Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Bedroom slide leaks

I have been talking about the problems we have had with our 2955RL leaking around the B/R slide. After time number six back to the dealer they decided to ask Keystone for advice. ( I had sent a nasty gram to Keystone prior and got no response). I ask for a meeting with the owner of the company (Funtime Rv) and this request was denied, but I did talk (by phone)to the General Manager on Aug 20th and made an appointment to meet with him for a later time( the 24th of Aug.) As I walked into his office he informed me that Keystone had been on the phone with him only minutes before and wanted the trailer back at the factory after seeing all the times it had been in for the same repair problem. They may have known about all my problems because I kept good records and ALL the repair orders from FunTime, and that I had sent them copies of all the info I had. Anyway, the unit is going back to Indiana and I hope that they can find the problem. For all my troubles the are extending the warranty for an additional six months. Moral of the story. DON'T GIVE UP, KEEP FIGHTING AND KEEP GOOD RECORDS OF ALL YOUR REPAIRS.

I will post the outcome when the trailer comes back, about three weeks. I don't know about the repair records all being on computer to the factory, but I had sent a care package to them after leak number five and that was what I had not response from.

WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
WACOT, So sorry to hear about all your trouble with your bedroom slide. I am sure that keystone will fix it for you as they have stepped up to the plate time and time again. Fla native had a lot of trouble with her bedroom slide leaking also.

Please keep us posted on the progress. You are right always keep good records.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I may have misunderstood this (when we had to take our unit back to Goshen), but I was under the impression that all repairs done to a unit were put on a central computer system that Keystone had access to. So, everytime you took your unit in for repairs for slide it was input into the system.

I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS (that is my disclaimer)

But, yes, as a consumer we should keep good records, keep a copy of all those repair shop write ups, when you take it in and what ever they give you when you pick it up.

Photos if necessary are nice too.

Congrats Wacot on your tenacity. Good luck with the repair. Personally we were very impressed with the repair facility in Goshen, and even more impressed with their personal!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The MOC has a rally at the factory the end of next month so you may want to get your name to someone you know that is going and they can personally ask the General Manager, Jeff, to see how the work is going.

Hopefully it will be back before then.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
I would be very interested in the fix at the factory. Ours has the same problem and I can't find it. We haven't had it back to the dealer yet as we live in it until November. Then i'm heading to the dealer. It would be great to know how yours was fixed b4 I get there. Thanx Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have mine at the dealers right now for the same problem. I am curious as to what they are going to do to resolve the leak. Let us know what the factory's fix is please.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I also had a leak at the bedroom slide. I fiddled with numerous fixes and did a lot of head scratching before I found the problem. If you look at the side of your slide you will find a metal trim strip near the bottom with a vinyl strip snapped into it. When it rains water gets in behind the vinyl and is carried right into the bedroom carpet. I pulled the vinyl loose near the slide seal and put generous amount of silicone rubber in there and replace the vinyl. Presto, no more leak. Hope this helps. If it does tell your dealer you'll show him how if he'll pay.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
OOPS
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Charlie & Nila: Thanks for your above comments. Tomorrow I am having hubby go and check our dinette slide for this vinyl metal strip and see how ours is put together. We also have been having troubles with leakage (refer to our thread "slide leak fix"). This would be a wonderful thing if our resolution is as simple as this seems to sound like.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Wacot, I will be taking my unit in on the 6th Of Sept. for the same leakage, I found that at the bottom of the seal there is holding place where the water builds up and soak into the floor around the slinding door where the slid come in. I feel that the down spout has a lot to do with it. Will post results when unit is done.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The bottom seal for the bedroom slide is fastened to a channel which holds water as there is no place for it to go. It just looks like trouble waiting to happen so I ground a notch in the side of the channel on each end. This was not the cure for the bedroom leak on my unit however.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #12
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Well back from the dealer. I was told the seal was splick in two places. That is why the bedroom got rain in it. I will have to wait or make it rain on it to see if it works.
the two seals replaced was the side and bottom.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 AM   #13
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Someone ask if the repair orders from the dealers are reported to Keystone home office. Our unit in back in Goshen and someone called me from there to acknowledge the letter I had wrote them and I ask that question about the reporting. This fellow told me they only get reports of warranty issues that they have to pay for, but then he sounded surprised to hear that the dealer had submitted claims for over $2,500.00 without Keystone intervening. To report on the repair of our unit because of the leaks. They were building a new box to fit the cutout in the wall so there is a better fit, new seals etc, etc. Hope to have it returned soon. A month without a trip is not a good thing. Hope all this pans out as we are heading for San Diego in Nov, leak or no leak.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote