Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perfect first day of travel. No construction, no heavy traffic, perfect weather.Did 400 ,miles in 8 1/2 hours including two fuel stops and lunch.Fort Chiswell RV Park in Max Meadows, Va is a nice C.G///Drive through site, 50 map, cable wifi , Full hooks...$29.12. Helen is still on the first tank of fuel with the Accord. I am down 130.00 for fuel..3.230 at Flying J max Meadows.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Rich and Helen - So glad you had a good first day of travel. While I was sitting behind my desk working I thought of you and your travels. We're dreaming what you are living. Thanks for keeping us posted as it keeps us motivated to keep on dreaming!!!! Enjoy. Like the gas mileage Helen is getting too! WOW!!! Cyndie
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #23
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
With all the talk on the board about the weather down there. I just wanted to let you know that the sky started falling on my house this morning......it is cold ok its 30-34* and the fireplace is on...DW is shivering and wanting to head south NOW... there shouldnt be any accumulation of little fallings(cant even say the word)....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Another perfect travel day. We covered 335 miles today with no problem. Had to turn the A/C on around Columbia,SC. We are in a KOA in Yemassee, Sc..it was 73 degrees. We are going out for a good seafood dinner. We have no idea were we will stop tomorrow. We have 385 miles to go and till Friday afternoon to get there. Perhaps somewhere along the coast for a couple of days.. Life is good...
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #25
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We woke up to ssssssnow on the mountain tops today. As soon as the hitch comes in for the GMC Canyon we just bought we are headed south. I know that the Mountaineer is a little heavy for the Canyon but Sallie is going to drive one of the trucks. I really didn't like pulling the long train last year and the new quad trailer we bought this summer dosen't follow the 5er as good around corners, it likes to cut in. We can't wait for Tuesday to get here so we can leave.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 AM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! Who is in Orlando and maybe working at Disney World this week??
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Another perfect travel day...We are coiled up at the St Augustine beach KOA for a couple of days. Changed into our official snowbird uniforms upon arrival..Sandles, shorts, tank top, sunglasses. Will hit the beach tomorrow and soak up the sun and sights.Only 132 miles to our winter residence. Will get there Friday afternoon...Low tonite 71 degrees...Way under budget so far..Diesel at Flying j was 323.9 all the way down. Helen has spent 32.00 for fuel for the Accord. 305.65 for the truck. 101.00 per day for the truck....10.00 per day for the Accord.Tell me it is cheaper to rv????
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #28
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wayne,

You have jinxed us, I just heard that there is a cold front coming in with hail and colder temperatures. You just had to brag how warm it is here.

Richfaa,

Try staying in a hotel all winter long and compare the prices to your RV site. I bet you will find you are ahead of the game in the RV, especially since you will have the Honda to drive instead of the truck.

Hotels around the Texas City/Groves/Houston are running any where from $89.00 to over $100.00 a night for adjusters. Our RV site is costing us $410.00 all bills paid. Green Caye, a park that we can't get into, is charging $350.00 all bills paid. What a deal!!

Safe travels and enjoy the snowbird uniform.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No doubt Colleen..It was the trip down that I was talking about.Once we settle in it will cost us maybe 600.00 per month and the Honda runs forever on a tank of gas. There were plenty of rv's heading south.There would be 10/15 at every rest stop and fuel stop we were at. However..The camgrounds we stayed at were far from full and we have had no problems with reservations anywhere. This one in St Augustine Beach, Fl, although not right off I-95 it is in a prime tourist area and it is nearly empty.As we were looking at C.G's along the coast from Savannah to Daytona Beach this morning all of them had plenty of room..oh boy...nice Ocean breeze.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Well, for the west coasters, it was 80 today here in Pahrump, NV. Headed for Bullhead City, AZ tomorrow, supposed to be 85.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Aw Colleen!
Those storms are for Houston, and most likely North Houston. Y'all be pretty nice where you are. We haven't even had a drop of rain yet. Well, weatherman said it might be another hour before it hits the coast.

Hope we don't loose power. I'd have to move out into the SOB parked in the driveway. Built ramps for it today and it's sitting level. Had to rais it 10 inches and then block the levelers and finish a few inches.

Hey, it's going to be low of 47, 56, 54 Friday, Sat. and Sun with a high of 77, then Sat, Sun and Mon will be 80, 82 and 75. Don't ya just hate weather like that!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #32
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
All Right!!! All Right!!! I can't take it any longer!!!
I am now officialy envious of you all. It is in the 30's overnight lately and getting up to a high of 51 today.

Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable time wherever you finally settle for the winter.

Looking forward to some day in the future joining all of you.

God Bless
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are finally at our winter residence. The trip down from Ohio on I-77 was uneventful.The two day stopover in St Augustine Beach, Fl was a treat.weather is sort of wet and warm and humid but better than snow and Ice. Diesel was less than last year down..334.9 at Flying J till we got into Florida then it increased .20 . Still saved big time on the fuel budget, Our campground fee will be 165.00 per month less than last year for the same space. Will check at Disney Monday.No matter we will enjoy the winter.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
My brother and family are "touring" MM World. Say hi to him for me. You will recognize him as he is the good looking one, just like me but with more hair!!!!! After all, he is younger.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #35
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Rich & Helen, Glad you are in safely. Tom went over to Disney yesterday and they already have him scheduled. I am going to wait until after my annual MRI at Moffitt on 11/12 before committing to work again this winter. We will be in touch when we get some ideas as to where would be a good spot for a luncheon and extended visit for us FL Snowbirds.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Was Tom already a cast member..Helen is a cast member but I am not and we are told that there is a hiring freeze..We will find out Monday. We are not far apart for a get to together anytime.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's about 80 miles from Clearwater to you guys. If we each split the difference and each drove just 40 miles we could meet somewhere near Plant City.
Just a thought.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #38
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
[quote]Originally posted by Waynem

Okay now! All y'all can come on down to Texas. Woke up to 63 degrees this mornin'. Winter has arrived.

For those not in the know, we have about 2 weeks of winter every year. It's a day here, a day there, a day here, but it all adds up to 2 weeks.

We have been on the road since the 21st, from the Grand Canyon the weather is getting warmer. We stopped a couple of days just out side of Flagstaff, AZ and then on to Albuquerque,NM. Today we head for Elaphant Butte, just about to Las Cruses,NM. We are shooting for Nov 1st to be in Big Bend National Park. Life is good. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #39
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are leaving for Apache Junction Saturday Nov 1st. Will stay in Grants NM on way down at our usual place and arrive Sunday at our RV park. Hope others will be near too. I know one couple not far from where we are going. Have some other friends coming too.
Son flew up yesterday and left today with our Dodge Durango. So we don't have to drive the truck this winter much. Going to keep it there all the time. Don't know where all we will be next year but leaving AZ around last of March.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #40
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dusty,
We will be in Mesa, AZ maybe on Thursday, 30th. I don't know how long we will be there but expect 2 - 3 days, maybe more. Depends on DW and a friend she is going to visit. Apache Junction is not that far away - maybe lunch or dinner half way?

Edited: Tonight, 28th October, we are at Ft. Stockton RV park, about 3 miles east of Ft. Stockton. Nice little overnighter park. Main point for us was the attached cafe. tonight's sepcial was pork rib, mashed taters, green beans, rull, fruit cake - and we splurged on a bottle of wine.