Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Tire Pressure Monitoring System & Backup camera

We are planning a trip to Alaska and the Youkon Territory in 2009. To properly set up our TV are the TPMS and backup camera a necessity or just nice things to have.
Would appreciate your views/recommandations.
For those that have made the trip what extra items should we plan on taking with us I.E. generator, extra tire....

Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
These are two items where those that have them love them, those that don't have them see no benefit to them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The rear view camera is a huge safety device.I think it should be manditory on all RV's. Would it not be nice to be able to see all the lanes of traffic behind you as well as that blind spot directly behind you. Same with the tire pressure monitor.. It just might save you a bunch of money by alerting you to a loss of air pressure and a tire failure causing damage to the camper..It could also save your life???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having lived in Anchorage for the last 14 years, we started fulltiming in May 07 and made the trip down the Alcan in Jun 07.
I would recommend the following: A tire pressure monitoring system (I had two flats that the system detected early before any damage to the rig occurred), One extra tire for trailer and truck (I had to buy a trailer tire in Canada, costly, to say the least), an extra air filter and fuel filter for truck (had to buy one of each on the road, costly, to say the least), 6-12 ton bottle jack, obviously to jack the trailer, if you need to (as I did, twice), emergency cones to put out if you break down on the road (not always a place to pull over) both my flats were changed just on the side of the road, had to use the wife as my cones, A good breaker bar for removing lug nuts with sockets to fit all wheels, Torque wrench to retorque lug nuts after changing a flat. I suppose a back-up camera would be nice, I didn't have one and don't plan on buying one.

I found plenty of places to stay so I did not have a backup generator. I have one now and it would be a "nice to have, just in case" piece of equipment.

Of Course, all these things add extra weight to your rig so pack accordingly and most of all "ENJOY THE TRIP"

Remember, these are my opinions and others may differ. Your rig-your comfort level.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The first time I had to drive through a large city in heavy traffic that answered the question about a camera for me. Trying to judge if i had enough room to change lanes. Now I look at the monitor and I know for sure. It is also nice when backing into a site because I can always see my wife when she is in my blind spot.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
While I don't have a backup camera system, we do have a tire monitoring system. It was great for our 2007 trip to Alaska. It is really great for detecting low pressure as well as high pressure. We did not take any extra tires beyond the spares on the Monty and the TV. We did get a 12 ton hydralic jack to change tires and a 4-way tire tool. I used these in Nevada after our return. I also put in a 12 VDC air pump to supplement my 120 Volt AC system in case we broke down on the road. By the way, cell phone service is spotty at best--so you break down service will not be able to help you because you will not be able to call them. So be prepared. The only other extra item we installed was a 5 cubic foot freezer in place of a recliner for our fish--we brought back about 100 pounds of fillets! The freezer is also nice for other foods when there is room. I also recommend Mike and Terri Church's book on Alaska Campgrounds--it is avialable on Amazon. And get the current years Milestone for excellent travel info. Have a great trip!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The book you want is "The Milepost". Don't leave home without it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote