Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Propane heater

I have a question about the Big Buddy Heater Catalog Item # 34073 that is on sale at Camping World. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...451851&rewrote

1. Can you run it with out the fan?
2. Can you run it off of a larger propane tank?

Thanks for any help,

Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We use a heater just like the one your looking at in an outdoor drama our church does in early December. We have it in a warming shed where the actors can step inside to get warm (we are in New England). It works with no fan and we run it off a 20lb tank. It keeps the 12 x 12 shed nice and toasty on low heat. A shed is not air tight to any stretch of the imagination so I think it would perform well in a Monty. They are indoor rated but I wouldn't feel comfortable running it while sleeping.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Just bought one. Haven't used it yet, except to do a burn in out of doors on the unit to minimize any new paint or oil coated metal smells, smoke, etc. for when we really need it in the 5er. It is not a catalytic burner like the Olympian Wave Heater, so it is not truly a CO-free type of combustion process. That said, the Big Buddy is approved for temporary indoor heating, provided that you have adequate ventilation. Meaning - preferably that you open a roof vent and a lower vent (window) at the other end of the trailer. They recommend at least 18 square inches (4.5" X 4.5") of opening for the Big Buddy. They warn to absolutely not use when sleeping! I think more as a liability-wise thing, but I know for sure that I will not use it while asleep, as I definitely don't want to wake up dead some morning. Also, if you use a larger tank, it (the tank) must be kept outside, and you need use an 11" water column regulator and propane filter if you use the quick disconnect coupler on the heater as well.

...and, yes, you can use it without the fan.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I got mine at Bi-Mart for $129.95, so that beats CW by $20.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
From many years experience as a volunteer firefighter, there is NO way I would ever use a propane heater indoors without plenty of ventilation and even with ventilation NEVER EVER sleep while the heater is operating.
During the colder months we responded to many an emergency call where we carried the homeowners out in body bags. Some passed on from CO inhalation and some came out as crispy critters.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
We purchased one this winter for emergency use in the stick house. You can run it on high using two of the disposable LP bottles or use the 20 pound tank. Manufacture recommends using a filter when using the 20 pound tank to allow only vapor to go into the heater. There is an oxygen depletion sensor that will shut of the heater when O2 reaches a certain level. On the 18,000 btu setting it heated our den very well which is 18x24. Purchased from amazon for 136.00.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As we have mentioned at other times, we have a Blue Flame propane heater that we use in the mornings and evenings to warm up the rig. We run the furnace at night when located in areas where the temps drop below freezing. When we run the propane heater, we keep a vent open.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote