Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
OK ??? OF Finances

I had to move my 401k since retirement. same place diff acc at EJ. My man wants to invest atleast half back in the market. same guy told me when the dow was 14000 dont worry to leave it alone welll that cost me 1/3 of it. So just need some OPS. IRA,Cds no market. dont need it now just want access to it and for it to be there for DW. Since alot of you are retired what do you think.
thanks bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
You shouldn't have lost one third of your investment in the stock market unless you cash in.
The market has started back up,this is the reason you invest for long term. I think your man is right!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We look at the long term... Our entire 401K is in the stock market has been for about 20 years. Yes we did take a heavy loss as most did over the last 2 years or so but it has had 7 stright months of gains now and is nearly out of the hole.( maybe is now) We took a paper loss .There is still far more dollars in there that we invested. Also we do not now use the 401K for retirement income. Never did. I would vote for the stock ,Market right now...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You never lose ANYTHING...unless you sell. So if you have kept all those investments...as noted, they are coming back...you have not lost a dime. I'd let him do it, but ask that he run the companies by you prior to investing. Then you can get on any number of sites (Standard and Poor, Morningstar, etc) and see what their recommendation is for that stock...buy, hold or sell.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
What ever you do you must diversify or you take a bigger hit in the down cycles. I hope you didn't pull out in a low.
I am only down 6.5% from the all time high, so not to bad, considering. But still down just the same.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I took a hit on mine as everybody did. I choose to manage my own money and it is through Fidelity. My account is almost back to where it was before it turned down. I made some changes on the way down, and then when I thought it was near the bottom I put my money back to work. I keep a balanced portfolio (50/50) of stocks and bonds and draw 4% of the total portfolio every month and have been doing it ever since I retired almost 6 years ago. There is more money in the account now then when I retired, but it wouldn't be that way if I didn't leave some in equities (stocks). CD's and Bonds are OK, it all depends on your risk tolerance. But this is what I elect to do.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
We are currently at about 75% bonds, 20% exchange traded mutual funds and 5% cash equivalents. We are up more than 14% after fees and taxes so far this year and hoping to do better as things turn around. Investments are highly personal so regardless of what anyone says, your investments must pass the sleep test. If you are losing sleep over your portfolio, your investment strategy is wrong for you and it has to change. Just like flying, make small, deliberate adjustments as you go and you will be fine.

Tim in Katy, Texas
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Almost all of mine is in a low cost balanced mutual fund (Vanguard), and has been for a long time. About 55% stock funds, 45% bond funds.
Dropped some, but not disastrous. Has recovered a large part of that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys This is what I am looking for. the problem is it was with the Co That I worked for So when I was put on disability And was termed from the Co I had to take it all out. so I got what was there now. Had to do this 2 wks ago and it had came back alot but still down some. It could have been alot worse now it is just sitting there. I have to do something very soon. That is why I am concerned right now I have to do something with it in the next few days. My man has it in the bank or that is what he said!!!!
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
We have most of ours in tax free municipal bonds with the other 20 to 25% in stocks and funds. After the tech fall and last year's fall, I really don't want to mess with the market anymore.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I think it is a great time to buy. I do belive in using a good professional though. I am not smart enough to be my own broker.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Rule of thumb---1/3 stocks---1/3 bonds---1/3 cash
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote