Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #1
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Insurance

Ok, we are having problems with insurance. We were in Idaho (Tags and Insurance) We now want to use "My Home Address" in South Dakota BUT our Insurance Co. (Allstate) Won't accept there address because they say they want a "Garaged Address" not a PO Box. Will someone with this service please tell me how they get their insurance to recognize the address. Once we get this resolved (Insurance) we will get tags.

Thanks for any help

Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Time to shop for a new insurance carrier?? Maybe you will get a better deal??

By the way, WHAT is a garaged address?? If you have to have a garage to have an address, there are a lot of people with no addresses??? (sorry, black humor strikes again)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
I think what they (insurance co.) mean by a "garaged address" is where you "store" you 5W. My ins. co. (GMAC/Good Sam) ask the same question and since I store mine in a storage yard and not at home that's the address I gave them. Hope that helps... If all else fails call you ins. co. and ask them.
As far as ins. co. costs go I have shopped and GMAC/Good Sam is the cheapest here in CA.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
CountryGuy, Ya, I asked the same question "GARAGED ADDRESS"
and the answer was "We know some snowbirds use mailing services but we would question whether or not your vehicles are actually at that address" There in lies the delema. How to move my insurance without actually living there full time. Maybe it is time for a new agency!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mike,

Do they think you are a SNOWBIRD??? They don't know you are a full timer?? If that is the case, you better check your policies REALLLLLLL good, you need full timer insurance. I would bet that full timer insurance would be in a different thought mode.

Besides, if you are a snowbird, and use a forwarding address, then, they have to know you are not at the "summer" address all year and Montana is NOT parked there. Start making a lot of phone calls, OHHH, this has been discussed here at MOC a few times, search the archives (front page, right side of page).

That attitude would make me start looking real hard for a new agency. Maybe this "My Home Address" agency can give you some ideas of who to call.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As full timers our Montana is insured with Mendota Insurance
According to our Allstate agent which the TV is insured by they DO NOT carry Full Timers insurance.
Your basic RV insurance does not cover liability in the rig such as a guest tripping as he goes out the door. That was aways covered by your homeowners which, as a true full timer, you no longer have home owners insurance. This is part of what Full Time RV Insurance is about.
As rates vary for many different reasons, from the state of residence to each individuals needs to the price you paid for the rig, I am not even going to discuss our premium. I would suggest contacting as many as you can and get quotes.

Here are the ones we got quotes from....

Mendota Insurance

Gilbert RV Insurance

Explorer RV Insurance

Foremost Insurance

Progressive RV Insurance

As the above companies pretty much specialize in RV insurance they do understand a full timer from a part time or a weekender and will be happy to answer your questions. Like buying your Monty, buying RV insurance, especially full timers, requires a ton of research.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:04 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Check out Explorer RV. We checked them all and this one gave us the best quote. Has disappearing deductible too.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Orv and Marge,
Thanks for the info. I know you put a lot of work into the subject so you save me some leg (finger) work on the internet and phone. The one you found is the one we are waiting on a quote from. We just might get this settled soon
Thanks to everyone else for all the help!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Thanks to everyone for all the help. We now have new insurance. Much better coverage and at the same rate we had, but now it's for "Fulltimer" Insurance. We went with National (Explorer) They are also covering the TV. They were very helpfull and nice. We feel much better. None of that "Garaged Coverage". We can now see and was told by some of the other insurance places, how we could have been "Blindsided" by the insurance co. we had, because we were concidered fulltimers (Using the trailer 6-7 months a year) which they (Allstate) won't recognize. So they would have stepped aside and not covered our loss in the event of a crash or fire. Thanks for the heads up from all of you. Thank You and God for this site. It could have turned out very ugly but didn't.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Outahere

Thanks to everyone for all the help. We now have new insurance. Much better coverage and at the same rate we had, but now it's for "Fulltimer" Insurance. We went with National (Explorer) They are also covering the TV. They were very helpfull and nice. We feel much better. None of that "Garaged Coverage". We can now see and was told by some of the other insurance places, how we could have been "Blindsided" by the insurance co. we had, because we were concidered fulltimers (Using the trailer 6-7 months a year) which they (Allstate) won't recognize. So they would have stepped aside and not covered our loss in the event of a crash or fire. Thanks for the heads up from all of you. Thank You and God for this site. It could have turned out very ugly but didn't.
I believe with most vehicle insurance policies, I know our Allstate applies, your trailer is covered by your tow vehicle insurance policy if you have a vehicle accident while the trailer is being towed. In such a case our separate RV insurance is not used and for those with the disappearing deductible such an accident would not effect that disappearing deductible. This was a major consideration and the primary reason we kept the two vehicles with not only separate policies but separate companies as well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
National Interstate insures a lot of rv'ers including fulltimers like us. They have no problem with our po box number through alternative resources, also in South Dakota. If Allstate won't go along with you there are alternatives.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:05 AM   #12
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
got an email for that company Steve?
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Mel ... Steve is not online right now, but he did a Google search and here is the really, really long url you wanted ... http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/insuran...-insurance.htm. He said there's some good information there.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #14
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have used Foremost for the last 12 yrs. and they have given us great service at a fair premium. They do understand fulltiming.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote