Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
Montana_1781
Established Member

M.O.C. #1781
Major sway problems

On our recent vacation to Myrtle Beach, we almost lost the trailer to the worst swaying we have ever experienced. This was the first time we towed our new 2004 305FKS with our 2001 V10 Ford Excursion. We previously owned at 24 ft. Terry Resort travel trailer and never had sway problems. We have the equalizing hitch bars and the Reese sway bar. But when 18 wheelers blew past us, my husband was white knuckling a majority of the trip. We figure that since the Monty is longer, heavier and higher than our other travel trailer these are factors. On vacation someone told us about the Hensley Arrow hitch. He said that he knows three people that own them and swear by them. They say absolutely NO SWAY. Are any of you familiar with the Hensley? It costs almost $3000.00 which is A LOT of money but if what they say about it is true, we are thinking of investing in it. I would appreciate anyone input on it. Thanks.

Montana_1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hey Smalldawg wecome to the forum.

#1 Have you been able to become familiar with putting the proper distribution on your TT? We TT owners need to make the measurements at the wheel wells to insure we are distributing right.

#2 Do you have the right size bars. I would think you need 1200 lb. bars, because those FK's (Front Kitchens) are known to have a lot of tongue wt. You need to weigh your tongue if you havn't done this.

#3 You said you have a Reese sway bar. If it's a friction type that you tighten it's time to dump that. That's old school.

The Hensley has a loyal following (fanatical at times). It will work no doubt about that. Down side expense and there ugly.

A heck of a lot of us large TT people are very happy with the HP Dual Cam set up from Reese.

You'll want to make sure the TV, the TT and the load dist. bars, are all level to the ground when hitched.

My opinion, I'd go with my experience and do the HP Dual Cam.
Is your Receiver a Class V on your Ford? If not that's something else that needs to be concidered.

A good source if you are buying hitch equip. is etrailer.com

If we can help in any way, get back to us. Thats what were all about helping each other.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:11 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
azstar, that is great advise you have given to smalldawg. Thanks for the posting.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I have a 5th wheel now, but I had a TT previously. After a new travel trailer gave us sway problems, we went to the Reese dual cam, and that solved our problem completely! We were pulling an 8800 lb travel trailer with a three quarter ton suburban.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that is the exact reason we went with a 5th wheel this time. previous motor homes and travel trailors have never towed as good as this 5ver!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Cant really add to what has already been posted. I pull 8500# with my 3/4 ton pu -- no problem and no sway using the dual cam hitch. I too looked at the Hensley and almost bought one. Good as they are, I'm glad I saved the money.

Good Luck!
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:40 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I agree with everything everybody has told you. The reese sway cams are very good. When we towed a 34 ft Nomad with a front kitchen, I had to go to heavier sway cams. Another thing you might consider is air bags for the van. Most vans suspensions are soft and any sway from the trailer, the van soft suspension will compound the problem. We tow a Montana with a 1 ton pickup and adding the air bags has helped the bouncing problems we had. It stabalized the rear of the truck so the 5th wheel just tags along. Campers World installed mine.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smalldawg

On our recent vacation to Myrtle Beach, we almost lost the trailer to the worst swaying we have ever experienced. This was the first time we towed our new 2004 305FKS with our 2001 V10 Ford Excursion. We previously owned at 24 ft. Terry Resort travel trailer and never had sway problems. We have the equalizing hitch bars and the Reese sway bar. But when 18 wheelers blew past us, my husband was white knuckling a majority of the trip. We figure that since the Monty is longer, heavier and higher than our other travel trailer these are factors. On vacation someone told us about the Hensley Arrow hitch. He said that he knows three people that own them and swear by them. They say absolutely NO SWAY. Are any of you familiar with the Hensley? It costs almost $3000.00 which is A LOT of money but if what they say about it is true, we are thinking of investing in it. I would appreciate anyone input on it. Thanks.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Lots of good ideas. Keep us posted. Happyrving.......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
Montana_1781
Established Member

M.O.C. #1781
Thanks to all for your responses especially AZSTAR. I will have my husband check into all the things you said. And we will definitely check out the Reese dual cam. This forum is great!
Montana_1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Coro from Maryland
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #455
Just a note that if you were heading south toward Myrtle Beach on I-95, the road surface just inside the SC boarder is awful and noted for producing sway and surge. But it should have cleared up when you hit the new pavement about 30 miles south.
Coro from Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote