Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
good description of regeneration

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...eneration.html

This is in the turbodieselregister forum. It has a very comprehensive description/discussion on the regen process.

There apparently is "passive regeneration" and "active regeneration."

If I understand this correctly...

Passive regeneration is where the driving situation produces temperatures sufficiently high to burn off any soot in the DPF and keep additional soot from collecting there. Dodge says driving 50 to 60 mph (or higher) on the highway should be enough to trigger passive regeneration. Passive regens do not require additional fuel.

Active regeneration is triggered when the DPF is getting full enough to trigger the sensors. Active regeneration is where additional fuel is injected to raise the exhaust temperature to burn off the soot. This, of course, reduces fuel mileage while it is taking place. However, it should occur only when driving has not provided sufficient passive regeneration to keep the DPF adequately clear.

In other words, if you do a lot of highway driving you may rarely burn additional fuel to clean the DPF. If I understand it correctly. Only time will tell whether normal highway driving will be sufficient to avoid active regeneration.

I still don't know how to tell for sure when active regeneration is taking place. I guess I need to go ahead and get that EGT gauge soon as that seems to be the most obvious way to tell.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: Check with your dealer (realizing you travel a lot) but local dealer is very adament about not adding guages -- they still have an 07.5 on the lot with problem - been sitting on it now for over 2 months because STAR won't agree to warranty work - individual truck owner works for major company locally, drives semi's for them daily,(i.e. does NOT use his truck for work, only recreation and to/from work) and had guages installed; no other aftermarket additions and STAR has disapproved warranty on his engine. Something like 4000 miles is all that is on it. (He has borrowed his brothers truck while his sits!!). Very unhappy owner truck owner
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out. I wonder if he has a problem from an EGT probe breaking off and damaging the engine? I thought the law requires they cover with warranty unless it can be shown the modification is the cause of the problem. However, I also realize it can end up with the owner having to show that the modification did not cause the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I think I read where the 6.7 has a screwed in stud in the exhaust elbow you can remove and use for a EGT probe. It is also very hard to get out.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
It was stated in a past issue of Diesel Power Magazine that you should consider holding on to the older diesel trucks because the new ones would be a pain to put on any type of add ons because of all the additional parts they are adding for low sulfer fuel and emissions. You will never find any after market parts at a dealer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't think it is Turbo related -- started with dash light coming on about needing DPF cleaned (he had been doing a lot of in-town, short trips only for several weeks; no highway at all per service writer). In any case, DPF are backordered but there was also the issue of guages; STAR is 'accusing' him of having chips or somehow adding fuel to the system for more power, hence more soot. But along with that there is now a bullet or something on the STAR system that tells the service writer that engine warranty claims are not to be submitted....????? I stopped by the dealership today and I can't get anymore from service tech, seems that owner has told him he has a 'loose' mouth and to be quiet about these things!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote