Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Stroke update

Hi everyone-today is not such a good day. I am really dizzy and tired and that whooshing in my head is annoying to put it mildly.
Dave and I talked to the Neurologist this morning, with him doing most of the talking as I can't remember a lot of Friday until evening. Tomorrow I go for an MRI and an MRA at the same time. I don't mind the MRI machines, in fact, I fall asleep in them. My only fear was that I was going to need another IV for more dye and my veins are small, hard to find and roll. They have about used all they could find this weekend in the hospital. So, in case they needed to stick a needle in again, I was going to ask to be sedated to keep my blood pressure down. This may sound like I am two years old, but it hurts, A LOT when they go for the vein and then dig around trying to get a vein or one that works. But, nothing like that. Just me and the machine.
I also go to see the Neurologist next Monday, the 8th, which will give her time to get all the records she needs from the weekend and the results of the MRI, MRA and CT Scan they did on Friday. I also have to have to have echocardiogram but that has not been scheduled. One of the first things I learned after my first stroke from a wonderful website dedicated to just for people who have had strokes is that after a stroke, many of them discovered had holes in their hearts. I don't really want to have that prognosis but I really want an answer as to why this is happening. I feel so crappy today and am so scared, I feel like my body is a ticking time bomb.
Thank all of you again for everything. Dave or I will keep you posted as we know anything.
Betsy

labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We are continuing to pray for you and Dave - and your speedy recovery!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yep, we are here for ya!

I am sure you have been there, with the needles thingy, I have that problem too, rolling veins, they have used a butterfly on me, and baby needles. Recently, that seems to be what works. I have a HUGE fear of blood work, etc. One time they did 5 attempts, and rolled that needle around, it was horribly painful, went through 3 nurses, finally a friend and a recovery room nurse got it in. I was having a diganositic type surgery that time, and for those who have been there, it is never fun, to top it off, my blood sugar dropped, after they got that IV in, they sorta forgot to turn on the drip. DUHHHH. Oh, I passed out in the mamogram machine, yep, it was UGLY!!! No jokes please, I don't have ANY sense of humor on this subject!

Anyway, I just thought I would ask ya about the butterfly and/or baby needles.

Try to relax, I know it is really hard, but try. Working your self up surely is not gonna be good.

Lordy, it stinks getting old, who said this was the Golden Years???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I understand the problem with the rolling, moving and small veins. Our daughter has that problem. Last time at Henry Ford Hosp (big important place) six tries and four people and yep like Carol said the baby needles also. Finally, decided she was dehydrated and had to go drink lots of water. Went back for the seventh try and they got it that time. So, drink lots of water and ask for the baby needles.

Hope this might help you; but most of all you have our thoughts and prayers. Like Carol said: "try and relax, it's hard" and there is nothing wrong with a good cry now and then to help.

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Hi Carol and Sharon-I know all about butterfly needles. I tell them that is what they have to use and for the most part, they will listen. However, it takes someone with just the right touch to not make me cry. I'm sure that I was dehydrated as well as I was nauseous and could not really drink much of anything or eat.
And, Carol, that is terrible!!!! What is the matter with people? I'm so sorry that you had to go through all that. I don't know what health care people are thinking sometimes. I know that mistakes can happen but your incidents are horrible. I'm glad that you came out of those terrible experiences alright.
And, in order not to get upset, I would demand something to help me relax and if it didn't work, I will start demanding someone who knows what they are doing. Some people just have the touch and that is all it takes to make IV's work.
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The last Flange Head that tried to start one on Betsy used a butterfly and a baby needle and really just kept sticking it under the skin. She moved it all around and finally when she had Betsy bawling her eyes out she gave up. I wasn't happy but that was the end of it for the IV this stay in the hospital. I, along with lots of other people object to having an IV started in the back of the hand. It is painful and there a lots of nerve bundles there. I would rather have it anywhere on either of my forearms. I have lots of firehose veins and they are easy to hit even with a 14 gauge needle. Betsy is a very hard stick but when we were taking the EMT/IV tech training I got my first start on her hand. It was a kind of status symbol to get a hand start, but much easier to do the inside of the elbow or on the forearm. I don't like IVs but they are required in most ER cases. The hospitals really need to train their Vampires better... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

LOVE that nickname, Vampires! SNICKER!

Betsy, keep us posted this week on your tests.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Betsy, Sorry to hear of your IV problems, being a past vampire, I know how hard it can be with some folks. A trick I used to use is to have the person drink alot of water, then place their hand/arm in a heating pad for awhile, usually, but not always, makes the veins plump up. I was a patient at one time with a bad case of celluitis and was having IV therapy for 8 days and they had to keep changing the IV site, (Harsh antibiotics). The last time they had to stick me I demanded an anesthesiologist come down to do it. He made it on first attempt. Just a thought!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I have had to have several episodes with the vampires this year, as I was diagnosed with the Demon (diabetes) in January. My maker made this nasty disease known to me when and where he did, cause he had a fabulous nurse standing by to do my draws during a 3 hours glucose tolerance test, 5 draws in 3 hours, no stint thingy is allowed, must be a fresh prick/draw each time. This wonderful gal listened to me, used the baby needles, hit the FIRST prick each time, no diggin, no messing around, this was a vampire angel! Anyway, she told me she was trained by a surgeon, who trained her wayyyyy different than she was taught in nursing school. I found that interesting. Not that it helps Betsy, but, I thought it was interesting anyway.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I am sending prayers your way Betsy. Hope you are good as new soon.

I was in an emergency room several years ago and the nurse stuck me about 3 or 4 times. Started to stick me again, I stopped her and told her she was not sticking me again, and told her to get someone that knew what they were doing. Another nurse came in and got the needle in on first try.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
My motto is 2 sticks and no more! Thoughts and Prayers for you Betsy.

Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote