Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #21
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I think Rich means Passport America. 1/2 price. We look for those too.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #22
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Chuck & Carol ... yesterday was a tough day at the eye doctor for a lot of folks. My vision is still correctable to 20/20 in my "good" eye but I was advised by my eye doc yesterday that I am developing a cataract in the eye and will require surgery within one or two years. I guess it beats the alternative but getting old is a bummer!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That should have said P.A C.G's Passport America campgrounds
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are home again after our summer adventure.5K miles and 40 days.. The places we have been..The sights we have seen..For all of you not yet to the Longtimer or full timer point.. Hang in there, Work hard, Plan carefully..It is worth it.
Helen and I will be sitting down and re evaluating our travel plans in light of the changing economy..We can not afford to spend at this level any longer.We have a Idea or two...Just another bump in the road..
Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #25
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Boy, for the first time I believe we do not have the highest fuel prices in the country. Our diesel was as low as $2.71 the last time Roy fueled the truck and we just got regular in our car for $2.99 but saw it at $2.89 the same day. Our campground fees are lower here in Oregon, as well. We know when we finally get to head east we will pay more for campgrounds and will have to do our homework to stay in budget.

Over the last year our finances have become an issue and unless our historical town with all its requirements lets us subdivide our property, we will be faced with the decision of giving up our RV travel dreams or becoming full timers and give up the stick house. With the health insurance issues (cost) before Medicare and no increase in income, there has to be an adjustment in the future we had planned, which included maintaining our home and traveling a few times a year.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #26
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
We lived in England several years ago and when we left in late 2005, we were paying the equivalent of almost $7.00 a gallon. It's since gone higher. We're hoping to RV in England and the continent in a couple of years, but may not depending on our weak dollar especially over there.
Wouldn't it be great if we could get gas prices back down to even $2.50 a gallon?
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fuel prices in Europe are out of sight to us..However you do not see many 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks pulling campers, if any at all. Most of the cars are tinker toys that get very high MPG and folks ride a lot of bikes and trains over there. We In North America do not live that way.Had family come over from Scotland and they could not believe the monster cars and trucks, huge homes, number of Malls.Had never seen anything like the 3400 and could not believe its size.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think we'd be doing as much traveling if we still had a stick home with a mortgage. We find our overall costs, without the stick home, are about the same as when we lived in a stick home and only used the RV for weekends and vacations. However, that also means our general lifestyle, the nontraveling part, is similar to when we lived in a stick home. It will be very difficult for those trying to maintain the stick home, too. But that's the choice each needs to make for themselves.

Carol, we still use our same doctors although when we need a doctor on the road we would naturally not be able to do that. We swing back through our "home area" twice per year and that's when we do our annual checkups, etc. Anything else we need in the way of medical care that does not require immediate attention we schedule with our doctor for next time we are in the area.

We also have the same bank we used to have. They provide postage paid envelopes for deposits and our checking is free and interest bearing (miniscule percentage).

But giving up the stick home is not for everybody and the fuel prices are making it difficult for many, including those of us without a stick home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #29
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We are among those who can't give up our stick home (it is paid for, however). Just bought a new 3600RE and hope to be able to enjoy it a lot, but we have modified our travel plans. Have decided to see more of Oregon and forays into surrounding states within reasonable driving distance/time; and do one major trip of a month+ in spring or fall. We're like you, Rich, will not stay in Walmart parking lots or at truck stops. Staying longer in one place and eating out less saves $$$$$$$$$ too. I think we're all faced with having to save money any way we can - coupons, shopping sales, comparing prices, without sacrificing our standard of living. The thing that really torques my screws is the fact that fuel prices are all over the map - one of the grocery/department stores with a fuel stop sells diesel for less that $2.70 per gallon, plus you get a discount with their convenience card and spending $$ in their store - the prices just go up from there - our local stations are at $2.85 for diesel. And I sure get tired of hearing some of the oil companies crying the blues and then reporting HUGE profits.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we made some changes. We will not go to Apache junction, Az 2005 miles but to Orlando, Fla 1048 Miles. With the help of The Dspriks we will stay at their RV park, 100.00 per month + less money. I will drive a bus at Disney and Helen will do something. This is not what we had in mind . Work was the last resort and this is the last resort. Yes we could sell the stick house and travel off the Equity for a long time...That was never in our plans and is not now. We could have NOT spent about 100K for truck Camper and all related items and did a lot of traveling with that money..That was never in our plans..We chose the RV lifestyle and will stay with it. The cost to keep our stick home is about 1K per month..remember this is Ohio not California or some other out of this world market. That was always in our plan and will remain.
It is not just fuel prices...The cost of energy affects every single thing we buy or use. Oil is heading toward 80.00 per barrel..that will slow a lot of folks down..Oh and the thought of a shinny new Diesel truck is history.. That hurts.

We will "endeavor to perceiver" (from little big man)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll bet you will see an huge jump in Workampers. Disney is not a bad deal at all. No free camping, but FREE Disney 24/7. Discounts on resturaunts - both in and out of the property. Discounts on property lodging for family members. Discounts on other attractions like 1/2 off tickets to Dolly Parton's Stampede, etc. Much more... Discounts on shopping available to Disney employees only (and guest).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #32
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I have found that maybe stopping to explore would be the best and most reasonable way. If you are going to a specific area mix in a few boondocking stops, as it off sets the price per gallon. That 20.00 bucks for a night into 40 gals. of fuel gives you a .50 cents per gallon savings. A couple of weeks ago when we broke down because of a defective water pump just stayed at the dealer parking lot not our original plan but OK had too. Not that bad after all these rigs do have 12 volt systems water and waste tanks because they were designed for camping. This can be a major savings when one is traveling to a specific area.

Mix in the time of year you go. Summer the prices always seem to go up because of the demand for fuel with famlies traveling when kids are out of school. Case in point, after living in the Black Hills of SD for 20+ years you knew to fill the tank just before schools got out. The price always goes up 10-15 cents a gallon only to fall again when school starts. I have found that spending a little more time in an area one gets to see the things that only the locals know about. When people would visit us in the Black Hills I would take them out on 2 different tours which included the touristy and my so called backwoods tour. Most found the backwoods tour was the highlight of their trip not to mention was usually half the cost. Cramming to many miles in a short time is costly in many ways, the pocket book and really seeing an area for what it is.

Maybe planning shorter exploritory trips staying in an area for a month instead of a few days. Howard and Linda of rv-dreams.com have done this very well even though they full time. They show their budget every month and have been a very good resource when it comes to the money management of it all. I believe that what they have done can be adapted to a longtimers budgeting. I also believe that long timers could use the ideas that fulltimers use to their advantage still being able to live their dreams for retirement.

Another point to think about is wear and tear on your equipment. The more miles one packs in the more things need to be tended too. All of these expenses that can be used for better things, relaxing and enjoying your retirement.

Rich you are a very inteligent guy and you will figure out the way to live your Monty dreams. Please don't let this learning experience ruin that dream. You and Helen can still do it!
After reading your last few posts I tend to believe you already have and are back on your way..........

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tom Gina06.. Excellent post and all very good ways to travel cost effective..Execpt for the boom docking part..we just don't do that.We usually stay in one area for at least a week to cover all the points of interest. We try to use Passport America or other discount C.G's (good sam, AARP, ect)We got the America The Beautiful Senior pass in June and it paid for itself the day we got it and has paid for itself 5 times over since then. We also visit the Visitors bureau in the local area as they always have discount coupons for local attractions(we were once on the board of our local visitors bureau) In fact I am looking foward to bus driving at Disney..That will be a "great adventure". This is just a "how goes it evaluation" It is a normal thing and we will still be on the road and the adventure will continue.

For those planning forward, we used every device to plan ahead, Financial planners, Cost of Living estimators, Etc. However no one saw 73.00 per barrel oil on the horizon with 80.00 in sight. This is jut a normal 'how goes it" and re evaluation for us.It is a normal thing a bump in the road..We will adjust.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #34
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Rich, you always have such a positive attitude. I have no doubt your tenacity and resourcefulness will carry you through your dreams and goals of life on the road. The most important considerations are still there; you two are together, healthy, and happy!
Good luck!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #35
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Rich, just be thankful the truck runs on gas, if your truck ran on “Milk” it would now cost you $ 6.35 for two gallons at our local Costco today, want a crap just another way to stick it to the “Worker, and Retired”!!!!
Now let’s start on bottled water……..Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Sorry to bring this into the fuel price thread but dairy and cereal prices are on the rise due to the GLOBAL WARMING crowd. Corn is going to Ethanol plants instead of the Fritos and cheese factories even though Ethanol has yet to be proven to be greener than good ole gasoline.

Look for ice cream, pizza, snacks to be on the rise. Mexico is in such short supply of corn for the national staple - tortillas - that the country is near uprising. Brought to you by the same guys who removed inexpensive R-12 from your air conditioner and paper bags from your grocery store even though petroleum-based plastic bags are worse for the landfill environment. Next they'll be going after "BIG DIESEL" again with Ultra Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel so watch out!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #36
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Rich
Around here they are talking alot about reverse mortages on houses for people that have some equity in there homes and want to keep them. Gives you some extra income and you never lose the house. Don't know what you might have there but it might be worth checking into. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #37
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Rich, your modified winter plans make sense and actually sound like a fun and interesting way to go. When I lived in LA I was all set to apply for a job at Disney, but plans got changed. Life has no guarantees. All we can do is the best we can do and try to adapt to the changing situations. It's a creative bunch here on the MOC and I'm sure there'll be more inventive ideas forthcoming.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes a re evaluation can be a very good thing. With the help of Dave and Cheryl Sprik (DSPRIK) we will be wintering in Florida. They managed to get us a fine site just a couple of doors down from them at Mouse Mountain Rv Resort (I love that name) In Davenport , Fla. We will all be doing something at Disney. I am negotiating for a Bus driver position of some sort.( I am very picky) Helen is investigating leads Cheryl provided. The C.G rate is much less than Az, The trip is half the distance and we will be part timing to reduce expenses not to mention a lot of Disney freebees..We are excited about the winter and the Great Adventure continues. It is good to have MOC friends all over the country.....Thank you Dave a Cheryl. Can't wait to see what kind of job Dave will get...As big and intimidating he is..Enforcer..would be good...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #39
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My theory is if I can spend the money for one of these rigs, then I don't want to have it sitting in the yard just to look at. It reminds me of when I bought a '75 Impala station wagon new and went to the gas station to fill up. The attendant (full service) said, "You're sure going to be sorry that you bought this when the price of gas goes to $1.00." Well, when I bought my rig in 2000, I knew that fuel prices were probably going up. But like Glenn says, I'm not going to let the fuel prices dictate where I go with my rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

..Enforcer..would be good...
Does that pay good??? Probably depends on what I am enforcing...

Orv, I agree 100% with your philosophy. We should get bumper stickers made up...

If diesel was $.50/gal I would be doing exactly what I am doing in the winter now - playing around in Disney for FREE all winter. It is exactly what I want to do. I don't mind working 2 days a week to get these incredible perks. They even give you some money as a side benefit...

75-82 degrees, in the pool in January, tons of discounted retail shopping, dining - both in and out of Disney, discounts up to 40-50% off of lodging on property (although the veranda balcony view of Animal Kingdom Lodge overlooking the giraffes, wildebeasts, zebras, etc in a natural setting is still $250/night AFTER the 50% off price). Discounts at other attractions - Dolly Parton's Stampede in Orlando is 1/2 for Disney employees. And the list goes on.

There are other places I want to get to (going to Badlands/Black Hills, then Saskatchewan this fall before the Rally). But the price of diesel will not be my major determining factor either.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote