Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Recalls are increasing!

The pressure is on to force all manufacturers to recall problems that may be 10 plus years old! The list appears to be growing. This link might be of interest to truck owners.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/recalls/

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
GM has certainly lead the pack with significant recall issues with both car and truck models; per the news last night, over 5 million vehicles recalled.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
They are not alone, over 6 million in one recall for Toyota
http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/09/autos/toyota-recall/
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Remember the Pinto just a .050 cent part to solve the problem but they just had to wait until a bunch of people were killed by exploding gas tanks in a rear end collision.
It really angers me to see any company not fix there errors, without the government forcing them to do them.
Its all about greedy stock holders and CEO's profits slowing down the repair problems.
I have no sympathy for any of them, I spend hard earned money for the product and I expect a good and safe product in return.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Remember the Pinto just a .050 cent part to solve the problem but they just had to wait until a bunch of people were killed by exploding gas tanks in a rear end collision.
It really angers me to see any company not fix there errors, without the government forcing them to do them.
Its all about greedy stock holders and CEO's profits slowing down the repair problems.
I have no sympathy for any of them, I spend hard earned money for the product and I expect a good and safe product in return.

While I agree with the statement on good safe products, some of these problems don't become known until after the product has been out for a while. That's where major manufacturers screwed up - by not stepping up as soon as the problem was identified (all manufacturers, not just GM). On the other hand, some of the recalls were/are questionable. Take the big uproar about pickup truck side impact crashes and fuel tanks. Large trucks, up to and including semis have used exposed side tanks for eons, and still do. Some are diesel, which is less prone to catching fire, but not all. Same applies to many of Nadar's claims on the Corvair. While it did have some flaws, they weren't near as dangerous as Ralph wanted us to believe. I believe we are now seeing a backlash from GM in which they recall every conceivable thing that could even remotely be considered a hazard. To a point, that's a good thing, but how long should a company be held for problems, especially small ones? I've seen people complain about issues on vehicles with 200,000 miles on them. Parts wear out, yet some people feel that shouldn't happen and want the manufacturers to replace them. Some were safety related (wheel bearings for example) while others are not, like injectors.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ford knew in the sixties of the "Mustang gas" tank issues and even ran actuarial analysis on potential litigation vs fixing problem. My dear friend Lisa H unfortunately was burned nearly to death, before a jury awarded millions. I hope or would like to think, manufacturers no longer put profits over lives? It's interesting to note, one if the tracks was for a "lighted vanity mirror" that could catch fire in Jeeps. It only effected Jeeps that already had a dealer recall repair, for a malfunctioning vanity mirror!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Artemus, if you think the bottom line isn't what's still driving business today, you're living in a much happier world than others of us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Artemus, if you think the bottom line isn't what's still driving business today, you're living in a much happier world than others of us.
Hope is eternal Dick! But sadly it's only hope. I must agree with you!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Update: I got recall notice on our 2012 SS Camaro 45 Anniversary addition, Friday of last week! It's to replace Key Fob. They made me bring it into the dealer. Noted I had both Keys. Told me a new set would be ordered and hopefully would arrive this year! It will require recoding keys and amounts to big pain in butt! Dealer stated the problem existed because people put too many keys on key fob. That can result in car turning off while driving. They made it very clear GM must have my old keys back. Those key fobs I will turn in, have 45 Anniversary logos. The new keys, will not! Kinda of sucks to have 1-120 cars and have the original key fobs missing?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What can they do if you don't give them back?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I agree with DQ, don't have the recall done and don't put "too" many keys on the keyring. This recall is a knee jerk reaction by the government and could easily be avoided by by informing owners to not place extra keys on the vehicle key ring. Eventually someone will realize that not "everyting" can be made idiotproof.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
I work in the automotive component industry. The truth about the GM ignition switch is simply if you don't put pounds of stuff on the key ring, you don't have a problem. But GM should have made the recall as soon as they knew of a problem. Part of it is greed, but also part is the huge bureaucracy in a large corporation. We make electronic components for all of them. It takes an act of Congress to make a product change because of law suit risks, even if the change has nothing to do with safety. We do take safety and quality very seriously and I think as a whole folks at the manufacturing level try to do the right thing. But CEOs and bean counters only look at the numbers. I honestly believe quality and safety are much better than in years past, no in small part because foreign competition was doing it better. Now if we could only get the Japanese or Koreans to make RV's, better quality would spread thru the industry. Oh well, it's nice to dream....
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I called dealer today. Ask Dick's question. What if I don't give keys back? Dealer said, I will find out. He said I could just ignore the recall. If i want new keys, I must turn in the old keys. Called my Attorney, told me to keep keys, tell next owner the special keys were recalled. If they want new Keys, go turn them into dealer! I called my dealer told him to forget ordering them. I am not giving back the Logo Keys! But as a precaution I took off my lucky Rabbits Foot, the cool charm of a moon rock and the 16 other keys I had attached to the fob! Thanks Dick!