Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
length of camper

We are planning to attend RV show at HersheyPark in PA. We are interested in buying Montana 3500RL (37 feet long) Now I have a question. I was told that I need to be careful before buying over 30 ft long because most of State and Federal campground do not accept over 30' long. (Walmart may not let you park either if length is too long) I would appreciate it if you will share experience if you have same problem or not? Many thanks..

Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
rock2,
There are some state parks that cannot handle a coach over 30', but I would not let that stop you from buying a larger coach. I have the 3400RL and have only had 3 parks tell me they could not handle the length, height or 4 slides. I have spent 3 different nites in a Wal-Mart parking lot and nobody said anything. There are some great rv parks outside most of the National Parks and would look at staying at those and drive the truck into the park. Best of luck on your buying decision.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'll echo what Montana Sky has said. Actually many of the state and federal parks have a 28' length. Mostly because they are very old and not only are the spots too short so are the interior roads. I know this from tent camping in them. We stayed in a park in Santa Paula that told us they didn't think they could handle our 4 slides and we did just fine, close but okay. WalMart does not have a length restriction. Some cities do have local ordiances they prevent you from parking period in WalMart or any other parking lot overnight. There are lots of campgrounds besides the state and federal parks and more and more of them are advertising sites for large rigs. Our first 5th wheel was 27' and believe me that is small if you are spending any time at all inside.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the 3475 Montana which is the same floor plan as the 3400 but with a fixed kitchen and three slides. I have never been told that I was too long. There has been cases where I put the RV in the lot on a slant (Myrtle Beach)because of the length. I was too close to the overhang on the front with the road. I wouldn't let that length bother you. We enjoy ours and all of the room is used.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crewcab Duramax with Edge
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to stay in state and fed parks in Kansas frequently with no problems with length (ours is 36' 4"). We have seen a few state parks, particularly in California, where there are few, if any, sites large enough for us. But in most places we've not had a problem. To tell the truth, we've found plenty of great sites where we can enjoy the comfort the size of the Montana provides and that's important to us. If those parks you would frequent would be a problem getting into, then that, of course, has to be a factor in your buying decision.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote