Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
How safe are plastic Jerry Cans.

I want to get some opinions on how safe it would be to carry four plastic cans of gasoline in my trucks aluminum tool box that is at the front of my pick up box. I would only leave them full while travelling to increase my range in a few areas I go that don't have a commercial fueling cardlock I like to use.

When set up I would empty them into the truck tank and not fill them until my next tow.

I did this for years with my diesels and when we pulled into a rest area, I would top up my tank while the wife made lunch. I enjoy the exercice and this is sure a lot cheaper than an auxiliary tank.
I realize that diesel is a much safer fuel than gasoline.
What do you folks think about this? Please be frank as I want real world opinions. Thanks again, Don.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
The concern I would have would be about the gasoline vapors accumulating in an unvented truck box. I am of the opinion that gasoline vapor in the right (or, more properly, wrong) combination can be pretty hazardous. I would be reluctant to try the approach you are suggesting.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I agree with Harmon. My Weatherguard chest specifically says not to put gasoline containers in it. We are talking gasoline here and not diesel, right?

How big are the cans?

If you still decide to use them I would suggest keeping them in the open air and empty as long as posible, fill them at the last place your card will work, and pour them into the truck as soon as there is enough space in the tank. Under the right conditions one gallon of gasoline has the explosive force of 14-20 sticks of dynamite. Gasoline can produce vapors than can ignite at all temperatures, even at -45F. So the question becomes; How much will you save versus how much could you lose?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks, I think you guys are right and I think this was the kind of advice I was hoping for.

I think I will just spring for the auxillary tank to be on the safe side. Gasoline vapors are nothing to take a chance with. Thanks again, Don.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds like great advice to me. Gasoline vapors are so unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
If you are going to do this, let me know where you are traveling because I want to be far away. I saw several trailers burn up when I was working in the Palm Springs area (very windy). I sure don't want to be near as they go fast.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I want to get some opinions on how safe it would be to carry four plastic cans of gasoline in my trucks aluminum tool box that is at the front of my pick up box.
I am comfortable transporting gas in these cans. http://www.davidsonproducts.com/gastransit.htm I've used them for the past couple years with no issue. It took a long time to find a can that I feel comfortable with regards to venting and durability. I would prefer to not travel with gas but since we boondock about 90% of the time this is just not an option. I don't know anything about Weatherguard chests.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am going to play safe and not do this. I wanted to get some opinions and You guys have convinced me to go to a DOT approved auxilliary tank and leave the Jerry cans at home ....empty. Thanks, Don.