Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Montana_4014

M.O.C. #4014
Sell me on the "Montana"...

Hello! I am in the market for a Montana. I would like to know if you are happy with the durability of the 5th wheel Montana. Is it difficult to back and park one of the longer ones? How does it compare to the regular camper? I have been running with the "Airstream" gang but like many of the Montana's features. I do know that Airstreams are durable. Airstreamers say there is no other camper which can compare. Can you sell me on yours? Thanks!
nan_c

Montana_4014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hi Nancy,

First welcome to the MOC Forum. This is a great place to ask your question. When I think of Airsteam, I think of the Silver Sausage I used to see haulin' it down the highway behind a big Cadillac. I know that sterotypical view is not accurate today.

I don't think any of us, no matter what brand we buy, need to become so inordinately over confident as to assert, "there is nothing to compare." The choice of an RV rig depends on what you want to do with it, what you expect from it and how you want to spend your money.

I, for one, am extremely happy with my Montana including its duribility. The issues that have arisen are no greater in magnitude or frequency than I have experienced in my stick house.

I am not sure how to define a "regular camper", but Montana is vastly superior to most and runs a very competitive race with those that demand a higher price. The term we Montana folk use is, "Best bang for the buck."

If you have been backing an Airstream Travel Trailer, you will be pleasantly surprised at the greater control you have with a fifth wheel. As in all backing experiences, there is a learning curve.

I really don't want to sell you a Montana. When I have been "sold" something, I usually regret the outcome. Rather, when I buy because I have taken the time to fit my purchase to my needs or desires, I usually appreciate the outcome regardless of price or prestige the purchase commands.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi, Nancy. That's a very good question. The Airstreams are very nice units and I sure would never knock them. They're kind of an icon in the travel trailer world. And beautiful, to boot.

Montana has been the number one seller in North America for four consecutive years. In my opinion, any brand could with the sales title for one year but to maintain that position you must have a better product than the competition. I think four years in a row says a lot about the Montanas.

They are not perfect. They will develop the same problems as any other brand. And some get off the production line in less than perfect condition. But one thing we (Vicki and I) have found that would keep us in the Montana fold should we decide to trade is the way Keystone has backed the product. If you look through the forum you'll find they've done a number of things beyond the warranty period. There's no guarantee on that but the bigger problems they have taken care of. That's the mark of a good company to me and is an important point in our buying decision.

The Montanas are very well balanced and tow beautifully. Very smoothly. Much better than a travel trailer, especially in the wind, passing semis, etc. Backing is different. The fifthwheel will not react to your steering input as quickly as does a travel trailer. But you will adjust to that just like you adjusted to backing the travel trailer. It just takes a little practice.

By the way. We are on our second Montana.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you want. There are no dumb questions here. You'll find we're pretty good at airing our complaints but not so good at pointing out the good things -- unless someone asks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Nancy,
I'm happy you're considering a Montana, and welcome to the Forum! If you're traveling solo, I'm a kindred soul. When I first started full-timing about 2 years ago, backing the 5th wheel was my biggest challenge. Now I consider it my strength. I love showing everyone that women can back up as well as (better than?) men can. On my good days, that is. There are still those days when I can't get backed up straight when I have plenty of space and no reason to go wrong.

As to the Airstream, they are wonderful RVs. However, some friends of mine have one and were envious when they saw all the space I have in my Monty. Your choice of RV needs to address your needs and travel plans/habits. I'm also on my second Montana.

Good luck in choosing the right RV for you. And I hope the MOC Forum will help answer any questions you may have.

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not sure that you can compare an airstream with a Montana they are to me two completely different products and in different price ranges. The airstream to me is in a class of its own and it would not be fair to compare with other brands out of that class. After a couple of years of research we have decided to buy a Montana fifth wheel because it is the best RV in its class. It is not perfect, none of them are, but they are far better than the rest. It you can find the time take a tour of the Montana plant..seeing is believing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I'm no salesman. but if you do buy one you are in the right place.

After I bought my weekend camper used without a warranty Keystone upgraded my framing free of charge. The labor cost at a local shop was about 400 not including parts. For me I have not had any major problems but I do treat it pretty good. I have put about 30000 on it without incident. It is always ready to go. This year I put 4500 on it.

Welcome to the forum.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
As has already been said, most of us would not try to "sell" you on Montana/Keystone products. All we can do is speak from our experiences. We looked at many different brands of 5th wheels and always came back to Montana - it looked to us to be the best value for the $$$. We had a 30' Prowler Regal previously and the main reasons we traded for the Montana were space and we just wanted to try a 5th wheel. Hubby says towing the Montana is a breeze, and backing/maneuvering is easier than a tow trailer. The choice has to be yours - fit your needs and your budget and go with what is best for you. Happy "hunting".
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:25 AM   #8
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Like those above, we got ours for the terrific bang-for-the buck. We were dead set on another brand (Open Road-- another good bang-for-the-buck unit), but wandered across our current home (our Mounty) just before purchasing the OR. We couldn't be happier. The Mountaineer is a great product in this price class.

We also strongly agree that the 5er is much easier to tow and back up than a travel trailer. I was very surprised how quickly I was able to learn to maneuver the unit. Regardless of the brand, we'll never go back to a TT. The 5er simply offers too much room and maneuverability. All of this being said, no matter what you get, we sure hope you love the RV life as much as we do!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Nancy welcome to the forum, this is the place to get all the answers to your questions. We have had 3 fifth wheels,a Teton (expensive,beautiful and heavy) a cardinal very comfortable and also heavy) and now a Montana 2003 3280,light comfortable and most important my wife wanted it. Good luck in your search.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Welcome to the forum: We are on our first Montana (as well as our 1st 5th wheel). We have had travel trailers and motor home prior and we both like our #3295 Montana more than any others we looked at. It is easier to tow and park, more storage than anything we have had, and we like the "finished" look everything has. That's not to say we haven't had some problems here and there, but RV's in general will give anyone grey hair. We are snowbirding in Arizona next Winter with cats and dogs for company and it's already packed for the trip. And we still have room for fishing poles, and golf clubs - we couldn't even begin to think of doing that without the 5th wheel...look at storage, budget, and liveability - forget what the name is - and then after you've bought it - you won't forget a "Montana" of any model or size, for sure.

Mike & Evy
2004 3295
2004 Dodge
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #11
Montana_4014

M.O.C. #4014
Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for input about the 5th wheel Montana experience and how it might compare with the Airstream. We really enjoyed Steve and Vicki's "postcards" about their "fulltiming times". Everyone seems to be getting the most out of life with their campers and positive attitudes. The two do seem to go together! In closing, you have been a wonderful help and thanks for your ideas and thoughts. Sincerely, Nancy Carr
Montana_4014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Nancy, as a person who grew up when it seemed the big two quality campers were the Airstream and the Holiday Rambler, I can understand your fondness for the “tin cans.” Obviously, from my nickname for Airstreams, my parents were in the Holiday Rambler camp, but both brands have been excellent RVs for many years, and as Steve said, the Airstream IS an RV icon. We found a dish pattern last fall that has an early Airstream model on it!

I totally understand your love of an Airstream; my parents and I felt EXACTLY the same way about Holiday Ramblers. If the love of Airstream flows heavily through your blood, however, then I doubt you will be happy with any other brand. I know my parents would not have anything BUT a Holiday Rambler. I say that because if a person holds something precious, well, nothing will ever match it.

Obviously, I have broke with the Holiday Rambler camp, but because Marsha and I could not afford one when we married, starting with a Coleman pop up, a Prowler TT, and now the Montana. Do I love my Montana? Absolutely! I truly do believe it gives the most quality for the dollars. It is a beautiful unit and we are quite comfortable in it now that we are growing accustomed to its size. I will add that as we pulled up to the dump station today, two other campers came up, commenting on how beautiful it is and one even mentioned how they intend to purchase one in the future.

From a towing standpoint, I must be the black sheep when I say that I do not enjoy it, but that is NOT because of the Montana. I try to be extremely vigilant when towing, and find the experience exhausting because of that. That said, I do not see myself leaving a fifth wheel for another TT; they tow beautifully, especially when a transfer truck passes. Backing was a challenge at first as they DO handle differently from a TT, but Marsha and I have made drastic increases in our abilities—her with instructions and me backing—since we bought the Montana in March. Practice is everything!

My advice is be comfortable with whatever you do—Airstream, Montana, or even Holiday Rambler! Check out everything you can and make the best educated decision that will also provide for optimal happiness—optimal because I believe NO unit will prove itself perfect.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I must agree with everyone's posts: its an individual choice. Before we bought our first 5th. Wheel trailer some years ago, we were fortunate enough to have borrowed my father-in-laws' unit for a week's "short vacation". That gave us some time, albeit a very short time, to check out the handling characteristics and the "livability" of the unit. We kinda had a feel for a TT as we compared our old 6,000 lb boat to one in terms of towability. Things have come a long way since that trip in the 80's both in terms of trailer "performance"; i.e. towing, and their ammenities. Tow vehicle have made great strides as well; better braking, more responsive steering and better matches between power and durability of the drive trains. I guess, if I would give you a "sales pitch", I'd say try and borrow one or "hook-up" with someone who has a 5th. wheel (especially a Montana)---go for a drive as in you driving and just see if "it works for you". I'm sure whatever choice you make will be the correct choice based upon your personal preferences.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The earlier posters have pretty much covered most of my comments, except for these:
Comparing TT's with 5er's is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing Airstream to Montana is compounding the task because of the difference in cost.
A 32 ft TT, no slides, has about the same living space as a 28 ft 5er, no slides.
Fivers are generally safer to tow, better hitch and more stability [in my opinion].
My wife and I both feel we would not have a RV without slide[s] because of the extra spaciousness in the 5er. The non-slide RV's feel like being inside a tube.
Airstreams are too expensive for us, to buy and/or maintain. A friend had one and replacement parts were up to 5 times, or more, the cost of parts for a RV like the Montana.

Moving them around is a learned activity and proficiency will come over time via practice and use, regardless of the type of RV you get.

Check out the RV's that interest you and get the one that feels right.

At one time, many years ago we wanted an Airstream, never could see our way clear to get one. We presently have our 2d Montana and I don't believe we would get an Airstream now even if we could afford it.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
Montana_4028

M.O.C. #4028
Nancy, I suggest you check out Montana Problems and Tech Help under General Discussions on this site.
Montana_4028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:16 AM   #16
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Nancy, Welcome aboard.
I think you have recieved some good advice from the above post.
It is good to know what some of the probleme are on any rig that you might own. They all have problems you can't build a rig with this many systems and ask out of it what we do and not have some problems.
Joy and I started by sleeping in the back of our truck and have moved to Tent to T/T to Fifth Wheel. This is our third, before we bought this one we looked for over a year at all models and decided like stated above that Montana was the best bang for the buck.
As far as backing if you can back a T/T you can back a Fifth Wheel they do back a little different but all in all they are a lot easier to back.
Towing a Fifth Wheel is just about the best towing you can get I some times forget that that big rig is behind me.
It is all about choice that is why there are so many different rigs to choise from.
Just another thought
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote