Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Communications

Are any of you folks using Skype? It is free. It is encrypted. It is internet voice, very clear, easy to download and set up. If you are let me know. You just might get a call from me.

It also has some other paid features, but you are not obligated to use any of them. I have been using Googletalk for sometime, but I believe Skype is clearer and I like the encryption. If you have a camera attached to your computer, that can also be transmitted at the same time. I can buy a internet mini-cam here for about $125 HK. To be able to see and talk to my grand kids from Hong Kong is really pretty delightful. Happy Rving....

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will check it out we use Yahoo messenger with voice/video sound like it does the same thing and the voice and picture are excellent. My sisters and I use the feature all the time to communicate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Rich,

My techy friend has used all three, Yahoo, google talk, and Skype, all over the globe (he travels extensively) and his conclusion is that Skype is the service of choice, not because the others aren't good, but that Skype is better. Since he travels into very politically sensitive environments, the encryption feature is a real plus. By-the-way, the encryption is automatic and the decoding on the other end is too.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was the encryption feature that caught my eye and having worked in that field understand the value. Will check it out today.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our son gave us a new web cam for Christmas so we'll be looking into it. Thanks for the hint, Stiles. It does make the world a little bit smaller, eh?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I used Skype in 2004 while I was deployed to Iraq. Sometimes it worked, mostly it didn't, but then you have to remember I was in the middle of the Iraqi desert. The nice thing about it was that my calls to the US were 4 cents a minute compared to the .25 to .50 cents per minute I paid for the military's phone service. I have no doubt that it has improved since I used it two years ago.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of Skype. Sounds like a fine service.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Over the past year or two I have used MSN (audio, video, and chat), Yahoo (ditto), and now Skype (ditto, ditto). I talk several times every week with a friend in Adelaide, South Australia. With Skype it is better than many land line phone calls right here in the USA. Usually the sound is so clear, it seems we are right in the room together. Granted, we both have broadband connections, but I have also talked with friends who were on dial-up (and from dial-up myself when on the road) and it is still good. I'm glad to have all these programs at hand on my computer, but Skype has become the default for most of my audio conversations.

Recently I also tried out Skype direct to phone connection. The cost per minute is the same across the world or across town (about 2 cents, I think). The audio is no better (maybe not quite as good), but it does give access to friends who do not have computers set up for communication.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote