Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Fuel tank

Maybe it's not new but it is to me. Titan tanks make a plastic replacement tank of the same material that is factory installed for the short bed 2500HD that holds 52 gal. The price is around 800.00 for the tank and 90.00 shipping. Easy to install and lighter than the steel tank.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Sounds pretty pricey to me. My factory tank holds 32 gallons, way more than I can burn before I need a break, and it would mean added weight, of which I already have plenty. JMO, but I would rather spend my money on something more suited to my needs.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I'd like to get a Flow Transfer inbed toolbox/fuel tank.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. Our OEM fuel tank holds @ 40 gals, add 52 gals =@ 92 Gals..could run @ 16 hours and 920 miles or more before we had to stop. Unfortunatly we would have wet ourseves several times before that and Helen would have passed out from lack of Food intake and I don't think the three of us, Me,Helen,Bird, could stand being in the truck together for that long of a time so we will pass on the extra fuel tank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I think if I am correct Chevy/GMC short bed have 25 Gal and long bed have 34 Gal
One of the reasons I have a 8 ft bed
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
There has been a lot said about after market fuel tanks. That said, we have a transfer flow 45 gal tank installed on our 05 GMC short bed truck. it replaced the 25 gal tank that came with it. And yes, a plastic tank would have been easier to install. The transfer flow was designed just for our truck with the proper angles to be installed easy. We used our old fuel gage on the new tank. So far we are very pleased with the addition. And yes, we stop more often than we need fuel. I figure we can make over 400 miles on a tank now with several pit stops. I have seen no change or sag in the rear with the extra weight. I usually don't fill the tank all the way up unless were going to travel with the Montana.
The tank is peace of mind. One sunday traveling with our old F-350, on state roads, when we fianally found a station, it took 37 gal, one gal short of being out of fuel and late at nite. 45 gal plus another 5 gal in the storage box makes me feel a lot better.
Be sure the plastic tank has all of the right angles for installation. On the GMC, there is an exterior trans cooler that the tank has to go around. The price is about the same as I paid for the transfer Flow.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ken, That is why I have one. After driving with the low fuel light on and putting 26 gallons in a 26 gallon tank. I said to myself, "that won't happen again". If you are always on main highways that probably won't happen to you.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Lots of theory's on extra fuel tanks
I have the Aero Tank tool box with a 60 gal fuel tank under it.
My 05 3500 Duramax has a 35 gal stock tank and I agree when that is empty it is way past time for a break, however that said it is nice to have the extra so one can keep his eye out for a little better price, or just don't have to fuel on a daily basis.
Works great for me?
Dee
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am having a Transfer-Flow 45 Gal OEM tank installed week after next. I am a first time traveler and I don't want to be sucking fumes with my stock 26 gal tank. As I have not pulled my 3400 yet, I have no idea what my gas mileage will be so am going to start on the safe side. Just because we have it doesn't mean we need to fill it at every stop, but until I get some history, better safe than sorry...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I got information from Transfer flow, was pretty impressed with their product. I hate the small 26 gallon tank of the GM shortbed, my only dislike on the truck.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I guess I probably overdid it, but I added a 116 gallon tank in the bed, giving me 151 gallons total. We still make frequent rest stops, but we aren't limited to gas stations (which I hate). It does give me the option of buying fuel when I find a good price. I have a range towing of over 1,500 miles with reserve. Nice when traveling through some of these high fuel cost areas like the Northwestern US and Canada.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Sounds pretty pricey to me. My factory tank holds 32 gallons, way more than I can burn before I need a break, and it would mean added weight, of which I already have plenty. JMO, but I would rather spend my money on something more suited to my needs.
Lonnie, Once again we agree. I only have a 26 gallon tank and on an occasion I may have needed that extra fuel but very rarely does it happen. I start with a full tank and when it needs to be refilled I also need a break and like you I can find a whole lot better use for the bucks and I surely don't need the extra weight.

For bobgay...Do you realize with 151 gallons of fuel on board your are carrying over a 1/2 ton of additional weight. Additional weight that few of us can afford to be hauling around.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If you travel in remote areas, you need a longer range than your factory tank gives you. No ifs, buts or whys. The only time I ever get nervous pulling an RV is when you get low on fuel and you are not sure where the next open station is. In Canada , smaller town stations don't stay open 24 hours and that is why I buy my fuel at commercial cardlocks, always open, always fresh fuel.
The distance between most Cardlocks can be around 500 miles and for that I have my extra 50 gal combination fuel tank/toolbox. I have an 05 SRW Ford F350 with a 11200 GVWR so I can fill her up and still be legal with the weight police.

I filled at cardlocks when I had my diesels, still use them for my gas truck.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
One of the reasons we purchased the long bed truck was to have the larger fuel tank. When it is empty, we are ready to stop for the day. We almost always set up camp and then go refuel. Saves having to try and find a station the Monty will fit. 200-250 miles per day is our standard. Sometimes we push it to 300 if it is Interstates.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Extra fuel is not just an advantage when pulling 'tana'; several years ago went to visit in-laws during Christmas Holiday period(empty, no 5er in tow); Hw 54 from Liberal to Tucumcari started sunny and dry (weather said possible snow flurries late that night!!!) and by the time we got to Tucumcari, following 18 wheelers, we were driving 20mph in driving snow; everything from Texoma and Stratford TX to NM was closed down; got to Tucumcari, I-40 closed; all hotels filled solid, had to back-track 30 miles to Nara Vista to find a room for the night. Needless to say, I was sweating profusely (bullets I think the cliche is) when I filled the following morning -- 37 gal in a 36 gallon tank on Ford F350 SRW. Wife was not happy with me at all because I said we didn't need the extra 5 gallon container I normally carry when towing; HA -- so, extra fuel is a blessing not only when you tow but also for inclemental weather. I've seen traffic delays of hours while waiting for roads to be cleared of accidents (or detours of hundred miles for same reasons in the Southwestern states); weather delays; etc... But again, I ramble. Guess, if the wallet (and vehicle) can support it; then get it; either way, plan accordingly. Safe travels to all during this holiday season!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #16
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
My trans-flow is on order now and I'm looking forward to having it installed.I have a 8ft bed with a 35 gallon factory tank and a diesel engine,this will give me 85 gallons to pick and choose when I want to fuel up,which will probable be without the camper making it all the more easier.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you are going to get or have got the extra tank anything will justify having it ..It you don't have one or don't want one anything will justify not having it.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rich, I think you nailed it. The only times I would've like to have had the bigger tank was when we ran across some fuel that was a lot lower in price. Other than that, when one tank runs out I still have 18 gallons left and I can start looking. By this time I've been on the road for 3 1/2 hours and it's time for a break anyway. I worry when people talk about driving 700-800 miles a day empty, let alone pulling a fifth wheel!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 AM   #19
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Glenn, I am aware of the extra weight, but I am within limits. That's one reason we decided to get DRH. I remember years ago my flight instructor told me "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire".
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:46 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is the same story with everything we personally want or get on our Tv's, Guages, Fuel tanks, Dually's, Running boards.If we want it we are going to buy it and it makes perfect sense to us and we don't much care about what the other guy thinks.That would be because we are all individuals with individual needs and want's...and that is a very good thing. On this forum, unlike others we are able to express our individual opinions..and that is a good thing..I for one, even tho I may not agree with what other do or want I learn from their experiences...and that is a good thing.