Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #21
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
That's exactly what happened to the guy I talked about in one of the threads on hitches a day or two ago! He had a Ford shortbed and had the slider and just forgot to get out and adjust his! BAMM, right half of the sliding window and right rear corner of the cab not to speak of the front corner of the fiver! OUCH!! That's one thing I never -keeping my fingers crossed- do (backing or parking) without getting out of the TV and pulling the lever to slide the slider to maneuver position!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #22
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We have a new Dodge dually with the new motor and a long box. Since the mega cab box is 2" shorter than a short box, we decided to go with the longbox. The new motor is great, way more power and much quieter.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, the shortbed on the Mega Cab is identical to the quadcab shortbox, at least on 2007 models.. I measured and checked the mfr's figures before we purchased the 2007 megacab. Maybe it's different in 2006? The Dodge shortbed is 2 inches shorter than GM's and 5 inches shorter than Ford's. However, the length difference is behind the axle. Cab to axle center, where the pin goes, is within a fraction of an inch the same in all of the shortbeds. So proximity to the cab in a turn is nearly identical on the mega cab and the quadcab shortbed.

I've been using shortbed trucks with a slider since 1995 and never had this problem. But, then, I am constantly aware, when turning, that the possibility of collision exists. I'm paranoid about it enough to never forget. If I think I'll be close, I have Vicki watch the cab/FW clearance and sometimes I'll get out and check it myself.

With the new Montana nose, turn radius is so good with a shortbed I doubt I'll ever need to use the slider again.

this is without using the slider
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote