Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Air Bags w/ Controller

Just finished having Air Lift air bags (SuperDuty) and controller (SureSet)installed. Right away I've noticed that even though I've set the pressure @ 20 lbs for each side, it keeps fluxuating up and down while traveling down the road (No Load). First thing in the morning the controller only shows 8 lbs each side prior to the compressor kicking in and bringing it up to the setpoint. Is this normal operations? I've checked all the lines with soapy water but found no leaks. Awaiting answers from Airlift also. Thanks for any assistance.

John K.

Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Can't really say about your system. I have Firestone Ride-Rites without the onboard compressor. I drop the pressure to 5-6# when not hooked up to the Montana and about 20# when towing. I notice no decrease in pressure at any time and go for months without checking and the pressures remain constant. Your description says there is a leak somewhere.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here's what I did:

My Airlift system would drain down every night (my set point is 5#) so that when I turn the key in the truck in the morning, I would invariably get the annoying "purring" sound coming out from under my hood as my air bags were empty - spring support kept a couple lbs in them. Also, everytime you hit a bump in the road the compressor kicks on for a split second. This only happened at any inflation of 30# or less. At 40# or higher, I would not lose a drop - over any length of time. Only leaked at LOW pressure.

I finally took it back to my installer. We also tried soapy water to no avail. He took everything apart and tried to isolate the leak - no good. Finally, he took his shop air (not using my onboard compressor) and blasted it all the way up to 100# - the max rating for these Airlifts. I have not had a leak since at any level. I have been holding 6-7 lbs for 2 weeks now. Must have needed to seat a connection???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
The set of AirLift Super Duty bags I have do not drop in pressure at all. You should have a low pressure sensor that won't allow the pressure to drop below 10 psi. I have had them now about 10 months and still strong. I run them at the 10 psi when not in tow and max when towing. It is normal for the air guage to fluxuate up and down due to uneven road surfaces but there shouldn't be less air in the morning from parking the night before, it should be the same or I would think there must be a leak. Let us know what you find out.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have had my air lift bags and compressor for 3 years. Only once did they loose air. I used some solution to spray around the fittings to find the leak. I had to remove two of them re trim and re- install and no more problems.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My set point on my Airlifts are 5 lbs. I run at 6-7# or my headlights point down too far. I run at 55 lbs loaded with the 3400.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote