the Montana Line are running a new subset of Forest River called Prime Time, and building a pretty sharp fiver marketed as Sanibal.
I agree, I don't think the quality of the Montana and Redwood is similiar.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bruce how are you rating the two? Which one do you feel has the better quality? Inquiring minds would like to know!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana is a great bang for the buck and IMO that is why most of us have one.Quality in the RV industry is nothing to brag about.These things are more alike than different ,The assembly lines look the same, the workforce looks the same. The vendors look the same.The quality is on the assembly line assembling these things and IMO training, supervision and quality control is lacking on all the brand lines.Drawers and compartment doors improperly installed, wiring improperly installed.Screws missing.loose carpeting.These things occur on the assembly line by workers that are not properly supervised and a lack of quality control.We already have a list of 12 items all of them poor workmanship issues.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #38
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I think Montana used to be a great bang for the buck, (thats why we have had three of them) but they have priced themselves up into the higher end competition. Re Montana vs Redwood, the Redwood and Blackwood fivers are sharp units and I think a cut above, we have spent a lot of time looking at the Redwoods, and the quality grabs you immediately. The prices are higher, but a few years ago, the delta between Montana and a higher end product was 25-30K and now its half of that which makes it worth negotiating, ie the extra 25K aint worth what I get, so Montana is the choice, but now maybe an extra 8K is. Montana is still a great fifth wheel, and we have loved all of ours. And as reflected above, QA/QC is weak across the RV industry. Whatever you buy, from a fifth wheel to a Class A, you spend the first few months finding problems no matter how careful an initial inspection you do.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

The web page for the new Alpine list all the equipment does not list near the equipment of the Big Sky ,no G rated tires, no MOR/ryde pin box, no EZ lube, no full body paint,Lipert 6 point leveling or mamy other things. The plain Montana has options not listed on the Alpine.

Frank
I just returned from my dealer where the Sales Manager offered two pieces of information.

1. The "Big Sky Package" is still available/orderable on the 2013 models.

2. The Keystone web site is a "train wreck" in his opinion. Who ever is doing the upgrade is more concerned about format than content. Much of the information about Montana (and their other brands) is incorrect, out dated, and omits many of the features.

His recommendation is to not put too much faith in anything you see or read there (which also is a pretty good statement about most everything on the internet).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Bruce how are you rating the two? Which one do you feel has the better quality? Inquiring minds would like to know!
I agree with richfaa that the Montana is still good bang for the buck and a good RV. I also agree with 1retired06 that the Redwood is a cut above the Montana in quality, but they also cost more.