Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Low Trees

I have a new awareness for height with our new 13'-3" upper deck, and have learned to "look up" much more than I ever did before.

I may be getting paranoid - but I seem to be dodging trees more than anything else. The overgrowth hanging into the roads is incredible, even in our own town. I find myself avoiding the right lane whenever possible. The other day I was coming from Taos to Denver in a rental car through a beautiful mountain pass (Eagle Nest - Cimmaron). Campgrounds everywhere. But - when I looked up I began to wonder if I could even get over the pass with the Monty because of the trees.

Is this an over-reaction on my part - or is it just a new driving habit I need to get used to? Has anyone actually had damage to the unit from tree branches or even overhead wiring while traveling through town on a road you wouldn't normally give a second thought to?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
No it is not Brad. Were all looking more at the heights of the trees as these Montanas become higher. We have a satellite dome on top and it measures 13' 4". Have had to go around other routes as the bridges on some roads read less than that in the AITA bridge listing.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We're real conscious of overhead stuff but I feel that if an 18 wheeler can get through without touching so can I. We're only about 12' 9" though.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Thanks Brad for bringing up a very good subject and this could help save someone from a very bad day. Max legal height for 18 wheelers is 13' 6" unless flagged as oversized load I believe so with that we are getting close.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I broke one of the vent covers before I even got mine home for the first time. Sometimes you don't have much choice as to where you can and cannot go.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, we think of it all the time. Here at home, I had to put a 8' step ladder in back of my old truck and trim the neighbor's tree that hangs over our road.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That kind of awareness will keep you out of trouble.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
This topic makes us laugh at ourselves. We live in the middle of a corn/bean field in central IL. We have a long u shaped driveway. We have planted over 200 trees (all around the property and drive etc.)since we moved in here (18 years ago) and wanted to have trees line the driveway to arch over the drive. Well, we got what we wanted and NOW, this spring have spent many hours and sore muscles cutting those trees back DRASTICALLY to be sure we have clearance for the Big Sky. But, yes, we too are looking up and noticing clearance heights as we travel around. Verle even gets concerned about bushes and trees brushing the side of the truck. Funny how priorities change over time. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
Just had a new roof put on a 3 month old 3475. The tree branch snaged the side of roof at the radius. $6000 to fix. I am real aware of the 13' 3".
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Brad, our first trip with the Montana was over that very route. Cimmaron to Eagles Nest, then to Red River and Questa. It got dark about the time we got to Cimmaron, which might explain why I didn't notice how low some of the tree branches were. The trip back home was a different story though, as I found myself crossing the yellow lines ocasionally, to avoid overhead obstacles, lol. I don't know that any of them would have hit the top, but they sure looked like they would.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I lost a drain vent cover just the other day, and didnt even realize when it happen. so yea Brad even with mine only 12ft 9" I catch myself ducking!! LOL , pulled into a campground other day and seen some low hanging limbs, and I just could not talk Nancy in climbing up on top to hold them outta the way!! just kidding ya know!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well thanks all for the feedback - Guess I'm justified in being cautious (especially looking at a $6K repair! yikes). I'm just going to have to plan the road ahead a little better and make sure I have an escape towards the center of the road to avoid the trees when I need to.

Lonnie - some of those cut off branches on Cimmaron were big enough to rip the siding right off the trailer, along with the windows and awnings . Have you ever camped there on the east side? Looks like some big rigs in there at the state park.

Sue - good story. I imagine there are a lot of beautiful, well planned trees that get cut down to get the new RV parked.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I've never camped there Brad, but have noticed it is a very nice campground, and I too have seen some very large rigs there. Several years ago, we intended to stay there but it was full, so we went on through Eagles Nest, and Angel Fire toward Mora, and wound up at Coyote Creek Campground. This is a really nice campground, and a beautifull drive, but WARNING, the Montana won't fit the road or the campground.

Our favorite place is a primitive campground (no hookups), about 4 miles up Cabresto Canyon from Questa, on the creek.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Sometimes luck is better than skill.

Drove through a campground near Knoxville Tn. after arriving there about dusk. Lots of trees hanging over the road, but didn't have a choice but to continue on once I was on the loop. I was VERY lucky. Had some rub marks on the rubber roof but didn't do any permanent damage. Could have easily been otherwise.

I really, really, really don't like getting to a camping spot after dark. Too easy to make the big mistake because of poor visibility.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #15
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
This is sure a real issue for us. We are 13'6" to the tip of our CB antennae and if they pass through, we are good but I to have bumped trees with the stacks and moved to the center of the road many times. Being observant and maybe a little paranoid saves money and headaches.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You are behaving just as you should. Never take for granted that an unmarked bridge is high enough for you and tree limbs are no different. Down in Clearwater Florida there is a huge canopy of trees. Coming up on it resembles entering a tunnel. This tree tunnel is a good 2 city blocks long. I once commented to Lorraine there is no way I would ever drag our Monty thru there. That is until I followed an 18 wheeler with a 13'6" box thru the tunnel. He never even slowed down and as he passed thru it was obvious he had room to spare. He apparently went thru that tree tunnel before.
One great indicator that the trees are in fact too low is to look for scars on the limbs, evidence that someone wasn't paying attention but still you don't take clearance for granted. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've not damaged anything on top yet but I'm paranoid about the height and watch very carefully. Especially trees and service station canopies. I've had to back out a couple of times. Like you, Brad, I avoid the right lane when passing through town on city streets as much as I can.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You're not the only one Brad, your concern is valid. We figured we're 13'2" at the front AC unit. Trees at state parks and COE parks and secondary roads are brushing our roof, one has snagged the rubber to a point I placed some DiCor on the tiny punctures.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Been there done that. I snagged the upper corner of the fiberglass nose on a tree last year in the camp ground in Florida. No major damage I was not moving too fast. Thank God for a good spotter (my wife). She stopped me before any damge could be done.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Totally understand NOW...Just went out on our shakedown trip, wanted to stay out of the heat so went to mountains! Checked in to CG, followed route check-in staff gave us and now I am looking at a new vent cover and having to have the roof repaired where a nice cedar tree limb gave us a 2"tear. Oh well, always a learning experience. Wondering how much longer before they start putting fiberglass roofs on the higher end 5er's. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote