Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Fraudeulant eBay email

I just got an email from some clown claiming to be from E-Bay,this is a screen shot of the email. It had the ebay logo with colors and all.

Suspension Notice

Your eBay userid has been unactivated

You have been unactivated from eBay because of recent fraudulent activities on some accounts.

Please reactivate your userid. Click Here.

Thank You.

I know it is BS for several reasons, 1. I don't have an ebay account. 2. Firefox immediately nailed it as a Fraud Site
3. I sent a very vulgar response and the mail delivery system kicked it back as undeliverable. So as old Hill Street Blues Officer Phil Esterhouse used to say, "Lets Be Careful Out There"... Dave and Betsy
P.S. If you receive any email like this forward it to spoof@ebay.com so they can take legal action.

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the warning.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I also got a fraudulent email from EBay telling me the item I ordered was on the way. I had ordered no such item and reported it to the spoofing address.
They replied to me thanking me as this was a scam to get people's logins...be careful out there. The Internet is not a safe haven.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
This is known as "PHISHING" and is developed to dupe those with limited internet experience into releasing their date of birth, credit card info, etc. to the phisher so they may steal your identify. Google (yep, its now a verb) PHISHING for more information amigos!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Steve & Brenda wrote:
This is known as "PHISHING" and is developed to dupe those with limited internet experience into releasing their date of birth, credit card info, etc. to the phisher so they may steal your identify. Google (yep, its now a verb) PHISHING for more information amigos!!!
10-4...I get stuff like that all the time on email accounts fee pay doesn't even know I have. Delete, delete, delete!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don't even open. I get them a lot. If they are not addressed to you, calling you by name in the body, they are phishing. I get them from banks as well, some I do not even have accounts with.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
For e-bay users, watch out for these from pay pal also. Over the last 9 years I have been on e-bay I have received them on a regular bases, everything from wanting to ask a question to asking were is a payment for something I did not bid on. When you click on anything in the e-mail it usually comes up with a window to input your password. Don't Do It, as Exnavydiver stated forward it to e-bay. They will let you know if it is a spoof or phishing e-mail. If the e-mail is questionable to you it is probably not from e-bay.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Having spent my years at NASA in computer security, let me say this:

Never respond to any of these types of email. The link that you may see may not be the actual link that you will be redirected to. It is very easy to create a hyperlink that redirects you to a phishing site. Many of the emails that are sent, are redirected back to the same web site, usually overseas and not easily obtained by law enforcement.

Many of you may have received email from Nigeria. That scam has been going on for 20 years (Started as mail, then FAX, then email) and the responsibility for trying to catch the frauds is the United States Secret Service. (Go to there site and search on "Nigeria") By the way, that scam is the third per-capita income for that country.

If you do not know the person that has sent you an email, you are best off just deleting it. I personally do not allow HTML email to come into my email box. It is converted to plain text or junked. HTML Email is dangerous and can contain code that can automatically run when opened. I never open a link that I did not solicit.

When dealing with web sites and you need to provide information, such as when you are on-line banking, make sure that the site begins with HTTPS:// The "S" indicates a secure socket layer, or "encrypted" site. Although not totally foolproof, it does defeat most lurkers.

If you think "lead" in products from china are the only thing, they are heavy into trying to break into U.S. Infrastructure.

We are only as strong as our weakest link.

Semper Fi!

p.s., What you see in your email is not the full email. There are embedded headers that are needed by the companies being "spoofed." Depending on your email client, depends on how you get the full header. If you are going to forward your email to the abuse police at any institution, you need to provide the full header. Typically you can seed it to ABUSE@(whatever.com) or POSTMASTER@(whatever.comm) Example: abuse@paypal.com, postmaster@paypal.com (send it to both - if they get bounced back, try .net or .org.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Thanks for the heads up! There is another scam going on, especially on "Craig's List". I was selling an oak roll-top desk (we're trying to liquidate and head out fulltiming). Someone sent me a bank check for $1,830.00. I took it to my own bank. They checked it out and declared it to be good. Together we were suspicious. They put a "reasonable doubt" hold (11 business days) on it and 6 days later someone stopped payment on it. I am not going to use Craig's List at all anymore.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
I get this type of email often. I used to sell on ebay a lot so I was always getting 'spoof' emails. I just send them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. Ebay doesn't send emails about your personal account anymore. They send you emails that you can only read from your "my ebay" page. You have to remain sharp when dealing with these scam artists. Never click on a link in an email. I always look at the info and then go to the website by entering it in the browser window or using my favorites. (long long list). my DH has gotten bank emails that look like the real thing. He'd get all bent out of shape because of whatever emergency it said was happening. I had to train him not to believe anything they send to him via email. Go to your account and check it for yourself - through your own browser window or favorite link.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Firewalls and virus protection are needed to further protect you from the malicious content that can be sent by email, or downloaded when you visit a web site. The "Windows XP Firewall," only protects about 60 percent of the malicious content on the web. There are other firewalls that will protect you to a higher percentage, but nothing is foolproof. I use ZoneAlarm from my PC, and Symantecs Security Suite for my laptop (it came with the laptop) If you do not use them, you are just a matter of time before your computer and all of your information is compromised.

Have you ever received an email that said the person you were trying to send it to does not exist and the email got bounced back to you? AND - you didn't send it.

If you are interested in how that happened, ask me.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote