Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Passport America??

I have seen many of you folks talking about getting really good rates with your Passport America membership. My question is how do you join? Is there a minimum age? (found I dont qualify for a few) I got Good Sam info in the mail to join 3 yrs was $48 or so, thought maybe on that one, I hope to be on the road more this coming summer. Are there any other memberships anyone would recommend, please feel free to let me know. Thanks for the input!

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Go to Passport America and join. It's as simple as that. There are no age limits or other than the $44.00 membership dues there are no other requirements. I have been a member for years and got have gotten my dues back within the first month of use.

If you do join, please, use enter the following CW335639 as the Referring Member's Number. By using that number I will get a $10.00 discount on my next years dues.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We went crazy joining RV clubs and now is the time to weed them out. I have looked at Passport America and like what I see. But who do I drop??? We belong to Good Sam (never used it), Escapees (never used it and don't really understand it)and Happy Campers. Those who offer 10% off we can get with AAA or AARP. We like Happy Campers because they offer 50% off. Got our money back twice over in 2005. Now Camping World also offers a discount club. Maybe there's too many choices for us

Carol

Glenn --- would you get another $10.00 if two people used your membership number????
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A good deal for the money.Some of the rv parks are not the gratest. That said some are really nice. Some of the presrrictions

A good deal for the money.Some parks are really good, others are not.
Some parks discount restrictions wont let you use your discount on weekends.Check out the website above and get into some of the parks and check for restrictions.One good thing is you wont get any sales brochures from passport america. I think good sam sends out one a week trying to get you to buy into something else,life ins,health ins, car ins, etc. Good luck and happy camping.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We have found passport to be a great value, especially when traveling and staying for just one night. We are presently in Van Horn, Tx for one night and the price is just $9.00.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Lstier Did you enjoy all the trains last night? I consider Van Horn a one night stand so I can get sleep the next night. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I'd like to echo what Old Turbo has said, some of the parks I would NOT stay at. There is a CG in Door county that must of had a 30% incline grade to get up to it. Passport should check out there recommendation before listing them? But yes you will save money but have a back up plan. You can accumulate the $10.00 discounts off dues. C-367974 See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:26 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good morning Dave.

I know Steve R. uses Passport America a lot. He tries to route his trip so they can stay at their parks but we decided not to re-new ours this year. We used it enough to get our money back last year but that was by accident. Most of their parks are out of the way for us or have too many restrictions on when you can use the discount. On a couple of occasions, we planned on staying and drove out of the way to get there. Only to find out that the Park owners had dropped out. That was not good for my blood pressure when we were tired and hungry.

We also have Good Sam, KOA and Escapees. We use Good Sam's Road Service Plan over AAA now because of their great coverage in Canada. We also like their Highways magazine that comes with the membership and their on line route planning.

We will be dropping KOA this year. Their parks are just getting too expensive for us fulltimers. They have great activities for kids etc. but not the things we are looking for.

Escapees is the most expensive but the one that we use the most. $70.00 to join. They have their own parks and co-ops in the south that we stay at a lot. Averages about $10.00 a night. The other parks across the US give a 15% discount. The only draw back for you though is that most of the long term rv'ers in these parks are our age and older. Some are lots older. Some have some pretty cute grandkids visit them though Of course, this is just our opinion.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have passport America..It is not the best..it is not the worst.It has always paid for itself in a couple of campouts and has saved lots of money in the course of a camping year. We should have another Rv club and the one we pick will be dependent on the type of traveling we do and where we go..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have been on few forums on this matter, Passport America, does seem to be the concensus, although, as mentioned, not perfect.

Something else you might want to check on - it's free. Golden Access pass. This is the description off of the National Parks website:

Golden Access Passport
The Golden Access Passport is a free, lifetime admission pass issued to U.S. citizens or persons who permanently reside (are domiciled) in the United States, regardless of age, and who have a medical determination and documentation of blindness or permanent disability. The pass is valid at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites with admission fees.

The Golden Access Passport admits the pass owner and accompanying passengers in a private vehicle*. At parks that charge individual fees, the pass admits the pass owner, spouse, parents, and children. At parks that charge individual fees, the pass admits the pass owner, spouse, parents, and children. The pass also entitles other persons accompanying the owner, such as a care assistant.

The Golden Access Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where use fees are charged, only the pass owner will be given the 50% price reduction. The Passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Golden Access Passports may be obtained only in person and upon proof of eligibility.

Both the Golden Age Passport and Golden Access Passport can only be obtained in person at a federal area (National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites).

While most parks are not full hooks, it is an option for you maybe. It is something that I'm getting. I've already called my nearest Nationa Park (about 45 miles away) and they said to stop by anytime and pick it up. They told me I did not need my doctors letter of disability, because, by law, they said they could not ask that, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'd call and see what they said.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
dsprik BTW Montana Sky is only like 27 or 28. I don't think he will qualify for Golden Age for a few years. Montana Sky we are life members of Good Sam - I think it cost like $200 way back to become a life member. We received the offer after we had been members for several years. I don't know if they still offer it. We use it and when we start fulltiming will join Passport America. I've done a lot of research on RV clubs and they seem to offer the most for the least money. We gave up our AAA membership after 40+ years because we feel Good Sam ERS is so much better for the RV. We do not belong to AARP (don't like their politics) so we don't have that membership. We found some CG give Senior discounts whether you are an AARP member or not. Escapees has a good program but most of their CG are in the south or east. We may consider it for some of the other programs they offer. We like the Highways magazine that Good Sam membership gives you also.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, didn't you mention that you were disabled? If so, then ANY age will qualify (as long as you are over 18), as it says in the description above. I'm 53. If you not disabled, then Sue would be correct. They do have a similar pass called the "Golden Age Passport", which Sue is referring to. This is different from the "Golden Access Pass". Also a good deal, but you do have to be just a touch older. I had thought that you had mentioned that your shoulder had been labeled as disabled? I knew your age.

Also, I believe that at your age, the earlier post that being FT was going to involve camping around a LOT of people my age, and older, will be correct. Just have to make a lot of OLDER friends.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

We went crazy joining RV clubs and now is the time to weed them out. I have looked at Passport America and like what I see. But who do I drop??? We belong to Good Sam (never used it), Escapees (never used it and don't really understand it)and Happy Campers.
Escapees is an RV club that sort of leans toward the serious camper. They have RV parks across the southern parts of the US, about a day's drive apart. Rates are extremely good for members -- full hookups for about $9.00. Good, friendly parks and nice people. Check it out fully and ask a lot of questions and I think you'll come to understand what Escapees is all about.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We've used P/A for quite a while now, and feel we are getting our money's worth. They are definitely not "destination" campgrounds, but are usually fine for an overnighter. Because campgrounds are constantly joining the program or dropping out, the annual directory is not perfect, but they do a pretty good job of keeping their website up to date.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
Have you checked out the definition of disabled for the Golden Access? My understanding was more wheelchair bound. I'll be interested in how you do getting one. I'm partially disabled (have handicpped parking plaque) but my disability is not obvious and doesn't always bother me (only when I've walked a block or two). Let us know.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

We went crazy joining RV clubs and now is the time to weed them out. I have looked at Passport America and like what I see. But who do I drop??? We belong to Good Sam (never used it), Escapees (never used it and don't really understand it)and Happy Campers. Those who offer 10% off we can get with AAA or AARP. We like Happy Campers because they offer 50% off. Got our money back twice over in 2005. Now Camping World also offers a discount club. Maybe there's too many choices for us

Carol

Glenn --- would you get another $10.00 if two people used your membership number????
Absolutely!!

I am also a member of Happy Campers but I will not be renewing. I find that most all Happy Camper cgs are also Passport America. Passport offers a much better catalog of campgrounds and their online listing is a thousand times better than Happy. I also belong to Good Sam for the many other benefits they offer such as their Roadside assisitance program. I dropped my Escapees but will be renewing it again this year. And we also have the Golden Access Passport
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wow,
Thanks for all the great info. To start yes I am still 26, will be turning 27 in March though! I am finding that many parks in these rv membership programs are for folks 55 and older, which means I will be waiting another 28 years. As most of you know I use my coach more as a lake cabin and stay in the same park from mid-April to October, I do try and get out on 3 or 4 trips a year and figured if I could save 40-50% on my nightly campground fees than it would be worth buying the membership.

Glenn,
If I do end up becoming a P/A member I have your number and will use it.

Helen,
It was great to hear from you again, I was catching up on your website last night. I enjoy reading all about your adventures and locations. That is sure one huge Peterbuilt towing the Teton Homes next to you. Sounds like Pam, Smokey, Bill and yourself are having alot of fun down there. Maybe someday I will be able to join in the fun. =)

Dave,
I am still battling with the company on my two shoulder surgeries, it has been over 16 months and still they have not authorized the muscle and rib removal on both shoulders. At this point I would not qualify for the National Park pass, but appreciate the suggestion.

I think at this point I will join the Good Sam program for $36 for 3yrs and see how that treats me. I was hoping to be coming to the MOC ralley in May, but found the family reunion is over 4th of July weekend in Minn. and will be going that way instead. Thanks again for all the great information, I do appreciate it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We usually get back our $39 annual renewal in the first month of the year. In 2004 we got it back the first week of January. This year we used it one night on the way to the Rio Grande Valley and saved $12 that night. We're here for two months and this park does not participate with PA so it will be later before we recoup our membership fee. But we no doubt will in March.

PA is not like Coast to Coast. They do not own any parks. Parks just sign up with PA like they do with Good Sam. In return they are listed in the PA directory and they give the 50% discount. There are usually restrictions. Some parks give the discount for one night only. Some 3 nights. Some a week. Some unlimited or based on availability. Some not on weekends (very few) and some not on race days or other days they usually fill up at full price. They do not rate the parks, they simply allow them to sign up. If they get enough complaints they will drop a park. Last I saw there were over 1200 parks in the directory.

We don't really plan our trip to go to PA parks. Rather, we plan the area we want to stay in. Then I look first to see if PA is in the area. If not, then Escapees. Next is Good Sam. Next we pay full price.

Because they don't rate the parks, when I see one I'm considering I then check the Trailer Life directory for their ratings. Most, but not all, are in there. We've had PA discounts in some pits and in some very, very nice resorts. You have to check it out. For just an overnight stay we're a whole lot less picky than we are for longer stays.

We have never had a problem getting full hookups with the PA discount. We've been in only one park that had a special section for PA members. That was A-AAA RV Park in Newcastle, OK, the one we stayed at on January 2nd of this year, for $12. We had full hookups although we didn't hook up to sewer. It was a decent site, plenty big for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We actually were so tired that night that we did not hear the train. At at KOA we stayed at near Spokane, the train tracks were just a few yard from our Monty for 30 bucks a night. I quess it is all ralative.....
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by foggyb

Hi Lstier Did you enjoy all the trains last night? I consider Van Horn a one night stand so I can get sleep the next night. Dan
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Dan, and others. I know well what you are talking about with the trains in Van Horn, Tx. The truth is, wherever you stay along that stretch of I-10, and I-8 across the southwest you are going to have TRAINS all night long. In Nov. of 2004 we went across there to San Diego and stopped four nights along those two roads and never got away from trains any night. Day driving tells you why, tracks run right along those highways for obvious reasons and during the day there always seems to be trains sitting along the roads, idle. I guess we don't keep the train drivers awake during the day. Those train tracks follow the highway all the way to Plaster City, Ca. where it heads north. Wacot.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote