Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darrell "Shifty" Powers Band Of Brothers is gone

I received the below email, and I did some research. There is a link to the research at the end, but read the story first.
================================================== =
Subject: A member of the " Band of Brothers" died June 17, 2009.

Forwarded from a good friend. If this does not bring tears to your eyes, I don't know what will.
We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.
I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, and then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . .. . And then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.
He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade. No big event in Staples Center . No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage. No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."
Roberto Clemente
============================================

Research information on article

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
In 2005 the Veteran's Administration reported that over 1,000 World War 2 veterans were dying every day. That sobering number puts into perspective the number of lives that conflict touched and the commitment this country made to rid the world of fascism and imperialism. It also is a grim reminder of the number of people, both men and women, who gave so much and asked for nothing in return. To those who served, whether they still be with us or not, I say "Thank You, and may God watch over you.".
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ohmigosh.... did anyone notice the signature of Roberto Clemente? It would poignant to confirm that the letter was written by a hero of one of America's favorite pastimes - baseball. To read this from anyone, and especially one who recognizes the contributions of the real heroes of America - our serving military - that we might take advantage of their efforts to create our moments as U.S. citizens and residents, lest we forget those veterans that live with their life's memories and sacrifices EVERY day of their remaining lives. How humble do I feel?

We must never forget!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Shifty Powers died about the same time Michael Jackson died. The media's fawning over the latter shows what they consider to be important. Those WW II men were some of America's finest.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Art,
Read the research article. The originator of the email was a DOW Chemical employee named Mark Pfiefer. the email circulating that I posted had the Clemente name, but someone took liberty with that. Typical of forwarded email. Someone usually wants to spice it up there way.

For those who never watched "Band of Brothers" It was a well done movie. This link is a clip as spoken by the

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the clearup Wayne. Yup, I didn't read far enough.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Wow! What a great loss! A real American Hero. My prayers go out to Mr. Powers and all Vets. I loved Band of Brothers, it was a look at how it really was in WWII. I bought the DVD's because I liked it so much. This was a great letter! Thank you for sharing. John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
John, I own the DVD's also and highly recommend them for their accuracy from both the historical perspective, but also from a technical point of view. There were a few very minor detail mistakes, but even fanatics were impressed at the level of correctness. Less historically correct but great nevertheless was Saving Private Ryan. The opening sequence on that movie is about as close to combat experience you can have without getting shot.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
What a loss. It's sad, we're loosing these Heros at such a rate these days, and when they go, we loose so much history with them. I wonder how many people watched "Band of Brothers" and only thought some guy just made a movie to make a buck without the slightest thought to the true historical significance of what was produced. May Mr. Powers be at peace with those Brothers who preceeded him.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
The surviving World War II vets are getting on in years. My FIL was a teenaged bomber pilot in Europe and he just turned 85.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote