Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
When we bought our 3400RL in August, we also had a dilema - which first. We were towing a trailer with our Tahoe and hated to give it up but really wanted the 5er. So we bought the truck one weekend and the trailer three days later. Have been very pleased with how the 2500HD Duramax/Allison Silverado pulls the 3400. Still getting broken in and we're hitting 11.5 mpg with the trailer and around 20 mpg without (tonneau cover). We have been extremely pleased. First, the unit has been fantastic. Second, so many neat people own Montanas. Hope you can join us at the Rally.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #22
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Have been very pleased with how the 2500HD Duramax/Allison Silverado pulls the 3400. Still getting broken in and we're hitting 11.5 mpg with the trailer and around 20 mpg without (tonneau cover). We have been extremely pleased. First, the unit has been fantastic. Second, so many neat people own Montanas. Hope you can join us at the Rally.
I am so glad to see someone with basically the exact setup we have... I only pulled my 3400RL 70 miles to home and it has been in the driveway since... planning a 3 or 4 day "maiden" voyage to Williamsburg, Va., second week in Nov.... If I can get that kind of milage I will be ecstatic!!!!

Do you use the tow button on the gear shift leaver all the time when towing? I am very interested in not harming the truck or the transmission, etc.... I guess I should keep the tow button in all the time..... have you towed the camper in mountains yet? and if so, how did the milage fare there??

thanks for the info......

Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:31 PM   #23
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tommyz

my ? is the truck. Will a 2500 HD diesel do it or should I consider the 3500?
I haven't even read past your post, just wanted to say my husbands truck, GMC 2500HD pulls our 3400RL and you don't even know it's back there. I think ANY heavy duty will suit your needs.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #24
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimnkaran
So much easier pulling with the F350.
Not trying to start any wars, but I have pulled ours with both trucks that you have and in my experience I think the GMC pulled the Montana better, or at least ours did. I didn't have alot of luck with my Ford, but the get up and go in the GMC is way more superior. Our GMC blows away my new Dodge for get up and go too.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #25
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by speezack

but I have found that with the proper tires and a sliding 5th. wheel installed... you really do not need a "dullie"
Okay, explain please! What is a sliding 5th?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #26
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
A sliding fifth is a fifth wheel hitch that slides forwards and backwards for manuvering purposes. The manual 5th wheel hitch should be used in the forward position while towing and most forward turns. When you need to manuever while backing into a spot, you manually extend the hitch rearward so you don't run the unit into the back of the truck (sharp turning). If you get one of the automatic hitches, it slides the hitch backwards proportionately to the degree of the turn, and returns to the forward position while traveling straight. The automatic sliders give the driver a sense of security, knowing that the unit should never hit the truck in all types of turns, forward and backwards! On the manual sliders, you have to get out of the truck to set it, and you have to return it to the origional position during normal trailering. Many don't find the need to have a slider, given the extended hitch pins that are mounted on the Montanas, but you still hear the horror stories of truck damage in certain circumstances.
tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #27
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tnorfitz

A sliding fifth is a fifth wheel hitch that slides forwards and backwards for manuvering purposes.
See..........I asked a stuipd question and would you believe we have one of these too and didn't even know it.....
Old 10-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #28
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Tom, we bought our 3400 in june and have spent a month and half in it already and we just love the lay out also. Alot of room and very nice when you are entertaining other couples to be working in the kitchen with all the countertop and still be part of whats going on. We have been pulling ours with our 94 2500 chevy diesel and it has been doing suprisingly well. We just picked up our 2005 chevy 3500 dually crew cab 2 wheel drive with the duramax. I only have 200 miles on it yet and will not have the hitch put in until next week. But running empty in some high winds lately I have already noticed a big difference in how the truck does not move around in a cross wind. We plan on traveling alot cross country and wanted the wider stance. But from what I can tell the 2500 would work just fine also and be easier to park for most people. The dually width was not as much of a concern with us as we kept our 94 to drive on a daily basis. Have fun picking out the truck and 5er. You won't go wrong with any of the Montanas and most all the trucks will do the job.
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #29
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hey Gang - we picked up our new 3400RL this morning. We tow would our 2000 Ford with a few modification, but it is single rear wheel 3/4 ton, short bed. The trip from the dealer how was about 100 miles that seemed like the best 100 miles we have ever pulled with the truck. The new unit pulls so much better than our Mountaineer even though it is about 3000 lbs heavier. I am sure you guys with the newer trucks will not have any problems. We can't wait to take the "long journer". Happy Towing !
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Native Tex
Congrats on bringing your 3400RL home today. I am sure you will have many more happy miles to come. Enjoy the new coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:42 AM   #31
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Okay, explain please! What is a sliding 5th?
[/quote]

the hitch will slide forward toward the cab of the truck or back toward the camper... thus increasing or decreasing the clearance of the camper and the truck..... sometimes needed if you have a shorter bed truck.....
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 AM   #32
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
speezack - I think the quote you are talking about is referring to the hitch with a release lever in the bed of the truck that allows the base to move/slide back and forth to aid in manuvering. This sliding back and forth is not for towing, only for sharp turns or backing. Some hitches work with a manual lever and some are refereed to as "auto". I am not sure have the later work because I have the manual type.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #33
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
[quote]Originally posted by Native Tex

I am not sure have the later work because I have the manual type.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yea,.. me too.... I think the auto slide is about another $500+... so I just figured I could just pull the pin and keep the 500... I don't think I even need the slider cause I have it centered and it turns tight just fine..... BTW... I am from Houston originally.... I guess that makes me a native tooooo...

thanks for the info....

Old 11-02-2004, 04:01 PM   #34
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Best I can say about us native Texans and that comes in two phrases....Hook 'Em Horns, and Go 'Boys....

BTW... I am from Houston originally.... I guess that makes me a native tooooo...

thanks for the info....

[/quote]