Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Tow Vehicle which is best?

Im looking to buy a new truck, but not real sure which is the best truck out there for towing. Im interested in the diesel, 3500, not sure if I should be looking at a dually or not Was just wondering what everyone is driving and how is it performing? Thought maybe a little input from the drivers would be alot better then the input from the salesmen.

Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
CamprNick
Established Member

M.O.C. #7377
We have a 2006 2500 Silverado, diesel with allison transmission. We LOVE our truck (Homer). He does a great job at pulling our Mountaineer.
CamprNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Boy, thats like asking a group of grannys which grandchild is cutest!!

Each owner is gonna endorse their own current brand. My Duramax/Allison serves my needs. When buying my choice was between the Chevy and the Dodge because of reliability issues with the Ford at the time.

Tell you what though, I was looking at the 2008 F250 my friend ordered due to a Ford buy back of his F250 with the crummy Ford engine electronics, and if the premium trimline came in a darker interior instead of that cream color I'd consider one. Search other threads about weight, power, etc. and form your own opinion.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

Boy, thats like asking a group of grannys which grandchild is cutest!!

Each owner is gonna endorse their own current brand. My Duramax/Allison serves my needs. When buying my choice was between the Chevy and the Dodge because of reliability issues with the Ford at the time.

Tell you what though, I was looking at the 2008 F250 my friend ordered due to a Ford buy back of his F250 with the crummy Ford engine electronics, and if the premium trimline came in a darker interior instead of that cream color I'd consider one. Search other threads about weight, power, etc. and form your own opinion.
This says it all, in a nutshell.

People own what they think is the best and will pass that opinion along to others. I would say that either the Chev or Dodge will give you a great truck. Asking for opinions on a 3500 indicates a lack of interest in Fords but as a Ford owner I would naturally tell you it is a great truck too. I would be concerned with matching the proper truck to the 5er you will tow and watch for the listed weight restrictions. While "weight police" seems to indicate a negative in the minds of some, those so labeled are usually trying to observe the rules laid out by the manufacturers. Those weight restrictions are critical when matching TV and 5er. They aren't suggestions, they don't have tolerance allowances. They are what they are. Matching TV and 5er is in my view more important than deciding which brand to buy.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Start with deciding what you are going to tow and then narrow your TV choices down to what has the ratings to support your choice. You may be foreced into a dually, you may be able to get by with a SRW. No one can really give you a complete answer without knowing what you plan on towing.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
As long as its a Dodge, Chevy or Ford DIESEL for sure you`ll be just fine. Don`t buy any of that over hyped Asian/Japanese scrap!!.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I am not going to endorse my own brand. My truck meets my needs pulling my camper.Suggest that you do your homework, there is plenty of GOOD information on the forum..It is a good idea to stay within ALL weight spec's..Do not forget about pin weight.If you do the proper research the correct choice will be obvious.As for not buying any of that Asian/japanese scrap..good plan but you may have to give up Rv'ing because all of the trucks and campers have that stuff in them. And do not forget about Canada..That is, as you may be aware, a foreign country. Seriously.. This is a great place to gather valuable information..Do not let the opinions of others determine what you purchase..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321

Code:
This is our tow vehicle. Does a great job, I guess.
1luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Nice truck but I think going through the ATM in it sucks
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We are relative newbies, so can't say long term how it will do, but so far we love our 2008 Ford F350, 6.4 Diesel,Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4 x 4, Dually. It's a little unwieldy in tight parking lots, (and takes up 4 spaces, so no parking near the entrances to stores) but it's actually our vehicle of choice even for runs into town. We have a fairly big 5er though, Big Sky 340, and needed that much truck to be sure we were within weight limits. Only thing we're still not too sure on is whether or not we should have opted for the 4 X 4 (adds weight and lessens towing capacity), but we've gotten stuck often enough out in the country that we chose it.

As the others have stated, decide what you are going to pull and then decide how much truck you need, to pull it, and then go from there. Happy RVing. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like previously stated Each owner is gonna endorse their own current brand and I am no different.

We started out with an 03 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. Today we have an 05 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax. WE just drug our 3485SA across the U.S. from northern NY to Oregon and the TV performed flawlessly.
I definitely recommend the GM Duramax line up. If I were to make any changes I might move up to a 3500 with the Duramax but I would stay with an SRW. IMHO the dually makes little difference with stability and because of the dual wheels it is harder to park in the average parking lot when not towing. The addition of the dual wheels also becomes more expensive when it comes time to rotate the tires and you'll be buying 6 tires at time of replacement rather than just 4.
I also strongly recommend a 4X4. In our current cross country trip I had to use 4WD at least 4 times and 2 of those required 4WD Low Range. YES, if you do get stuck with a 2WD you can always wait for someone to pull you out. That in it self could require hours of waiting.

To sum up, Everything posted before this reply and after will be just like my reply...
Each owner is gonna endorse their own current brand. It is their "OPINION" no more no less.
In the end only you know the final answer to this question. You must go with what ever you feel most comfortable with. I hope it's a GM but the Fords and Dodges will do the job as "nearly" as well.

Again, it's just My Humble Opinion. Humble? No one ever accused me of being HUMBLE.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think what you will learn here is that as long as you meet your towing specifications - you CAN NOT make the wrong choice!! All of the big three are performing well, with even better performance from the 2008 models.

Be selfish - pick by color, looks, comfort, $$$!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
You didn't mention price as a factor but we got a good deal in March on a new 2006 (manufactured in June, 2006) Dodge 3500 SLT crew cab, 4x2, SRW, short bed. Granted it is a basic TV but but it pulls our 2007 Montana 3475RL within all limits, both truck and trailer. Sticker was about $42K and the sale price on the contract was just under $30K. I went to dealer in a small town to get this deal after doing a Google search for what I wanted. Even after adding almost $4K in accessories (hitch, bed liner, tool box, nerf bars, etc.) we were still under $35K, ready to tow. I have gotten as good as 17 mpg on Phoenix freeways and surface streets. After 4 trips (about 800 miles) with the Monty in tow (including some mountainous country) we average between 11 and 12 mpg (high 13, low 9). That's with less than 5K on the Cummins. Everyone tells me these numbers will get better (possibly 2 mpg) as the engine breaks in over the next 5k or so. As for engines, Cummins seems to get the nod of the Big 3 and the Allison tranny (Chev./GMC) takes the cake. Ford is best in towing and payload capacities. Just some of my informed observations, some may think differently but that's what makes the world go round. Good luck!
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Start with deciding what you are going to tow and then narrow your TV choices down to what has the ratings to support your choice. You may be foreced into a dually, you may be able to get by with a SRW. No one can really give you a complete answer without knowing what you plan on towing.

Bill
I have actually been looking at a Ford 350, nice truck , has alot of nice features. I currently own a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins and pull a 2003 Montana 29RL total length 34 ft. I know I am overladen thats why Im looking for new TV. And am wanting something that can tow something bigger if we decide to upgrade to a larger 5ver in the future. Ive been a Dodge fan because of the cummins , but Im just not sure about the rest of the truck. They just havent upgraded on anything. Never owned a Ford before, not sure of its reliability. Guess thats why Im asking you Ford owners what you think of it.
Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Quote:
quote:
Never owned a Ford before, not sure of its reliability. Guess thats why I'm asking you Ford owners what you think of it.
The last two I've owned have worked pretty well, one was a 1999 and this one is a 2005 both were 4x4s. just regular maintenances. Front end ball joints
on the 99, were the only (larger cost). The 7.3 was great and so far the 6L has worked great. just did a 4 week trip, with no problems.
the highest mileage was 658 KMs on a 105 liters of diesel.
" thats 411 miles on 28 US gallons of fuel (in English).
Love the tow/haul transmission in the 2005.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can check out this website....http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php. The new Fords seem to be doing well. As been, said all three are making good trucks and will handle your Montana.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Here's another humble opinion.

DODGE
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
AS my Dad used to say, "a 4X4 will get you stuck further from help!" Have always had a two wheel drive and probably have towed our 5Ws a total of 250,000 miles or so without trouble. Had duallies before, but enjoy the maneuverability of just two rear wheel, plus it saves us toll fees in Mexico. Feels just as stable to me as the dually. Did have asome flat tires where I could drive to help with the dually, but just get roadside service--my back's too old to change tires now anyway.

Do love the Duramax. All the power to tow any Montana, it is quiet and just got 19.6 mph cruising around the countryside today. Usually get about 11 mph towing. Also loved my '99 F350 crewcab dually.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I've had both 3/4 1 ton and would diffently go with the 1 ton no matter what brand you choose. The 1 ton is much more stabile and the payload is better and that amounts to not being so close or even over weight.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The answers so far are pretty subjective, and by the way, my great-grandson is the cutest! Seriously, I have a Ford, wanted a Dodge when I bought the Ford. Dodge dealer didn't know much about trucks! Still lean toward the Dodge but my Ford does very well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote